Keep iPhone awake during WiFi sync with Windows

Options

Hello,

it is very annoying that 1PW does not keep the iPhone awake during synchronization via WiFi with Windows. I always have to touch the iPhone during sync so that it won´t go to sleep.

Please, can this issue be solved with an update?

Thanks, Tom

iOS: 1PW 6.1, Windows: 4.6.0 Beta-593

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @paulLee ,

I can certainly pass that request on to our developers. If I may ask, how long does it usually take to sync your iPhone to your Windows PC?

Thanks,
    Kevin

• pauLee
    pauLee
    Community Member
    Options

Sometimes up to 5 minutes or more. It depends on how long ago the last sync was made.

I have more than 700 items in my vault.

• Good morning @pauLee. 5 minutes seems like quite the amount of time to perform a sync, even with that number of items. For comparison I have about 1000 items in my vault and it will sync via Wi-Fi in a matter of seconds. Do you have a number of attachments in your vault by any chance?

• pauLee
    pauLee
    Community Member
    Options

I sync iOS with Mac OS (at home) and Windows (at work). With Mac OS sync is fast but with windows it´s horrible slow.

I don´t have a lot attachments.

When I sync with windows and have synced with Mac OS before it seems syncing each item (like has never been syncing before, because I change the WiFi network).

• Hi @PauLee,

before it seems syncing each item (like has never been syncing before, because I change the WiFi network).

That is exactly what's happening, each time you change the Wi-Fi sync between PC and Mac, it has to sync the entire vault at once and compare each item to make sure it has everything. On Windows, it will perform a full database sync each time you do a Wi-Fi sync as well. The OS X has a better and faster framework it can use that we don't have yet on other platforms.

For a large database on Windows, five minutes sounds right for your size. It takes me about 2-3 minutes on my side for 800 items on a fast system. It is sending a batch of 100 items to ensure we don't overload the process but for now, this is by design.

We do have plans to redesign this to make it more efficient but it may take a while to get there.

For now, we'll check to see if we can avoid the iPhone from going to sleep, this may not be possible due to Apple's rules.

• pauLee
    pauLee
    Community Member
    Options

I think some Apps are using a small (a second or less) quite sound file playing in background to avoid that the iPhone falls into sleep ;)

• Hi @pauLee,

:P I'm sure we do not want to incur the wraith of the Internet (and Apple) that the other company got for doing the same thing as it caused a huge battery drain and also the reason it is a violation of Apple rules as it hamper the overall iOS experience.

Also, there are security exploits and ad tracking that can be done with audio files as well, so that's something to look out for.

This discussion has been closed.