Tor Browser support [use the 1Password Firefox extension in Preferences]

lutz
lutz
Community Member
edited December 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Your Plugin says, that there are no support for Tor Browser (https://www.torproject.org)

Tor based on Firerfox Browser - Are you able to create a Tor compatible Plugin?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MikeT
    edited November 2015

Hi @lutz,

We made some changes in the latest beta that should make it work. I tested this and with 1Password's web browser code signature check turned off, it does work with our Firefox extension.

Here's how to do this:

1. Open the main 1Password program, unlock, and go to the File Menu > Preferences > Browsers.
    2. Click on Mozilla Firefox link to point it to your Tor's firefox.exe file. and approve the registry change
    3. Click on the Install Firefox extension next to Firefox in 1Password, a page will open in Tor Browser. Click on Enable Betas below the green button and then click on the green button, it should now install it.
    4. Close Tor Browser afterward and switch to 1Password, go to the Help Menu > Advanced to deselect Verify web browser code signature.
    5. Open Tor, 1Password should work now. Note you may need to whitelist 127.0.0.1 if you're using a proxy.
  • kevinds
    kevinds
    Community Member
    edited December 2015

@MikeT

Been searching for this for awhile, thank you very much.

I was fighting with the 1Password 3 extension getting it to cooperate with 1Password 4.

This is much easier, thank you again

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of MikeT, you are most welcome! I'm glad to hear that helped. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. Cheers! :)

• Jables
    Jables
    Community Member

Hello you wonderful folks at 1PW! Is there any security related concerns you can think of concerning the use of the 1Password extension in the Tor Browser? If anything, I'd think it would be even more secure for the same reasons as it is for regular old Firefox, but I thought I'd ask just in case.

Thanks!

• lutz
    lutz
    Community Member

@MikeT
    Thanks for your help - work this also if i have tor and Firefox regular installed?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Hello you wonderful folks at 1PW! Is there any security related concerns you can think of concerning the use of the 1Password extension in the Tor Browser? If anything, I'd think it would be even more secure for the same reasons as it is for regular old Firefox, but I thought I'd ask just in case.

@Jables: Yes! I'm glad you asked.

This isn't specific to Tor, but rather any time you're using an unsupported browser, 1Password will not be able to verify it's signature; and to get it to work, you'll need to disable the signature verification. The risk here is that you could install the 1Password extension in a malicious browser, 1Password won't know since it isn't able to verify anyway, and it could be possible for it to intercept your data as you access it in the browser. Malware could also simply modify an otherwise legitimate browser for this purpose.

However, so long as you install software only from trusted sources, this really isn't going to be a concern. But it's certainly important to be aware of these risks.

@lutz: You can absolutely use multiple browsers. With Tor, you'll need to have the verification disabled for it to work, whereas this is not necessary for Firefox. So this would be a kind of 'lowest common denominator' situation: because of Tor, Firefox will not be verified either...which goes back to the beginning of my post. I hope this helps!

• lutz
    lutz
    Community Member

If i install like mike's howto there will be open the page "https://agilebits.com/browsers/welcome.html" with the following text.

Looking for the 1Password helper
    The 1Password helper must be running for the extension to work properly.

I have installed the Beta and deactivated the browser signature.
    Restart 1Pass helper doesnt help

any ideas?

Is there any chance to create in the future a plugin with signature check for tor?

• Hi @lutz,

That means the extension is working fine in the browser, it wouldn't show that page if it wasn't. Rather, the issue is that there's an interference between the extension in Tor and 1Password Helper.

Do you have a proxy, VPN, or a third party anti-malware / firewall solution installed? If yes, which one?

This discussion has been closed.