Unlock issues: Touch ID missing [under investigation]

Options

Comments

• ebernet
    ebernet
    Community Member
    Options

Oye. I was afraid you wanted me to try something like setting up from scratch. 128 GB iPhone. 4+ hours of setup and restoring everything. 800+ passwords in Dropbox. I'll try and set as new if I must, but I'd rather not...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Oye. I was afraid you wanted me to try something like setting up from scratch.

@ebernet: Hey, if the answer is no, that's totally okay! Just hear me out. ;)

It's entirely up to you, but if you're willing, I'd like you to do iOS Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings. I'll go into more detail of what this does and doesn't do:

• This is not a factory reset. It does not remove any apps or app data.
    • This will wipe your Apple Pay, saved login credentials, and Touch ID data(!)
    • This will not reset your network settings. There's a separate option for that.

I'm only suggesting this after being advised to do it myself recently and finding it rather helpful (for a separate software issue) and not too terribly painful. For instance, it didn't require me to restore from an iCloud backup again (a rather long process).

So again, it's entirely up to you. For me, it solved some random crashing issues and a Touch ID problem with another app, so it may help in this case as well. There is a lot that carries over in a backup, and short of doing a complete factory reset, this is the most you can do to clean things up. I'm still dealing with some battery issues, but I'm willing to live with those rather than resort to setting it up as a new device. So it's your call if you'd like to try this, or simply live with this issue unless or until we can find a fix. :pirate:

• ebernet
    ebernet
    Community Member
    Options

I understand, however. I have many passwords. I have 5 cards in my Apple Pay, and two of them required me to call into the banks. I don't really like the idea of having repeated interactions with them.
    I can see this is an issue for more than just me, therefore I am assuming something will materialize that is more informational. Additionally, you are not asking me to do anything that might be beneficial to you guys in resolving the issue - it is not as if I have a beta or debug build, so my telling you guys that that resolved it is no further along in helping other users get a fixed version. I assume you are not going to tell all the users out there that to resolve a bug that you guys have they must all reset their devices.
    If you would like to get me a debug build, or something that can help you resolve the issue, then I may try it. Otherwise, I don't really want to waste a couple of hours out of my life for something that will be resolved in due time. Telling you that doing that fixed it will bring us no further along in resolving the issue.

• jomeara
    jomeara
    Community Member
    Options

I'm back. Unfortunately.
    Now I am having problems with my iPhone 6S Plus.
    I have iOS 9.0.2.
    Symptoms:
    1. Crashing.
    2. Painfully long opening times: 10 seconds for the Touch ID prompt to appear; as much as 15 seconds for 1Password to open after using Touch ID.
    I don't see any exact pattern
    I have turned Touch ID off and back on in the Security settings
    I have force quit 1Password
    I have shut down the iPhone and restarted

Nothing helps.

It seems that iOS 9 has caused problems for 1Password.

So I am open to suggestions.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I understand, however. I have many passwords. I have 5 cards in my Apple Pay, and two of them required me to call into the banks. I don't really like the idea of having repeated interactions with them.

@ebernet: Me neither! I know that was the most unpleasant part of the process for me, so I wanted to make sure I mentioned it. No worries!

I assume you are not going to tell all the users out there that to resolve a bug that you guys have they must all reset their devices.

If it is necessary to reset Touch ID settings fully to get it working, then yes. But I sincerely hope that this will not be the case. But of course if my hunch is right and the issue may be in the settings of Touch ID itself...

I'm back. Unfortunately. Now I am having problems with my iPhone 6S Plus.

@jomeara: It sounds like it was working for you previously. Can you tell me the steps you took prior to the problem appearing on your iPhone 6S Plus? Spare no detail!

• jomeara
    jomeara
    Community Member
    Options

I did not have a problem with the phone before, it was just the iPad. iPhone was fine under 9.0.1 but then started giving problems, perhaps after upgrading to 9.0.2 but I can't be certain. I also switched from an iPhone 6 to an iPhone 6S Plus, but can't be certain that that was the proximate cause of the issue,

The iPad seems to mostly work okay. I tried it just now, and it tooks a few seconds for the Touch ID alert to appear but not very long. When I closed 1 Password and reopened it, it was much more responsive (nearly instantaneous).

Just tried the iPhone now, it started up, not responsive, no Touch ID alert and then crashed.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I also switched from an iPhone 6 to an iPhone 6S Plus, but can't be certain that that was the proximate cause of the issue,

@jomeara: That's what I suspected! As far as I can tell, this doesn't seem to be occurring on devices set up as new, but rather only with those restored from a backup of a previous device. Is that what you're describing?

• jomeara
    jomeara
    Community Member
    Options

Yes.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jomeara: Thanks for confirming! I think we're getting somewhere. ;)

• borgheart
    borgheart
    Community Member
    Options

Its been three weeks now of interminably slow access to 1Password on my phone. You folks acknowledged that you could duplicate the issue. How much longer should I expect to have to deal with this? I've taken to typing in the gawd-awful "safe" passwords because its faster than waiting for it to open! Sorry, I use 1P on multiple devices and have come to depend on it and its frustrating when this takes so long to fix. I've heard nothing much back since my initial support request other than that they see it and are working on it......

• Ben
    Options

Hi @borgheart,

Unfortunately acknowledging that we can duplicate an issue is only the very first step in fixing it. I understand the frustration caused by this bug. Unfortunately we cannot share any sort of an ETA (on any feature requests / bug fixes). What I can say is that because this is a regression (it worked before and doesn't now) it is high on our list of priorities. That doesn't change the fact that when a bug is reported we have to:

1) Confirm / reproduce the issue
    2) Free up development resources to work on finding the source of the issue
    3) Find the code that is causing the issue
    4) Write code to fix the problem, without creating other problems
    5) Review and test the proposed fix internally
    6) Push an update to our external beta testers for further testing
    7) Receive enough feedback that we're confident that not only have we fixed the reported issue but that we haven't caused any other issues
    8) Push an update to Apple
    9) Wait in Apple's review queue
    10) Publish the update to the App Store

All of these steps take time, and most of them are essential (cannot be skipped). Some are outside of our control. I don't say this to sidestep the issue -- as I mentioned it is definitely one of our top priorities, but to give some explanation for the delay you experience between updates. The process frankly cannot happen overnight.

I know none of this gets things working properly for you but I hope it provides some insight into the process. We're not simply sitting on our hands. :)

Thanks!

Ben

• ebernet
    ebernet
    Community Member
    Options

The new update brings up the touch ID unlock as quickly as it used to be before the bug. However, it still takes a good 15+ seconds before it presents the passwords, and sometimes crashes. At least it is some progress....

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update @ebernet. That is consistent with the other reports we've heard as well.

• ebernet
    ebernet
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I hope that helps the process.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Indeed. I'm sorry that some issues still remain, but we won't give up until things are working smoothly for everyone again. Thanks so much for your patience!

• borgheart
    borgheart
    Community Member
    Options

I'm glad you're still working on this. Turning off Touch ID is a pain after using it so happily for a while. Its just unusable for me at this point. I'm on an iPhone 6 with the latest updates everywhere but still no joy.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@borgheart: I'm really sorry about that. Thanks so much for your continued patience. We have some updates in the works, so keep an eye out. The iOS 9.2 beta looks promising as well.

• jomeara
    jomeara
    Community Member
    Options

Update: 1Password seems to work fine on iPad, most current version + iOS9.'
    HOWEVER: iPhone still an issue. Touch ID 'works' but then app takes extremely long time to open. I timed it at 20 seconds. It seems like an eternity, whereas iPad is nearly instantaneous.
    One some occasions it will crash after Touch ID is applied.

Thanks for any further information or advice.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update @jomeara. We're continuing to work on this issue.

• oed
    oed
    Community Member
    Options

I cannot believe how bad this problem this. I've been using 1password since the beginning on the Mac and since its first version on iOS. I've gotten countless people to follow me like zombies mumbling "1password, 1password, 1password". Even when iCloud Keychain might have been an easier solution for them, I preached the gospel of 1password.
    And then I upgraded to an iPhone 6sPlus. And I find myself screwed. As in unable to open my beloved and absolutely crucial 1password database for 15-20 seconds when using TouchID, and when it does NOT crash, which is about a 50-50 shot.
    I've been looking at this thread for more than a month, followed every suggestion to no avail.
    Then, to my absolute delight, I saw a new version of 1password in the AppStore which I quickly installed, expecting a return to bliss. WRONG!!!
    I hope I can remember the password I used to register for this forum to post because I finally gave up trying to get 1 password to open after 25 attempts: allow me to clarify-- that includes force quitting the app, TouchID and waiting only to have it quit, launching it and TouchID and waiting more than 30 seconds for it to quit, forcing the backgrounded app to quick and launching again etc wtc etc.
    this is after I restarted my iPhone after installing the new version of the app.

What I'm trying to say is that the Touch ID problem is not fixed, nor has it been fixed for at least a month for me. Not including today's fiasco, my new 1password workflow is to expect a minimum of 20 seconds and 3 crashes before the app will open. As you are aware, some design decision made it an either/or proposal for Touch ID and a PIN number. So I can't revert to a pin, I don't want to type my master password hundreds of times a day, and I refuse to make my system less secure by putting in a short master pass until you figure out this massive problem.

If I can manage to get back into the app today, I will send you the Diagnostics Report.

To be clear: TouchID has never disappeared. It has Always been painfully slow (it recognizes my thumb instantly and then sits thinking with the 1password lock showing for what feels like ages but I suspect is 20-30 seconds). I am running the latest iOS and always have been on my 6sPlus. The fingerprint lock works exceptionally well everywhere except 1password. I sync via iCloud, though yesterday I added a second vault to sync with an android phone I was forced to get. That is synced via Dropbox. But 1password acted exactly the same all day yesterday. Predictably slow as molasses with no more than say 3 crashes in a row on iOS. It is only after this most recent update and the restart that the crash counter has hit in the 20s in a row.

I hope I haven't left anything out. Like I said, as soon as I can get access to the diagnostic report, I will send it in to support+forums@agilebits.com

I really hope this gets worked out soon cause I'm at the end of my frustration rope. I just do not understand how I seem to be one of the only people with this issue--it's not a sneaky occasional bug. It's slam right in your face obvious!! I don't understand.

Ok, I'm off to try to open the damn thing to get a report out of it since I'm paralyzed until I do so
    Cheers,
    Oliver Delano

• Ben
    Options

Hi Oliver ( @oed ),

I'm truly sorry for the continued difficulty here. Just to confirm -- you've updated to v6.1 of 1Password for iOS and the problem still exists?

it's not a sneaky occasional bug. It's slam right in your face obvious!! I don't understand.

Part of the difficulty is that while we have a handful of reports of this problem from customers, it certainly is not a universal problem. It does not happen on any of my test devices, for example. We have reached out to Apple for assistance with this issue, as what we do on our end as far as Touch ID is concerned is very basic...

Please let me know.

Ben

• oed
    oed
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben,

First, yes I just updated to v6.1 and I sent my diagnostics report in about 10 minutes ago tagged in the subject with the name of this thread.

Second, I'm sorry it came out that way-- I didn't mean to imply it was an obvious bug to you that you were not fixing. What I meant to say was that I've experienced bugs in my career that occur once every third full moon if there's a striped lizard with 30 meters of the server that not being queried, for example. Impossible situations to observe!! But at least from my standpoint, 1password has never worked correctly and quickly with the TouchID feature. I wish I could log out some statements at start of TouchID and (assuming no crash) at completion and unlock of database so you could just see the sheer amount of time I'm talking about here. The only reason I didn't comment before was because I assumed you were getting flooded with bug reports and didn't need another whiney-pants. Well, here I am-- you got me anyways ;)
    Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help you to track this down. I'll do anything including but not limited to running debug versions to give you a clearer picture of what's going on. It's paralyzing on my end, so I'm free to help.

Please don't take offense-- none was intended.

Thanks for responding so quickly,
    Oliver Delano

• Ben
    Options

No offense taken. :) I just wanted to offer some explanation (at least in part) as to why this has taken what may seem to be a long time to resolve. It isn't intermittent in the way you've described (no lizard needed) but is intermittent in the sense that it only happens on a limited selection of devices, and we've been unable to determine what those devices have in common.

Thanks for sending in the report. Could you please let me know what support ID you got back from BitBot for that?

Ben

• Ben
    Options

I just spoke with one of our lead iOS developers as a result of this conversation. He indicated that we are aware the issue still exists in v6.1 (unfortunately) but there has been some progress made and we do have some code changes that we are hopefully will address the problem.

I understand this is an incredibly frustrating issue -- it has been for us as well. Fortunately it appears there is an end in sight. I don't have an ETA on when an update with this fix will be available but this is excellent news, considering the difficulty we had in tracking this issue down.

Ben

• oed
    oed
    Community Member
    Options

That's fantastic!!!!!
    To address your previous post-- would bitbot email me the support ID? (Can't find an email) or would it appear in the app? (Can't get back in the app grrrr). I sent it to the default address that is auto populated when you hit diagnostic and to forums+support@agilebits.com based on an earlier post I can't seem to find in this thread atm.

Should I redo the diagnostic email sending and if so should I send it to the 2 addresses or just the 1 that's auto filled, and how do I get a reply from bitbot?
    Oliver

• Ben
    Options

Oliver,

If your email had reached our system you would've received an automated reply from BitBot with a support ID. If you haven't received this auto-response, we haven't received your email. I also double checked by doing a search for messages in our inbox from the email address you used to register here for the forums and didn't see any emails.

Based on this update though it doesn't appear a report will be necessary.

Thanks!

Ben

P.S. The address is either support+forums@agilebits.com or support+ios@agilebits.com... I'm not sure forums+support@agilebits.com will work.

• oed
    oed
    Community Member
    Options

Oops, my bad.
    Well thank you very much, and if there's anything I can do at any point, please let me know-- I'm more than happy to help out.
    Thanks again, Ben.
    Cheers,
    Oliver.

• Ben
    Options

No worries. :) And thank you!

• oed
    oed
    Community Member
    Options

Well Ben, apparently bitbot finally got back to me at 8:30pm Est!!
    I know you don't need it, but here 'this nonetheless:
    [#RPG-45659-914]

I am struggling big time with v.6.1, so if you do a beta test on the new code, please consider me. I have been a 1password Mac user since day 1 without fail, and same for iPhone and iPad.

Thanks again,
    Oliver.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@oed: Thanks! I see that we've received your email, so we can continue the conversation there. We'll take a look at the diagnostics and get back to you shortly!

I also want to thank you for your willingness to help. I only wish you didn't have such an infuriating issue plaguing you as your motivation. And I appreciate your thorough, excruciatingly detailed description of the problem. Not having this issue myself, it really helps bring home how I'd feel in a similar situation. I've let the development team know you'd be willing to run a debug build if it will help track this down or confirm a fix. Thanks so much for your longtime support and continued patience with this particular issue. :blush:

ref: RPG-45659-914

This discussion has been closed.