Sharing my license with a family member

Options
apanish
apanish
Community Member

I want to share 1Password with my elderly father. How do I set it up on his Mac?

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@apanish in order to answer your question we need some basic information from you. Please tell us:

• What version of 1P for Mac you are using (the link will tell you how to find that information—please include whether you are using the Mac App Store version of 1Password or the AgileBits store version)
    • Your OS X version number and the version of OS X your father is using

Stephen

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @apanish,

The questions asked of you by Stephen_C will help us identify the correct route. Just to add, if you did purchase 1Password from our own store then our licence does stipulate that the licence can be shared with up to five other family members in the same household. It might be you were fully aware of that requirement already, I just wanted to make sure. With your reply we'll know how to proceed :smile:

• apanish
    apanish
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @littlebobbytables,

Before I give more info, you may have just answered my question. Does "household" mean in the same house? If so - then we don't need to figure out the other stuff. I thought I saw "family member."

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

@apanish - I've always understood that the license terms cover up to six family members in the same household. Same household does mean living in the same house. But I can see why you may have thought otherwise. I just checked the support page that discusses What licenses to I need to use 1Password on all my devices? In the section on family licenses it says only, "Your 1Password for Mac and 1Password for Windows licenses can be shared with up to five family members at no extra cost. That’s six people in total, including you."

Edit: The license terms in the web store are clear on the matter of family members being in the same household.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @apanish,

Household would mean under the same roof yes. So if your father lives elsewhere then to keep within the licence requirements would mean you couldn't share your licence. It's current form is aimed at the idea of a nuclear family (bizarre term but fun to say) but that isn't to suggest that families with multiple generations in the same household are excluded at all.

As far as sharing a licence in 1Password for Mac goes though you simply follow all the steps you went through to register your licence on the other Mac, much like you would also do if you owned two Macs yourself. There's nothing more to it than that :smile: This page, How do I add my license to 1Password? covers the steps. Hopefully something here helps better explain our licence conditions and what to do when for those that do wish to share 1Password with their family members.

This discussion has been closed.