How do I create a new vault?

Didiko
Didiko
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hello there,

long time customer of your products, I am notably saving with 1P tons of personal data and mainly passwords: on Mac, on PC and sometimes through the access "anywhere" when needed. So far, it has been a wonderful experience.

Last week-end, I purchased a Surface Pro 3 (under Windows 10 Pro) and was very happy to find your alpha version in the store. After that...

I must that I am totally puzzled. When launching the program, it does not prompt me to create a new vault, I can only "point" to an existing one as far as I can see on the "sliding" interface. When I try to point to a copy of my Dropbox version (as you recommend not to work on your "real" file for obvious reasons) the software just prompts me a blank password hint and does not open the vault!?

To cut a long story short, this software is thus totally impossible to use at this stage on my Surface: can you please provide some hints?

Best regards

1Password Version: Alpha
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro (French)
Sync Type: Copy of Dropbox folder on local drive

Comments

• mohamedosman
    mohamedosman
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Didiko, sorry for the confusion. There isn't an option to create a new vault because the 1Password Alpha app cannot create, save and upload newly created items.

For the Dropbox vault that is failing to sync, can you see the correct vault name in the dialog window? If so, can you let me know what type of vault you're using (agilekeychain/opvault)?

• Didiko
    Didiko
    Community Member

Hello, no name to be seen but I am trying to work on a (local) copy of the original dropbox folder which is in agile format.
    So the first possible problem is maybe how to copy correctly the original folder onto a local disk?
    I did this because I didn't want to jeopardise my precious vault of course.
    Thanks for your help.

• Didiko
    Didiko
    Community Member

... and it is used with different versions of your software (pc and mac) all pointing to the same location (dropbox) without any single problem so far.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2015

You can copy the entire vault-name.agilekeychain folder from you Dropbox folder hierarchy to some other location that's accessible from your Surface Pro 3.

It would be helpful, though, to see whether you can open the vault using the Dropbox access built into the 1Password Alpha app. If you decide to give it a try, please let us know how it goes.

Note: You needn't work with the data in that Dropbox-synced vault, if you prefer not to, but be assured that the automatic 1Password backups on your Mac and PC give you the ability to "roll back" to a previous state, in the unlikely event of the alpha app modifying your data in a way you didn't intend.

• Didiko
    Didiko
    Community Member

Following your advice, I created the direct link to my usual Dropbox Agile vault.
    It was impossible to open it with my current password.
    Having read that changing the pw could help, I did it and indeed it worked.
    Then I had to wait a relatively long time for the software to sync with the folder and now it seems that I have everything right on the screen: thanks!
    (Over 200 logins, 50 licenses, many secure notes, etc.)
    At first sight the websites logos are ok for the logins part, the the software crashed when I wanted to see the software licenses part and I had to relaunch the application.
    It seems that it needs to "read" the data from the start again at every launch of the software, is this normal?
    The icons are not reproduced in the other categories like credit cards, secure notes: this is the generic 1PW logo: correct?

Thanks again for your support and for being part of this new adventure ;)

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the follow-up, @Didiko!

If I understand what you're describing as reading the data at every launch, that would seem to be the only way to make sure you're using the current state of the data (which could've been changed by 1Password on the other platforms using the same vault).

I believe Secure Note icons are a known task. I assume others are, too.

As for the crash, can you send us a report from within the app right after that happens?

• Didiko
    Didiko
    Community Member

Yes of course... I will have to search the forum on how to do it but no problem.

By the way there is no integration (yet) in the Web browser Edge, right (for automatic password filling)

Thanks

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2015

there is no integration (yet) in the Web browser Edge, right (for automatic password filling)

That's correct. As I understand it, we've been waiting for some loosening of the "sandboxing" restrictions in Windows 10 to make that possible. In the absence of that, though, I believe we're looking into possible alternatives.

Correction: Dev tells me that the Edge browser (a "universal application") should eventually accommodate plugins and extensions that we think will allow 1Password to communicate with other universal applications.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

Still no option to Create a new vault in the Beta i just downloaded?

• @MrC not at the moment, we will enable creating vaults as soon as we finish commands to add items there.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@SergeyTheAgile ,

Ok, thanks. The "Beta" label seems awfully generous then. :-)

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

I understand, @MrC. There are always more features you can wait to squeeze in before changing the status. I believe full support for 1Password for Teams was the tipping factor.

Stay tuned, though—features will continue to be added—and thanks for the feedback!

• teal_oak
    teal_oak
    Community Member

I too and lost with the products. I have one folder .opl format on my c drive in the onedrive folder which can sync with onedrive on cloud automatically and hence onto my windows phone. I did get it all to work: 1password 4 desktop, 1password 10 beta and windows phone 1 password beta. I know it does not reverse synch. Yet. I had different master passwords for each as was using demo but now there is only 1 opl folder but I can only access the opl folder from 1password 4. The other platforms do not recognise that password despite uninstalling rebooting etc.
    Very alpha.

• teal_oak
    teal_oak
    Community Member

Correction opv and not opl

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

@teal_oak, can you help me understand the difference between "1password 10 beta" and "windows phone 1 password beta"?

Thanks!

• teal_oak
    teal_oak
    Community Member

I guess they are the same program (Universal Windows Platform App) on different platforms: Surface Pro running Windows 10 and Windows Phone with Windows 10 mobile. My problem is now sorted after I deleted entry in Credential Manager. (thanks Sergeytheagile)I am probably going to buy a licence as like the concept of data stored on Dropbox or Onedrive rather than on your (as in lastpass) server.
    Thanks

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the update, @teal_oak! I saw your reply in another thread and assumed things were working now.

I've been using Dropbox to sync my 1Password data across Mac, iPhone, Windows virtual machines, and (more recently) Windows phone for several years, now, and am a happy camper.

Note that our new 1Password for Teams offering (currently in Beta, I believe) uses a different approach to protect your data every bit as well.

This discussion has been closed.