In Chrome Browser, how can I have "Convert to Login" as the default and not ask me?

I am often asked, "convert to login" after the fact, but I want this always to be the default behaviour. I don't know many places online that store just passwords and not usernames, so this should be the default. I don't see anyway to change this.

1Password Version: 5.4.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:convert

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @pdjwa,

I suspect it might be either one or a combination of two things, one of which is bug.

Any use of the Password Generator will create a Password item and the Password Generator can be access from 1Password mini with any application in focus, not just a browser. Given the possibility of successfully recollecting a generated password, the creation of the Password item has to happen. I'm sure you don't have an issue with this particular piece of behaviour :smile:

What should happen but currently doesn't is that if you use that very same password on a login page (where your username will be) then 1Password should convert the Password item into a Login item and store the additional information like your username, URL and even information about the various fields on the page. We are aware of a bug though where if you fill the password field using the Password item (in contrast to say copying and pasting the password), 1Password makes the mistake of not asking. This is known and being worked on. We don't want 1Password to ask if you want to save a Login item if you filled using a Login item 2 seconds prior to this but the extension can't tell the difference if a Login item or a Password item was used. So we're looking at a fix required over two platforms and the extension. This will happen, it's just about getting everything into place in all the right places.

Another discussion we're having is what to do with registration pages. When we create a Login item in the browser we record all the visible fields on the page. Registration pages though are very different from login pages and you will only want a very specific subset of that information to be used for filling. So the question is can we come up with a reliable way where we can say we recorded 10 fields, which are the ones we need to fill with. I'm not a developer but the first one that springs to mind is some places use your email address as a username, some ask for a separate username but will of course still ask for your email address. If they ask for other data as well how do we determine which is the actual username? If we record login pages only this issue disappears but is that friendly enough?

So the goal is you shouldn't need to be using the Convert to Login option on a regular basis. We have some work to do but I'm wondering if a bit of knowledge of how it should work and the awareness of the filling bug yet to be rectified helps at all.

I look forward to your thoughts on the matter.

• pdjwa
    pdjwa
    Community Member

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. Yes, it is helpful to know the background.

You are correct about the workflow; however, I do cut and paste from the generator into the password field, not autofill, so perhaps the impact is the same regardless. I will test it by filing the password and adding another 1 to change the password to not be identical. This might trigger the Login item instead of Password.

As for the registration pages, as a user, sometimes the information is useful to me (for example, challenge questions) so I wouldn't be adverse to you recording all of the registration page fields. More than not, 1Pwd seems to accurately guess the login/pwd combo, so this isn't a big issue to me.

In fact, challenge questions seem to be the one thing that doesn't work well with 1Pwd. I will log that as a separate issue!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @pdjwa,

When you say challenge questions do you mean what I would call Security questions, where they ask you a random one from a selection that you have previously set up? 1Password works great on pages that don't mix it up with what needs to be entered into each field but the problem does become more complex if each attempt requires different information. Are the challenge questions on separate pages are do you have sites where they're part of the first (or only) login page?

It might be we do exactly that, record everything on the registration page and then simple guess. We have developers dedicated to this sort of question so I too will be curious to see what they decide is a reliable and user enhancing experience :smile:

The extension would definitely benefit from some love and it will get it as we know it's an integral part of the process.

This discussion has been closed.