Having trouble syncing via iCloud

Options
rdmitchell
rdmitchell
Community Member

I'm having trouble syncing with iCloud. I just upgraded to OS 10.11.1 and 1Password 5.4.1 on MacBook Air. My iPhone 6S is using IOS 9.1 and just downloaded iPassword 6.2.1. iPassword was acquired for both devised via the Mac App Store. iPassword works fine on the Mac. When I try to sync from the iPhone is says it can't find a vault on iCloud.

When I go to 1Password sync preferences, iCloud is not among the choices under "synch primary vault with..."

When I go to iCloud under the Mad OS System preferences and look under "apps that store documents and data in iCloud" it lists 1Password Mini twice. One of them is checked.

Any help would be much appreciated.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:icloud doesn't show up in sync preferences

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rdmitchell,

Can you see if anything in our Troubleshooting iCloud sync issues helps please.

I'd also be curious to learn the exact version of 1Password that you're running when you can't see iCloud as a sync option. To find this out the page Which version of 1Password am I running? should help and you can use the Copy to Clipboard button to allow you to paste all of the key details into a post here.

Hopefully something in either the troubleshooting guide or my request will help us understand what the cause is.

• rdmitchell
    rdmitchell
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. Version: 1Password 5 Version 5.4.1 (541003) Agile Web Store. I'm almost certain that I bought it via the App Store, NOT the Agile Bits site—it's listed in the App Store under "purchased." Regardless, I've gone ahead and synced using DropBox since it seemed simpler to do that (I already had a Dropbox account). Dropbox provides all the same features I'd get via iCloud, right?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rdmitchell,

You've identified the cause, no question :smile:

Now you can continue to run the AgileBits Store version if you want but we'd better make sure it's aware that you purchased 1Password for Mac from the Mac App Store. Our version requires a licence you see as we don't have the same infrastructure that Apple do to connect everything to an Apple ID.

To better know what the situation is I'd like to ask two questions.

1. In the App Store application. When you switch to the Purchased tab does the button opposite 1Password say open or download?
    2. In 1Password, if you use the menu option 1Password 5 > Licence... what does 1Password say there? does it say you're licensed or that 1Password is in the middle of a trial?

To answer your question though Dropbox actually has a few advantages over iCloud. It will allow you to sync secondary vaults between devices, it will allow you to share secondary vaults with other people by sharing a folder between Dropbox accounts and Dropbox has much better cross-platform support. Some people simply don't trust Dropbox but do trust iCloud so for them it's important. We here at AgileBits enjoy the extra flexibility that Dropbox offers :smile:

• rdmitchell
    rdmitchell
    Community Member
    Options

In the App Store it says "open." In 1Password under License is says "Thank you for supporting 1Password. Purchased on the Mac App Store."

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @rdmitchell,

There are two potential routes forward.

1. You've got everything set up in the AgileBits Store version and you're happy using Dropbox. You're not in trial mode and things will just work. All I would recommend doing is removing the copy of the 1Password (Mac App Store) application. If you were to look in /Applications/ I believe you would find a 1Password and 1Password 5. I would recommend dragging the copy titled 1Password to the Trash so that it can't interfere with the 1Password 5 copy.
    2. You decide you would like to migrate the working vault over to the Mac App Store version so that if you decide later you can use iCloud Sync. We can do this but it would mean setting up syncing again afterwards, even if you want to continue using Dropbox.

The good news though is the copy of 1Password from our AgileBits Download page that you have previously downloaded understands that you're a paying customer so there won't be any nasty surprises and that's what I really wanted to make sure didn't happen. The removal of one copy of the application is because 1Password mini, an integral part of 1Password is launched by a subsystem of OS X and when it finds two copies it does get confused. Removing the copy you aren't using ensures OS X can't get confused.

If you do decide you'd rather move everything back into the Mac App Store let us know and we'll detail how to do this. Other than that though I think you're in a pretty good position.

• rdmitchell
    rdmitchell
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I'll give this some thought.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rdmitchell,

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance!

This discussion has been closed.