MrC's Convert to 1Password Utility (mrc-converter-suite)

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@AnBeSG ,

Would you like some Remote help? If so, send me an email (my email is at the top of the script), and we'll get this solved quickly.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited October 2015

Just a quick follow-up. I created a slightly modified version of the converter to work with @AnBeSG's Mountain Lion (10.8.5) system, and he has since converted from HandySafe.

A Hat's Off to @thightower for the assist.

• fowlesp
    fowlesp
    Community Member

@MrC

Thanks for the information. I'll give this a shot

One question. If 1Password has an internal (unique) name for each field, and section are these defined/listed somewhere?

I'd like the imports to replicate the default sections and fields, if possible

Best regards
    Peter

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@fowlesp

Great! Let me know how it goes.

Each category in 1Password has a set of fields know by certain keywords. These are not unique across all categories, only within a category. You can see these names in the file Utils/Pif.pm, in the large table of categories and their fields.

The converter tries to best map a password manager's categories into 1Password's.

• fowlesp
    fowlesp
    Community Member
    edited November 2015

@MrC

Firstly, thanks for the help on this.

Between the guidance posted on this forum (thank you all :-) and the direct help from @MrC and his conversion script I have successfully transferred my secure information from SplashId to 1Password.

Feel free to close this request as "Fixed"

Thanks again

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

Thanks @fowlesp,

With your great testing and encouragement, you prompted me to add the new --allfields (or -a) option to the SplashID converter. This option causes those fields that don't map one-to-one with 1Password fields to be placed as custom fields within a custom section instead of going to the notes section for the entry.

I'll start adding this capability to other converters.

• Higgins_Sweden
    Higgins_Sweden
    Community Member

I have just downloaded 1Password after giving up on SplashID. There have been too many times that their server was down and I could not access my info. - not good. I am not a computer whiz at all, so I see posts above about SplashID and it's like reading German to me. Can you tell me if there is a simple way to export my info from SplashID and import it into 1Password?
    Thank you!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited November 2015

@Higgins_Sweden ,

Sure, I'm happy to help.

You can ignore all the posts in this thread - they are mostly one-on-one help and requests from individual users. So let's get started with yours...

Which OS are you using?

• Higgins_Sweden
    Higgins_Sweden
    Community Member

El Capitan version 10.11

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited November 2015

@Higgins_Sweden ,

Ok, Great.

Go ahead and follow the instructions in the first post in this thread. Download the converter package, and export your SplashID data as per the instructions in the included README.pdf. Open the AppleScript Helper, and select SplashID, and then select your exported SplashID file and follow the few remaining steps.

• Higgins_Sweden
    Higgins_Sweden
    Community Member

Great thank you! It worked! How do I change the icons for each of the items to personalize them?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

Hi @Higgins_Sweden,

Good to hear of your success.

If you have Rich Icons enabled, many / most of your Login items will pull rich icons from the AgileBits icon service.

To add your own icons, you can paste images into the icon area when you edit an item.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Great thank you! It worked! How do I change the icons for each of the items to personalize them?

@Higgins_Sweden: Indeed, just select an item, click Edit over on the right, and then you can either drag an image to the icon at the top, or double-click the default icon to select an image manually. I hope this helps! :)

• Higgins_Sweden
    Higgins_Sweden
    Community Member

Yes, Thank you!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Any time! be sure to let us know if you have any other questions. :chuffed:

• WGFinley
    WGFinley
    Community Member

I've been a long time user and advocate of mSecure but over the past year or so it's become clear they've fallen behind on development. I was frightened of having to move over to another platform though, once I found this nifty little tool though I dove right in. It worked flawlessly and in just a matter of minutes. Thanks for making such a great tool that brought me over to 1Password.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@WGFinley,

You're welcome.

By the way, I'm almost finished with making changes to the converter suite to support mapping all of the unmapped fields that goes to the Notes section as key:value pairs to be instead mapped to custom fields in the record. The mSecure converter is already done. Let me know if you want to use it.

• WGFinley
    WGFinley
    Community Member

@MrC I didn't have too many that came over into there so I think I'm good. Good luck with the update, I hope AgileBits is including some commission for you, don't think I would have purchased without a tool like yours available. :)

• Femaven
    Femaven
    Community Member

I'm having issues running the converter. Am I doing something wrong?

\onepassword-utilities-master\onepassword-utilities-master\convert_to_1p4>perl convert_to_1p4.pl --help
    Bareword found where operator expected at convert_to_1p4.pl line 5, near ""en" class" (Missing operator before class?)
    Bareword found where operator expected at convert_to_1p4.pl line 13, near "onepassword" (Missing operator before onepassword?)
    Can't modify numeric lt (<) in scalar assignment at convert_to_1p4.pl line 5, near ""en" class" syntax error at convert_to_1p4.pl line 5, near ""en" class"
    Unrecognized character \xC2; marked by <-- HERE after at master <-- HERE near column 62 at convert_to_1p4.pl line 13.

Module versions & Status

onepassword-utilities-master\onepassword-utilities-master\convert_to_1p4>cpan Date::Calc
    CPAN: CPAN::SQLite loaded ok (v0.202)
    Database was generated on Thu, 19 Nov 2015 17:39:58 GMT
    CPAN: Module::CoreList loaded ok (v2.83)
    Date::Calc is up to date (6.4).

onepassword-utilities-master\onepassword-utilities-master\convert_to_1p4>cpan Text::CSV
    Text::CSV is up to date (1.33).

onepassword-utilities-master\onepassword-utilities-master\convert_to_1p4>cpan XML::XPath
    XML::XPath is up to date (1.13)..

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited November 2015

Hi @Femaven ,

Can you tell me exactly which Strawberry Perl version you grabbed?

That error message doesn't even make sense, given that the file convert_to_1p4.pl does not contain the text "en" class anywhere.

What are the first 10 lines of the convert_to_1p4.pl script?

• Femaven
    Femaven
    Community Member

@MrC
    Strawberry Perl (64-bit) 5.16.3.1-64bit
    As to the question about the en class I think the markup was included in the file I downloaded somehow.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@Femaven,

That does appear to be XML, and I have no idea why Github would do that.

Just grab the version here, or even the 1.08 version in the _testing folder.

• marceljanssen
    marceljanssen
    Community Member

The iCloud Keychain copy/past did not work for me on OSX El Capitan, claiming System Events got an error: window 1 of process "SecurityAgent". Invalid index.
    number -1719 from window 1 of process "SecurityAgent"

Only some items are paste in the local-icloud keychain.
    Export to a local copy with the Terminal app exist in an empty; pm_export-icloud.txt

login Keychain works fine.
    Used Version 1.07

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

Hi @marceljanssen,

You must have run the AppleScript to auto-click the Allow button. I didn't write that script, and it can fail (it has two "race conditions").

Basically, the script tests to see if the security program is running, and if it is, tries click click Allow in the top-most dialog window. When the security program completes just a split-second after that test, and the AppleScript is still moving along trying to click that Allow button, it fails because that window does not exist.

The other race condition occurs when the script tries to click before the dialog has added the next iteration of the dialog.

The author of that script should have handled these expected failure cases, but didn't. I'm actually in the process of adding the feature to the AppleScript Conversion Helper, so that it will all be done for you automatically (and of course, I'll handle that failure cases).

Try changing the delay 0.2 to delay 0.75 and re-run it. It will take longer, but it is more likely to complete.

You should use version 1.08 in Testing Bits, since it has some bug fixes in the keychain converter.

• marceljanssen
    marceljanssen
    Community Member

@MrC
    Thanks for your explanation.

Strange but after put version 1.08 on de desktop (Keychain.app was closed) and open Keychain.app is see that nearly all the keys has been copied in local-cloud keychain. I think it has noting to do with putting version 1.08 on de desktop. But I have now something to export.
    Export the local copy of my iCloud Keychain will still exist in an empty; pm_export-icloud.txt
    Using the Terminal app code; security dump-keychain -d local-icloud > ~/Desktop/pm_export-icloud.txt

Is there another way to export my local copy of my local-icloud keychain?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited December 2015

@marceljanssen ,

That's correct. The converter knows nothing about your Keychain data, cannot add items, nor see them in anyway. It only deals with the manually exported Keychain data.

Another user mentioned the problem with the command you run, and I've since updated the instructions, which had a typo. Your command's keychain name needs to end with .keychain:

security dump-keychain -d local-icloud.keychain > ~/Desktop/pm_export-icloud.txt

• marceljanssen
    marceljanssen
    Community Member

@MrC
    Many thanx!

Yes, It works!
    I was using and old string from version 1.04 that I all ready used in the Terminal and activate with the previous function. Now I see also the one end with .keychain in the README.pdf

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@marceljanssen ,

Excellent, and you're welcome. I'm very happy to hear of your success. Enjoy 1Password!

• BenWaldman
    BenWaldman
    Community Member

Hello - MrC - thank you so much for all your work, but I've run into a problem and I'm stumped - I can't copy ANYTHING from my iCloud keychain to my newly created local keychain - I select one item from then iCloud keychain, and when I paste to the local-iCloud keychain, I'm prompted for the password to the local keychain, I enter that, and then I get an error message - "An error has occurred. Unable to add an item to the current keychain. The contents of this item cannot be retrieved." (Note this is a simple copy of one item - I tried this after the full copy/paste failed. And I'm entering the (correct) password manually - I'm not even trying to use the AppleScript). Any idea? I'm stumped. I AM able to copy from my login keychain to the new iCloud-local keychain, just not from the iCloud keychain. I'm on the latest OS X El Capitan (10.11.2). Thank you

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited December 2015

@BenWaldman ,

I believe this means your keychain is out of sync with iCloud. Try searching Google with the error message. I am not at my system right now.

I experienced this once and believe I had to disable iCloud Keychain syncing, and then reanble it. I think I had to do this on all the devices, so that the iCloud copy was removed.

This discussion has been closed.