Adding a field after the fact

I have a form that asks my name and email address (no password) and it fills in the email address, but not the name. I can't see how to get 1Password to 'learn' about the name field afterward.

Actually the same thing happens with this Support Forum. The password is filled in, but not the email address. I'm not sure how to go in and tell 1Password about it. I moved from Lastpass and it had a 'Replace existing site' option.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @misty,

This is something we know we need to address. At the moment updating a Login item from within the browser will only update the password field. Now if the Login item's web form details contains an up-to-date record of the page the relevant field can be edited from within the main 1Password window and that should work. The gotcha is if the web form details isn't an accurate representation of all the fields on the page. Currently what we do is we use the web form details as a fingerprint of the page. If what we have recorded matches the page in front of us we'll use the web form details section to fill. If it doesn't match then we fall back to just trying to fill the username and password.

So the first page, the one with the form you might find the easiest way forward is to save a new Login item from within your browser using something like our How to manually save a Login guide as a reference. That will ensure the web form details of this new Login item is a match for the current form and it will fill in all the fields as they were when you saved the Login item.

With the second one I'm a little more surprised. The login form for our forums is pretty simple and pretty much no matter what the case it should be filling the two fields with whatever value is stored in the visible username and password fields at the top of all Login items. Here's a small screenshot that I hope highlights what I'm trying to convey. So with the basic login form all you should need to ensure is correct is the bit I've highlighted.

With more complex forms we need to look at the we form details.

As long as all the fields details here, and only these fields, are what make up the page then the values in the middle column will be used. If you need to tweak one of these fields you can edit here and it will use the new value but if you're finding 1Password isn't using the web form details at all then the easiest route is to save a new Login item.

I've added your query to see the ability to update the web form details section from within the browser as I do understand why it should be easier. Hopefully this helps explain the current behaviour though and what should work to get things going. Now if you're still experiencing issues please do let us know.

ref: OPM-2708

• misty
    misty
    Community Member

Adding a new site worked. I should have said that I imported all of my data from Lastpass, so it is possible that some fields didn't get mapped correctly. Thanks!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @misty,

I've never used Lastpass but even despite the amazing work MrC has done with his conversions, I would suspect it would be unbelievably difficult to convert that kind of data into the correct format. He would need to deeply understand how our filling brain works to even stand a shot. Things should be fine for any simple login page that only require the username and password field where falling back on the basic filling algorithm is all you need and reliably works, it will just be with the more 'interesting' sites where reserving should be a good first start and then potentially agreeable to editing the contents of existing fields.

Do keep asking questions though if you're unsure about anything :smile:

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited November 2015

@misty,

Were my converters used, or the built-in LastPass CSV importer?

Also, which platform are you using 1Password on?

FYI: the converters do not attempt to create the web form details - they only fill in the 1Password fields.

• misty
    misty
    Community Member

I just used the LastPass CSV export and the 1Password import. I didn't know about any other converters. For most things, it worked OK. I have had three sites (including 1password) that I had to redo.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @misty,

If the issue is limited to three sites, or at least, has been so far then hopefully recreating just those three doesn't seem too bad. I can definitely see how this would be a thing for those coming from a different password manager but I suspect this will be a very tricky aspect to overcome programmatically. Our web form details section is generated by reviewing the actual page that requires filling so if another format hasn't recorded all the data we require and in the right order etc. it would fall over. Still, it would be very cool if it could be done but this one might remain wishful thinking :smile:

This discussion has been closed.