Having a major problem. moved to a new OS X laptop. Getting error when sync'ing

Options
trinity
trinity
Community Member

ok. Installed fresh copy of 1Password from app store on new computer. I have iOS device and normally sync wifi. Started 1Password on new computer, setup as new user with new vault. Open wifi sync window as normal on laptop. iOS device "sees" the laptop as normal. Secret shown is correct. Select "sync now" on iOS device ... get message on my iOS device as follows ... "Sync Problem .... attempted to sync with a different vault than originally configured" ... option is to "dismiss" or "more Info". More Info shows "Error Domain=com.agilebits.onepassword.ErrorDomain Code=7027 "Attempted to sync with a different vault than originally configured" WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO GET SYNCed WITH MY NEW LAPTOP??

1Password Version: 5.4
Extension Version: 4.4.4
OS Version: 10.11.1
Sync Type: WiFi
Referrer: forum-search:Having a major problem. moved to a new OS X laptop. Getting error when sync'ing

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @trinity,

Sorry to hear about the troubles you're having here. Instead of populating a brand new vault on your Mac using Wi-Fi Sync I think a different approach will be better here.

We have a guide, Creating and restoring 1Password backups in iTunes (iOS) that will show you how to create a backup of your iOS vault and copy that backup to your Mac. Now both 1Password for Mac and iOS use the same format when it comes to backups so you can use the iOS backup to kickstart everything on the Mac.

1. Use Creating and restoring 1Password backups in iTunes (iOS) so you have a backup of 1Password available on your Mac.
    2. Use our How do I start over with an empty vault? guide to return 1Password for Mac to a never been used state.
    3. Use our Using existing 1Password data on a new computer: Elsewhere on your Mac to populate 1Password from the backup file from step 1.

You may still need to reset 1Password for iOS but you also may not. As this is a backup from 1Password for iOS in theory it should now not see the vault as being different. It's hard to replicate this scenario though for us to test so I'm unsure.

If you have any questions at all before starting please do ask. Otherwise I hope you will be reporting success :smile:

• trinity
    trinity
    Community Member
    Options

Tried what Stephen_C had suggested in the link as a quick fix however there is no option anymore in Sync menu to "Disable Sync" so that didn't go far. Tried the sequence from littlebobbytables but still having same error. Giving it a try again.

• trinity
    trinity
    Community Member
    Options

followed all instructions twice. The backup from the iOS device and the subsequent restore to the 1Password on my mac worked fine. I can see all the files. The problem now is getting wifi sync to work. In Preferences under the sync tab, the page shows "Sync Primary vault with " selected. The wifi server tab, I then have to select "run a wifi server from this Mac to sync with iOS". The option "choose with vaults to include when synching over wifi" shows "primary" greyed out but checked. The subsequent secret passphrase shown I then use on my iOS device. Tried to sync and still get the "Sync Problem" error indicating "Attempted to sync with a different vault than originally configured" .... Need some help still. Suggestion ... under the tab "sync", does primary vault sync with " xxx" need to be "none" or a folder?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @trinity,

So if I've read and understood everything correctly you now have a full copy of your vault in 1Password for Mac. This is good even with the subsequent frustrations it gives us a great place to start from.

So I was hoping the identical vault on your Mac might have averted the error but alas it wasn't to be. There is an easy enough solution though. If you follow the How do I start over with an empty vault? (iOS) guide to reset 1Password for iOS you can then use Existing 1Password user (iOS) to have 1Password for Mac push the vault back to your iOS device.

I know, it seems pretty daft. Get a copy of the vault to your Mac so you can then wipe 1Password for iOS to simply have 1Password for Mac sync the exact same vault back but it will clear certain flags that have gotten stuck.

If your preferred method of sync is Wi-Fi then don't worry about the Sync tab. That's for when people need 1Password to create a sync container, either an Agile Keychain or OPVault to allow syncing between Macs or Dropbox etc. If you only need to sync between a single copy of 1Password for Mac and one or more iOS devices then Wi-Fi Sync will meet your needs.

Let us know how you get along :smile:

• trinity
    trinity
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Littlebobbytables, I followed the instruction above and it worked like a charm - you know your stuff! I have to admit, I was a bit nervous to delete 1Password and all the vault data on my iOS device as I depend on 1Password a lot on a daily basis. Very straightforward .... deleted 1password on iOS device, reboot, re-download, select existing vault on Mac, sync wifi and all done. Had to do all my iOS devices but after the first one, my apprehension was gone. Thanks all for the wonderful support ... I could not have done this without the help.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @trinity,

I'm so glad to hear that little Bobby's instructions got you all sorted out - that's awesome!

I hope that 1Password behaves perfectly for you from now on, but if you have any other questions or concerns, we're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.