Can't download Firefox extension for 1 Password

Options
terry_trinder
terry_trinder
Community Member

Hi Guys

I'm running 1Password v 5.4.1 (latest, 541003) on a late 2012 iMac, running El Capitan (latest - 10.11.1) and also Firefox latest (v 42) and I simply can't download the 1 password extension. I am running Avast Mac Security 2015 anti-virus (v 11.3 - 45420)

Every time I try to download the Firefox extension, I get a popup "Firefox prevented this site from asking you to install software on this computer" - that is expected - but after I click on "Allow" it always returns with this error message "this add-on could not be downloaded because of a connection failure"

I've even tried to add the agilebits (agilebits.com as https) address into Avast's address web shield settings so that it isn't scanned by the web shield, but that doesn't work.

I used to have access to the 1Password extension and it is quite inconvenient not to have that now
Please can you help me get this running?

cheers Terry

1Password Version: 5.4.1
Extension Version: ?
OS Version: OSX 10.11.1
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:can't install firefox extension running 1Password v5.4.1

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @terry_trinder,

I'm sorry you keep getting an error when trying to install the extension for Firefox!

It sounds like Avast is the culprit here. Would it be possible to temporarily disable Avast to see if that allows you to install the 1Password extension?

If that doesn't help or you don't want to disable Avast temporarily, you can try downloading the Firefox extension from a different browser and then install it in Firefox:

• Open the following link in Safari: https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions
    • Click the link for Show all extensions.
    • Click the Install button for Firefox in order to download the extension.
    • Find the downloaded extension in your Downloads folder and drag it into a Firefox window.
    • Firefox should ask if you want to install the extension - click Install.

If you have trouble dragging the extension into a Firefox window, you can double-click the .xpi file that you downloaded. It should give you the option to Choose Application, and when you click that, a dialog will open so you can pick Firefox (if Firefox is grayed out, change the "Enable" popup menu to All Applications, and then you'll be able to choose Firefox).

Does that help? Let us know how it goes, thanks!

• terry_trinder
    terry_trinder
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Drew
    Sorry about delay in replying - I've been away for a few days.
    Right then - turning off Avast, then downloading the extension from Firefox and dragging it into the Firefox window worked a treat!
    many thanks for your help!
    cheers
    Terry :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Excellent! Thanks for the update. On behalf of Drew, you are most welcome! I'm glad to hear that all is well. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.