Can we have a keyboard shortcut to fill in TOTPs

Hi

Having the possibility to manage TOTPs which are then synched across multiple devices without the need to use a cloud provider is wonderful, I really love this feature.
It would however be much more convenient to have a keyboard shortcut or other option at hand that would allow automated filling in of TOTPs this would improve the workflow a lot.

Thanks for considering it as a feature request.
:)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @binaranomaly,

I've added your vote to see this happen as we do have an existing request for this. I don't know what route we'll end up going. I would prefer to see something baked into 1Password at the level where 1Password for Mac and iOS can share in the improvements but maybe we end up with a shortcut in 1Password for Mac. I know we'd all like to see something :smile:

ref: OPM-3053

• binaranomaly
    binaranomaly
    Community Member

Thanks, whatever comes first - I take it ;)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

:smile:

• imajes
    imajes
    Community Member

+1. I want to switch to 1pw for my TOTP provider, but getting to it via the app is complex and laborious. Some kind of quick access would be really helpful. Maybe via the 1pw mini menubar item?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @imajes,

My current workflow sounds sightly different from yours. I'll explain how I currently do this and see what you think. Let's use Dropbox as an example.

1. I visit Dropbox's login page and use ⌘\ to fill the username and password.
    2. Dropbox moves onto the TOTP page. I use ⌥⌘\ to bring up the 1Password mini menu. My Dropbox Login item is already highlighted.
    3. I use the right arrow key to open the details window/bubble for the item and then I use the down arrow key to move focus to the TOTP field.
    4. I tap the enter key to copy the current TOTP code to the clipboard, 1Password mini disappears and then I use ⌘V to paste into the right field.

I'm not suggesting that we don't need an improved system for interacting with TOTP codes but could that be slightly better than if you're going via the main app window?

• imajes
    imajes
    Community Member

@littlebobbytables: that workflow doesn't work if you have multiple logins for the same site. It'll always select the first one.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @imajes,

You are correct, assuming you have multiple Login items for the same site you would need to first use the down arrow key to highlight the correct Login item between the current steps 2 and 3 from above. I mostly use the keyboard when navigating the 1Password mini menu so to me this feels like it's more efficient but that's just my personal view and you may not feel the same way.

• imajes
    imajes
    Community Member

Yeah. either way, i'm doing a double digit character keypress dance to get to the TOTP. Something more intuitive would make a lot of sense.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @imajes,

It was only a thought, something that maybe made it a little easier while we wait for a proper solution. Pretty much the only thing that could be added to all of the above is that items marked as favourite always appear at the top of the list which should reduce the number of key presses, assuming some Login items are used more than others. That's something that might be useful for more than just TOTP. Other than that though it seems like be waiting to see what we do (much like us in support are too :smile:)

• imajes
    imajes
    Community Member

Yeah, really just :+1:'ing the feature request. :)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

:smile:

This discussion has been closed.