Having trouble with 1PasswordAnywhere

Comments

• hjhermans
    hjhermans
    Community Member

I have the same problem but am using WIndows. It seems that the zip file referred to above only works for Macs. When i try to start the html file on my windows laptop, it gets an error. What should i do to get the functionality of accessing my passwords from a 'foreign' machine?

• MikeT
    edited November 2015

Hi @hjhermans,

The zip file works for both Mac and PCs, there's no difference between both platforms when it comes to 1Password.html.

However, you said you opened the file from your Windows laptop, do you mean you opened it from your hard drive or did you go to Dropbox.com and open the file from there?

Note that you should not use 1PasswordAnywhere on a foreign machine if you cannot trust it, it is no difference from trying to use it on a compromised system. You can read why we recommend avoiding it here.

PS: Your comment was split from the thread that was in the Mac forums to move it here in the Windows forum, so our Windows team can help you quickly.

• hjhermans
    hjhermans
    Community Member

Thanks for the comment. I had the HTML in the public folder. Things began to work when i moved them to the 1PW.agilekeychain folder. At least no error, and i was able to log in with my master password. However, only a couple of items were visible. I currently have about 20 items in 1PW but i could only see about 3 in 1pwanywhere. Is there a syncing problem?

I said 'public' laptop. I am not really using it on a public pc, just one on which 1pw is not installed.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@hjhermans: 1PasswordAnywhere doesn't sync data. It is merely a web interface to the vault you place it in, where it loads the items present there. Did you perhaps place it and open it in the wrong vault?

For example, I have a number of vaults in Dropbox, but only one of them is my 'main' 1Password vault. Unless I open the exact vault I normally use in 1Password and go to 1Password.html there though the Dropbox website, it'll be loading some other vault's data. Please let me know what you find. I look forward to haring back from you! :)

• hjhermans
    hjhermans
    Community Member

Hi Brenti; First of all, I have only a single vault which i created on my main PC. I then moved it to dropbox. Subsequently i edited most of my current entries. 1PW on my main PC indicates that it is using the vault which is the local copy of my dropbox (c:\users\hans\dropbox\apps.......). The strange thing is that the few entries which can be seen on my (remote) laptop are three of the LAST entries i made. None of the earlier ones are visible. The 1PW 'data' directory visible on both the remote and local copy of dropbox are the same and contain what looks like most entries. I have the 1PW.html located in the 1PW.agilekeychain directory along with the 'config', 'data', and 'agilekeychain.ico' directories and file.

Finally, when i sign on on the laptop with my master pw, i see just the three entries as stated before, but it looks like the vault needs to be opened each time i return to the page.

It's all a big mystery. Thanks for your help so far.
    Hans

• hjhermans
    hjhermans
    Community Member

Hi (again);
    Just thought i should mention also that i am still in the 'trial' or 'evaluation' mode of 1pw. Don't know if that makes a difference on this issue.

• hjhermans
    hjhermans
    Community Member

I have installed 1PW on my main PC and also moved it to dropbox. When i installed 1PW on my laptop, it wants to either create a new vault or use an existing one (which does not exist on the laptop). How do i cause both pc's to have 1PW installed and both use the same dropbox vault?

1Password Version: 4.6.0....
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: windows
    Sync Type: dropbox
    Referrer: kb-search:Trying to install 1PW on 2nd pc. How do i keep same dropbox vault?

• Hi @hjhermans,

The demo mode does not affect the data or 1PasswordAnywhere.

Can you open the main 1Password app on your laptop, go to the File Menu > Repair 1Password Vault and then unlock, do you see the rest of your data?

If not, try editing one of the missing items in 1Password on your main PC, save it, and wait for Dropbox to finish its sync before trying again on 1PasswordAnywhere or on the laptop.

• Hi @hjhermans,

I just saw your other thread and merged it into this one, please do not create a separate thread when the issue may affect the outcome in this thread as well.

Just so that I can understand the issue correctly based on the timings of your posts; on your laptop only, are you trying to unlock via 1PasswordAnywhere on the laptop and you don't have any data in the main 1Password program just yet?

If yes, download and install Dropbox client from the https://www.dropbox.com site and let it finish syncing once you log into your Dropbox account in the client.

Once it is done syncing, open the main 1Password app, it should tell you that it found your data in Dropbox and if you want to use it, select it and unlock, does it show you the same data from your main PC?

• hjhermans
    hjhermans
    Community Member

Hi;
    Not sure about the repairing. I don't have 1pw on my laptop. I can only access the dropbox through the browser. Not sure if you mean to try repair on laptop by accessing dropbox file on main computer?

Put secure note on my main computer 1pw. No problem seeing the new note on the laptop with 1pw.html

• hjhermans
    hjhermans
    Community Member

Mike;
    The other thread is independent of the 1pwanywhere issue. I guess i was not specific enough to indicate that they are different laptops. On one i am trying to access 1pw without having it installed, on the other i am trying to install 1pw but don't know how to install it so that i only have a single vault on dropbox.

Not sure i follow your instruction on the latter.

• Hi @hjhermans,

OK, let's focus on one computer right now, the main PC. We'll work through this first and then focus on other ones later.

1. On the main computer with 1Password installed, open the main 1Password program and go to the File Menu > Repair 1Password Vault. Wait for Dropbox to finish its sync, you should see a checkmark on the Dropbox icon in your system's notification tray on the bottom right of your screen.
    2. Open the browser on the same PC and open 1PasswordAnywhere. Can you see all of the entries in 1PasswordAnywhere or is it the same 3-4 items (including the new secure note item) and not 20 items?
    3. If you still see 3-4 items, in the main 1Password program, try to edit one of the missing items, add a tag or something in the note field, and save it. Wait for Dropbox to finish syncing and check 1PasswordAnywhere again, does that edited item show up now?
  • hjhermans
    hjhermans
    Community Member

Great. That fixes the issue with 1pw.html. I can now see all entries with both the main machine and the laptop which does not have 1pw using the 1pw.html file.

Now the issue with installing 1pw on a second machine but such that there is only a single synchronized vault.

• Hi @hjermans,

That's great to hear.

On the second PC with the main 1Password program installed, do you have the Dropbox program installed already from Dropbox.com? Is there a green checkmark on the Dropbox icon in your system's notification tray area?

If yes, open 1Password, select I've used 1Password before and point it to your Dropbox folder > Apps > 1Password.agilekeychain. It should now let you unlock and show you everything from the first computer.

• hjhermans
    hjhermans
    Community Member

Hi;
    I think it's all resolved. I did not have dropbox installed on the 2nd computer. Once i did, the install of 1pw immediately recognized my vault. Thanks for the help. Now all i need to do is order.
    Hans

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Excellent! Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear that all is well once you got Dropbox setup on the other PC. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.