Chrome prompts for Master Password after each restart

2»

Comments

• LosInvalidos
    LosInvalidos
    Community Member
    FYI: 1Password Beta - Version: 3.6.1.30937 brings no improvement.
  • LosInvalidos
    LosInvalidos
    Community Member
    I'll just keep updating this thread whenever I notice a new version ...

1Password Beta - Version: 3.6.1.30939 does not fix this.

• I'll just keep updating this thread whenever I notice a new version ...

1Password Beta - Version: 3.6.1.30939 does not fix this.

Thanks! But, you will be posting a LOT of posts here as I'm cranking out new betas pretty quick nowadays :)

I don't mind you bumping this thread every few weeks as I know this is an important issue but I haven't been able to recreate this problem on my machine so it's very difficult to track down the cause and/or make changes to try and fix it. With that said, I have been using "just" the Chrome beta channel and I hope to be able to recreate this when I test the dev channel (hopefully soon).

I recommend watching the Changelog to see if a new release contains anything related to this issue. As you see, 3.6.1.BETA-4 had a single, very focused change that had nothing to do with this thread, so I would have been amazed if it had helped :) Albeit, if it did, I'd like to know! :D

In addition to updating the changelog, I'll try to remember to update this thread as well when making any changes to address this.
  • LosInvalidos
    LosInvalidos
    Community Member
    My I ask, why you prefere using Chrome betas above Chromium betas? I can't seem to figure any good reason for that. The only difference is that Google does it's best to make some money mining all your data with chrome. That is not happening with Chromium and that's why I have a hard time trying to understand why some users prefere Chrome above Chromium.

• My I ask, why you prefere using Chrome betas above Chromium betas? I can't seem to figure any good reason for that. The only difference is that Google does it's best to make some money mining all your data with chrome. That is not happening with Chromium and that's why I have a hard time trying to understand why some users prefere Chrome above Chromium.

Mainly because I want to be as close as possible to what most Chrome users are using.

I'm not against Chromium, it's just yet-another configuration I need to maintain. Indeed, I had Chromium on my last MacBook Pro but it didn't survive the recent upgrade :)
  • LosInvalidos
    LosInvalidos
    Community Member
    dteare wrote:

Mainly because I want to be as close as possible to what most Chrome users are using.

I'm not against Chromium, it's just yet-another configuration I need to maintain. Indeed, I had Chromium on my last MacBook Pro but it didn't survive the recent upgrade :)

Yes, I understand your point and it's of course very valid. But as a user I don't understand if people argue like that. To say: I use, what most people are using is a somewhat self-fulfilling prophecy. But from your perspective (as a software developer / product manager) it makes total sense to first care about the formats that are most widely used.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    I think it is also a matter of development pace. In Chromium there is no such thing as stable or even beta. Chromium is only dev builds. Moving targets are much harder to hit. :S

Chrome stable settles things down just enough that we actually have a shot at having a working extension. :lol:

I do hope Dave corrects me if I am mistaken.

Oh, who am I kidding? I know he will (if only to maintain his lead in forum post count). :-P
  • LosInvalidos
    LosInvalidos
    Community Member
    edited April 2011
    Well there are stable chromium builds just as there are for chrome: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/36244/chromium

And if anybody has some time on their hands and is willing to contribute betas of chromium as well, he/she should get in touch with FreeSMUG (they are responsible for the stable chromium releases http://www.freesmug.org/chromium ). But they don't have the time to maintain additional beta-releases but would be willing to help someone who is looking to provide those. Maybe betas could be distributed over FreeSMUG as well?

So afaik, it's only a question of user contribution how soon we will see chromium betas adding to the chromium stables.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2011
    You are absolutely correct. I should have said no official Chromium stable or beta builds.

I think your explanation further underscores the difficulty in adding support for the myriad Chromium and Chromium-based browsers, though. :S

The good news is that as Chromium becomes more mature, I can only imagine supporting it will become easier. :-)
  • I woke up dreaming about this issue today and wanted to solve it once and for all today. Here's what I found so far:

• I installed the Chrome development release (12.0.733.0 dev) and everything unlocked correctly.
    • I went to the official Chromium blog article and downloaded the latest version, and it turns out I got the Chrome development release (12.0.733.0 dev) instead.
    • Confused, I came back to this thread and found LosInvalidos's nice Chromium links and downloaded the latest "stable" version of Chromium (10.0.648.204). This version fails to unlock automatically.

I'm pleased I was able to recreate the issue in Chromium and I'll investigate this further but I am very confused about the version numbering. Is Chromium really supposed to be 2 major versions behind Chrome's development version? I thought the entire point of Chromium was to be on the bleeding edge? Or, is the preference solely based on removal of the data mining aspect of Chrome?
  • I fixed the unlock problem in Chromium! (clap) The next 1Password beta will include this fix and with any luck make LosInvalidos very happy :)

I want to stress that my fix was for Chromium. I am still unsure why some users are experiencing this issue in Chrome. If we are ever able to recreate this issue in Chrome, we'll be very happy to fix it. Until then, we need more information so anyone with this issue is encouraged to keep providing updates and any details that might help.
  • thibaut
    thibaut
    Community Member
    That will make me happy as well as I have this problem for a long time. :)
    Congrats and thank you.
  • dteare wrote:
    I'm pleased I was able to recreate the issue in Chromium and I'll investigate this further but I am very confused about the version numbering. Is Chromium really supposed to be 2 major versions behind Chrome's development version? I thought the entire point of Chromium was to be on the bleeding edge? Or, is the preference solely based on removal of the data mining aspect of Chrome?
    Hi Dave,

It is a bit confusing. Chromium is nightly build only while Chrome has it own dev channels: dev, beta, stable, (canary soon for Mac)

• The Chromium project only provide the nightly (or continuous) builds, they build the binary downloads by using a continuous testing/build bot in the background. The specific mac nightly builds are available here: http://build.chromiu...romium-rel-mac/
    • You can use a chrome extension to download the latest nightly build of Chromium here: https://chrome.googl...dmdhfjlbigkcddl
    • The Chromium blog is mostly focused on early dev channels of the Chrome browser, http://www.chromium....ved/dev-channel
    • LosInvalidos’ link to Chromium isn’t official. It’s just a service provided by FreeSMUG to keep everybody on a consistant versioning system by providing the unofficial Chromium *stable* version, which doesn’t exist. They’ll always be behind Chromium’s nightly builds and likely behind the dev/canary channels as well.
    The one you want is: http://build.chromium.org/f/chromium/snapshots/chromium-rel-mac/
  • LosInvalidos
    LosInvalidos
    Community Member
    edited April 2011
    dteare wrote:

Is Chromium really supposed to be 2 major versions behind Chrome's development version? I thought the entire point of Chromium was to be on the bleeding edge? Or, is the preference solely based on removal of the data mining aspect of Chrome?

That's what I was trying to say with my recent posts: afaik, chrome and chromium are identical except chromium being the open source version without all the google data-mining going on. They are the same when it comes to stable versions. This is what the FreeSMUG is providing: stable builds of chromium, which will have the same version numbering. Not sure though about betas and I'm almost sure that the nightlies will differ.

To clarify this:
    Chromium: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/36244/chromium
    Chrome: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/32956/google-chrome

So Mike isn't 100% correct when he states that chromium is nightly only. Look at the stable releases (linked above) and you'll see that version numbers are the same. That's why I'm so puzzled that end-users choose to rather use chrome instead of chromium. Is it so hip, to give all your data to a company only interested in profit? With google people have to realize they are not customers but they themselves are the product (often used thesis. e.g. here: http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/columns/executive_tech/article.php/3801006/Googles-Business-Model-YOU-Are-the-Product.htm ).

But quite often people don't have the knowledge about all those details or they simply don't care because they don't think 5 steps ahead maybe only 1 or 2.

I hope I wasn't the one causing chromium nightmares for you! Sry that this followed you into the night, were you actually should rest. But yes, I'm incredibly happy that it is fixed and I'll be happy to test the latest nightly of chromium against it, as soon as I get the latest beta in my hands.

I'd bet it's fixed for the chrome folks as well. I once had contact with another developer of another software (also dealing with several browsers) and was asking for chromium support and he was able to use the existing chrome code and just make some tiny adjustments. Just saying they are really the same. So I don't see why the bug should persist in chrome.

Kudo to Dave clap2.gif
  • dteare
    edited April 2011

That's what I was trying to say with my recent posts: afaik, chrome and chromium are identical except chromium being the open source version without all the google data-mining going on. They are the same when it comes to stable versions. This is what the FreeSMUG is providing: stable builds of chromium, which will have the same version numbering. Not sure though about betas and I'm almost sure that the nightlies will differ.

This certainly matches what I learned today! :)

Unless I misunderstood things last time I played with Chromium, things have changed. That's ok though: change is the spice of life :D

I hope I wasn't the one causing chromium nightmares for you! Sry that this followed you into the night, were you actually should rest.

Yes you were, but don't worry, it wasn't a nightmare :) I was simply dreaming of how passionate you were for this feature and wanted to give it to you today.

We just released updates to fix this issue and some locking issues reported in another thread. Please upgrade to the latest 1Password beta (3.6.0 Beta #14) and Chrome extension beta (3.6.2 Beta #1) and verify it works for you.

Please let us know how it turns out. Thanks!
  • MikeT
    edited April 2011
    I can confirm that the 1Password Beta Chrome Extension [font="Helvetica, sans-serif"]Version: 3.6.2.30943 works with the auto-unlock settings now in Chromium (12.0.734.0 (81353)). [/font][font="Helvetica, sans-serif"]
    [/font]
    [font="Helvetica, sans-serif"]Huge thanks to Dave on fixing this![/font][font="Helvetica, sans-serif"]
    [/font]
    [font="Helvetica, sans-serif"]If you guys have updated to the latest 1Password Beta app, and are not sure how to use the latest Beta:[/font][font="Helvetica, sans-serif"]
    1. Remove the official 1Password extension from Chrome (Window > Extensions > 1Password > Uninstall)
    2. Install the beta extension from our download site — simply click “Continue” and “Install” when prompted.
    3. Restart Chrome to make sure everything is updated.
    4. Enjoy! icon_biggrin.gif

Since this fix is for Chromium only, it doesn’t fix the Chrome dev version for me:
    Google Chrome	12.0.712.0 (Official Build 79102) dev
    WebKit	534.27 (trunk@81703)
    V8	3.2.3.1
    User Agent	Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_7) AppleWebKit/534.27 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/12.0.712.0 Safari/534.27
    Command Line 	/Applications/Chrome Dev.app/Contents/MacOS/Google Chrome -psn_0_1011959 --flag-switches-begin --flag-switches-end

[/font][font="Helvetica, sans-serif"][font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"]
    [/font][/font][font="Helvetica, sans-serif"]
    [/font]
  • MikeT wrote:

I can confirm that the 1Password Beta Chrome Extension [font="Helvetica, sans-serif"]Version: 3.6.2.30943 works with the auto-unlock settings now in Chromium (12.0.734.0 (81353)). [/font][font="Helvetica, sans-serif"]

Great! Thanks for the update Mike.

MikeT wrote:
    Since this fix is for Chromium only, it doesn’t fix the Chrome dev version for me

AFAIK I am using the latest Chrome Development release (12.0.733.0 dev) and the unlocking is working fine. Where did you get yours from?
  • LosInvalidos
    LosInvalidos
    Community Member
    Works great with latest chromium nightly. You made my day, since Chromium has been my main browser for the last 2 months life was a little painful with having to enter the Master-PW each time and it's a great feeling getting rid of little annoyances, because then we can focus on what's really important in life. :)

Strange that it's not working with chrome - I wish you good luck tracking this and nailing it. If you are in desperate need for chrome testers I could help out, but I don#t currently use chrome. So just let me know, if no one else replies.
  • MikeT
    edited April 2011
    [font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"]

To clarify this:
    Chromium: http://www.macupdate.../36244/chromium
    Chrome: http://www.macupdate...6/google-chrome

So Mike isn't 100% correct when he states that chromium is nightly only. Look at the stable releases (linked above) and you'll see that version numbers are the same. That's why I'm so puzzled that end-users choose to rather use chrome instead of chromium. Is it so hip, to give all your data to a company only interested in profit? With google people have to realize they are not customers but they themselves are the product (often used thesis. e.g. here: http://itmanagement....the-Product.htm ).
    Hi LosInvalidos, [/font]
    [font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"] [/font]
    [font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"]Look at the Developer info in the Chromium link from MacUpdate and click on it. it is not an official Chromium partner or from the Chromium Project. FreeSMUG picked it, packaged Sparkle, built it themselves and then submitted it to the site. That doesn't make it a stable or official build from Chromium project. Anybody can build the source code and add something to it. By using that link, you are trusting the fact that FreeSMUG won't add anything *special* to it. It wouldn't be any more secure than Google itself. Also in the description, it said: "[/font]FreeSMUG-Free OpenSource Mac User Group build is based on the stable Chrome code plus "Check for Updates..." command." If that's true, you are using Chrome's source code that includes Google stuff. Chrome is based on Chromium, Chromium itself isn't based on Chrome. So, maybe they meant it's based on Chromium. No idea here, we'd have to look at the source code and see if Google's data mining code is in there.

[font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"][font=Helvetica, Arial][/font]
    dteare wrote:
    AFAIK I am using the latest Chrome Development release (12.0.733.0 dev) and the unlocking is working fine. Where did you get yours from?
    AFAIK, 12.0.712.0 dev is the latest Chrome Dev build for me. The build is from the official Dev channel at Google's Chromium page: https://sites.google...ved/dev-channel[/font][font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"] [/font]
    [font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"][/font]
    [font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"]I just downloaded it again from that site, it's still 12.0.712.0 for me.[/font]
  • MikeT wrote:

AFAIK, 12.0.712.0 dev is the latest Chrome Dev build for me. The build is from the official Dev channel at Google's Chromium page: https://sites.google...ved/dev-channel

I just downloaded it again from that site, it's still 12.0.712.0 for me.

How very odd. I went to your link, then clicked on the Dev channel link under the Subscribing to a channel > Mac heading, a fresh download started (no cache), I copied it to a clean folder (i.e. did not replace an old copy) and I get 12.0.733.0:

About_Google_Chrome-20110414-104420.png

This is the dev channel, so I guess we can just wait a few days and see what we get autoupdated to :)
  • Dave, I trashed it with the plist. That finally got my up to your version, I’m not sure why that worked.

After this, Chrome Dev, Beta and Stable now works with your new extension. WOOHOO!

• MikeT wrote:

Dave, I trashed it with the plist. That finally got my up to your version, I’m not sure why that worked.

After this, Chrome Dev, Beta and Stable now works with your new extension. WOOHOO!

Awesome!! This is great news.

I think it's time we close this 3 page thread as it covers so many various topics. If anyone has similar issues, please open a new, focused thread.
This discussion has been closed.