Searching multiple vaults

Options
bluewomble
bluewomble
Community Member

I have three password vaults that I use regularly, a personal one, a work one and one I share with my wife for shared logins.

When I search for a login in the 1password app, it only searches the current / selected vault. Would it be possible to have 1password search all of my vaults instead? I guess when you're creating a new login, you would have to specify which vault you want to save it in, but that would also be useful... Also, it would be nice if I could move logins from one vault to another from within the iOS app.

Does that make sense?

Thanks,
Ash.

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi Ash ( @bluewomble ),

Thanks for taking the time to write to us with this feedback. Improved multiple vault support is definitely on the list of things we'd like to do. I'll add your vote to the request. :)

Thanks!

Ben

• krichter
    krichter
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben,

Please add my enthusiastic vote as well. I am in the exact same boat as Ash. One of my favorite things about the iOS app is how it searches across vaults.

A related irritant is how 1Password will auto-fill if there's only one hit found, which is frustrating when I want to hit cmd-\ and then cmd-2 to switch to my second vault, but it found a hit on my personal vault so I have to use the mouse to switch vaults and try again.

Best,
    Kevin

• Ben
    Options

Thanks, @krichter.

• bigphaty
    bigphaty
    Community Member
    Options

I second (or third) this request. Multiple vaults is a killer feature, but the current search makes it kinda cumbersome. Thanks for the awesome app.

• Ben
    Options

We're definitely looking into ways of making multiple vaults a more valuable feature. :)

• Newell
    Newell
    Community Member
    Options

I'm definitely in the same situation: searching across multiple vaults is my number one request. My number two would be if Apple allowed iCloud to share in the same way Dropbox does so all of this could happen as effortlessly as single-vault usage, although I acknowledge that is not an Agile Bits problem.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the feedback, @Newell.

• alforj
    alforj
    Community Member
    Options

Obviously a lot of people have chimed in on the request to "search across vaults" for both Mac and iOS. Personally, I can live with the way Mac and 1P-mini have implemented it, but on the iOS version it is a little frustrating. While I understand searching across all is problematic to implement, I would like to request as least making searching across vaults on iOS easier by always showing the vault icon on the Categories screen and allowing me to switch when the item isn't found in the current vault. When you initially go to the Categories screen, the ability to switch vaults is there (GREAT!), however once you start searching, the vault icon goes away and you are locked into the current vault unless you completely cancel the search to get the vault icon to return to the screen, select a different vault, and then retype the entire search criteria (NOT GREAT!). If the vault icon stayed on the screen while searching and could be accessed/changed to use the current search criteria in a different vault, it would essential work like the Option-1, Option-2, etc. features in the Mac. While still not a "search across all vaults" feature, this would at least make searching across the vaults in iOS a little less painful.

Thanks guys. Love the product.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @alforj,

This is definitely something we're taking a close look at. Making multiple vaults more usable is definitely on the radar. Thanks for the feedback!

Ben

• giezi
    giezi
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Agilebits Team,

A possibility to search across multiple vaults would be very nice!
    We have multiple vaults in our company and it's always a pain to search manually in all vaults.

A global search would be a really great feature.

Thank you for consider our feedback.

best regards
    Giezi

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the feedback @Giezi. We've been playing around with some options in this regard and if all goes well we should have something to show soon.

Ben

• edgrsanchez
    edgrsanchez
    Community Member
    Options

@bwoodruff , thanks! I'm glad to see you guys are making progress in this. Can't wait to see what you've implemented.

• Ben
    Options

You're very welcome. If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

• stec
    stec
    Community Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

I am looking forward to see these new improvements. I have recently transitioned to multiple vault, since I was reach more than on thousand items in a single one. Now it is a pain to find something in them. 1P mini clear the search on switch (why? :'( ) and there is no way to get additional results from other vault, in particular when the current one does not provide any. I hope you will astonish me with clever solution to these problems soon. And I hope this will be not IOS only, but over all the platforms.

• Ben
    Options

Hi folks,

In v6.1 for iOS we implemented our "All Vaults" feature which allows you to view (and search!) items across any/all of your vaults. :)

Thanks!

Ben

• newikner
    newikner
    Community Member
    Options

I add my vote for this. I just started using multiple vaults. One of my secondary vaults is shared with my wife and another is shared with my father. This is convenient for keeping everybody synchronized with the items that they need. But a huge disadvantage is having to remember what vault a particular item is in and, often failing that, searching multiple vaults individually to find the item. Not being able to search multiple vaults simultaneously is a major flaw in the multiple-vaults paradigm.

Another problem: during the transition from individual vaults to shared vaults, there are inevitable conflicts where, for example, one person will have updated a password but neglected to inform the other users of that account. Shared vaults should make this a thing of the past; but, finding and cleaning up those conflicts is much more difficult without the ability to see those records side by side.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @newikner,

Did you see my post, just above? What you're requesting, as far as search, is now possible. :)

Ben

• newikner
    newikner
    Community Member
    Options

Your post says it works in iOS. If it works in the Mac Desktop App, I don't know how to use it.

• Ben
    Options

Sorry about that, @newikner. This is the iOS discussion forum, so I assumed you were referring to 1Password for iOS. One of our goals is feature parity across platforms, so I imagine we'll be seeing something similar for Mac as well. :)

• newikner
    newikner
    Community Member
    Options

Ah! Well, I tried to be a good citizen and search the forums before posting. The search found my problem, but in the wrong forum. I did not notice which forum it was in. Should I post my complaint in the Mac forum?

• Ben
    Options

No worries. :)

The same feature is currently in beta for Mac, so with any luck we will have a release including that soon. Unfortunately I don't have any more specifics than that.

This discussion has been closed.