How does fingerprint unlocking work?

ntimo
ntimo
Community Member

So how does fingerprint unlocking on Android or Ios work? Because in my option the encryption keys are encryted with my master password. But now when I use fingerprint unlocking how can my fingerprint unlock the masterpassword because these two are not the same? So so do you save the masterpassword encryted with the fingerprint? And isn’t that less secure? And how does the masterpassword ist stored and saved? Does it use the Android secure storage system chip? For passords? But for me fingerprint unlocking is intresting because so no one can look at my phone and see password iam typing in. So in its own way it would be more secure even when its technicly more unsecure?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @ntimo. I am so glad you are thinking strongly about the security of your data - thats what we like to see. :) Unlocking your vault using your fingerprint is not yet available on Android so I'm not able to comment what will happen behind the scenes yet. However for Touch ID on iOS, we explain how it works with 1Password in the Touch ID FAQ. Let me know if you have any other questions!

• sfotyler
    sfotyler
    Community Member

Any updates on a release date yet? Marshmallow is rolling out quickly and this is an awesome feature on ios. I miss it terribly since switching to 1password for Android.

• We don't have a set release date yet, but we're super excited to get fingerprint unlock out. :) Keep posted!

This discussion has been closed.