Gifting 1Password Pro (IOS) - Possible?

MagicalUnicorn
MagicalUnicorn
Community Member
edited November 2015 in iOS

Hi, I was thinking of gifting '1Password Pro' for xmas as its a thoughtful and useful gift but due to the nature of the App Store (and the fact that the 'Pro' version is an IAP) I don't know if this is indeed possible?

I read the blurb on the Apple site for gifts and followed the send instructions but it was as I imagined, the cart says '£0.00' (excluding the 'Pro' IAP) - dang! :(

Is it possible to just purchase a 'Pro' code(s) from the Agile bits Store directly (like when developers gift codes to sites in a promotional capacity)?

Also if this is possible to do I wondered how long said codes might last (i.e. could I store them and present them via cute gift cards [à la Procreate/Graphic] on the day)?

Questions... Questions... Confusion... Man xmas is so stressful, I need to play on some Xbox to chill me back out he he! :p

Any help on clearing up this tiny quandary is much appreciated and btw happy thanksgiving to all my transatlantic cousins! :)

Comments

• MagicalUnicorn
    MagicalUnicorn
    Community Member
    edited November 2015

PS: Seasonal profile update inspired by @brenty (many thanks for the creative inspiration) I like your pirate Santa he he! :)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ElectricWombat,

Sadly despite your amazing intentions there isn't a way to gift an in-app purchase, at least none that I'm aware of. I do apologise for seeming like scrooge in this setting.

• MagicalUnicorn
    MagicalUnicorn
    Community Member
    edited November 2015

Hi @littlebobbytables,

Thanks for your reply! Yeah I suspected as much what with the App Store being somewhat unrelenting when it comes to options for developers, but it was a nice idea while it lasted! Thanks for your help anyway which is very much appreciated! :)

• Thanks for understanding. One way that you could possibly accomplish this is by purchasing an Apple / iTunes gift card that includes at least enough to purchase the Pro features. Not as direct an approach as we both might like, but a possible solution.

Ben

• MagicalUnicorn
    MagicalUnicorn
    Community Member
    edited November 2015

Hi @bwoodruff,

Thanks for your help and advice, and I agree that an 'iTunes gift card' seems like the only feasible alternative strategy (and I was just contemplating that option after absorbing @littlebobbytables reply)!

It's just a shame that you can't enforce it as a gift however (which looses the sentiment) but it is a solution non the less! Perhaps I could draw a 1000 (snowy) arrows on the iTunes gift card pointing at a 1Password icon... You know as a subtle hint as to its intended use... Ha ha ;) Thanks for your help anyway which is much appreciated! :)

• MagicalUnicorn
    MagicalUnicorn
    Community Member
    edited November 2015

I had a scout around online and it appears that there is conversation alluding to how Apple opened up the ability to gift IAP's using 'iTunes Connect' in the past.

However, it's seemingly intended as a promotional strategy for developers rather than a commercial option; so whether or not it would violate the terms and agreements of the 'App Store' is something else (i.e. if it was used via an online store for direct 'Pro features' purchasing etc).

It was interesting to discover this is even an issue non the less as I'm sure there are many developers out there who use the 'free download IAP pro feature unlock' strategy and this must be a real pain that the App Store restrictions inhibit the open access gifting of their software etc. IOS is still in its infancy however, perhaps this might change in the future (hint Apple)! ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

PS: Seasonal profile update inspired by @brenty (many thanks for the creative inspiration) I like your pirate Santa he he! :)

@ElectricWombat: Ho, ho, harrr! Thank ye, lad! 'Tis the season. :pirate:

Perhaps I could draw a 1000 (snowy) arrows on the iTunes gift card pointing at a 1Password icon... You know as a subtle hint as to its intended use... Ha ha

Subtle. I like that. ;)

Indeed, an iTunes gift card is really the only practical way to 'gift' someone an in-app purchase. Maybe The Apple's heart will grow three sizes one day and we'll get a nice way to do this within the App Store, much like we can with paid apps. An apple looks kind of like a heart, right? :lol:

• MagicalUnicorn
    MagicalUnicorn
    Community Member
    edited November 2015

Hey @brenty,

Yeah that would be awesome but at least there's a workaround plus I wants that Apple it sounds yummy (lots of pies)! :)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

:lol:

This discussion has been closed.