How can I determine which keychain I am using in El Capitan?

Options
fleetwoodmax
fleetwoodmax
Community Member

MY EQUIPMENT: I have 1Password 4.4.3 installed on my 27" iMac (late 2009) and 1Password my iPhone 6s Plus (iOS9).

MY OS UPGRADES: I bought my new iPhone 3 days ago. Previously I had been using 1P on my iPhone 5s running iOS&. Two days ago I installed OS X 11 on my iMac. Previously I had been using OS X 9 Mavericks.

MY 1PASSWORD PROBLEM: Up until I made these changes I had been syncing through iCloud and everything worked just fine. When I try to sync iPhone to my Mac with "Sync existing vault" > "Sync with iCloud" I get "existing data not found." Yet on my Mac, 1P says it synced with iCloud to the onepassword_data folder, which I cannot find in iCoud or iCloud Drive.

When I try to sync with Dropbox it asks me for the password for 1Password.agilekeychain but none of the passwords I have used will open it.

WHAT I WANT: 1P is working fine for me on my Mac. Please tell me how to sync my Mac to my iPhone using Dropbox. I understand that I have to buy 1P at a higher price from the Mac App Store to sync using iCloud, and I don't want to do that. Thank you.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:whee is my keychain

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @fleetwoodmax,

It sounds like you've got an old Agile Keychain, maybe from some testing you might have done some time ago. Given you're running 1Password 5 (it's a free upgrade from 1Password 4 so as an El Capitan user we do strongly recommend running it if you're not) what I would recommend is simply deleting this Agile Keychain that seems to already exist in Dropbox. Ever since 1Password 4 we moved away from the Agile Keychain being the actual vault and instead it's merely a sync container now, one that 1Password 4/5 can easily create if it doesn't exist. When it creates a new one it will be based on the contents of your vault as it is now while if you had managed to unlock the Agile Keychain you found it would have attempted to merge the contents of what is like an old and obsolete Agile Keychain into your good vault. In a way it's probably good that you couldn't unlock it.

With a new Agile Keychain generated by 1Password for Mac 1Password for iOS will be able to easily see it and get you started. Should you have any troubles at all though please do let us know. If you need anything covered in more detail please do let us know that too and other than that I would hope you'll be reporting success :smile:

• fleetwoodmax
    fleetwoodmax
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your prompt response. "Given you're running 1Password 5 (it's a free upgrade from 1Password 4." Can you tell me how to get the free upgrade? Thanks.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @fleetwoodmax,

If you're running 1Password 4 on El Capitan I would expect it to say there is an upgrade available when using the menu option 1Password 5 > Check for Updates.... If not then the following would definitely work.

1. Quit both 1Password and 1Password mini. You can do this with the keyboard shortcut ⌃⌘Q when 1Password is open (it doesn't have to be unlocked).
    2. Drag the 1Password application from your /Applications/ folder to the Trash. Please don't use an app cleaner.
    3. Reboot your Mac.
    4. Download 1Password 5 from our AgileBits Download page.

It uses the exact same licence file as 1Password 4 because we made it a free update for all 1Password 4 customers and as long as you don't use an app cleaner it also uses all the same support files as 1Password 4 so it will pick up exactly where 1Password 4 left off. Let us know if you have any other questions :smile:

• fleetwoodmax
    fleetwoodmax
    Community Member
    Options

Everything worked! Thank you. I was able to upgrade to 1PW5 and now my iPhone is perfectly synced to 1Password5—all 857 items. Thank you. I really appreciate this since I depend on 1PW so much. This has been a great customer service experience!!!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm glad we could deliver @fleetwoodmax :smile: Customer service is important here at AgileBits and given the user's dependency on a password manager it has to be - I know had bad it would be if I couldn't access my vault and I don't believe my loss is any worse than anybody else's. Obviously you're adept which always makes it easier of course.

I hope you enjoy 1Password 5 and should you have any questions or issues please don't hesitate to contact us.

• fleetwoodmax
    fleetwoodmax
    Community Member
    Options

Good morning and thank again for all your help., Re: the "free upgrade from 1Password 4," I notice that when I click "1Password 5 > License" I get the attached "Trial Mode" Window. (attached) Since I have a free upgrade, I shouldn't be seeing this, right?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @fleetwoodmax,

Thanks for the screenshot! It looks like 1Password is in trial mode, which really just means you need to activate it with your license file (which you would have received when you purchased a license for 1Password 4 for Mac). We have more information in these knowledgebase articles:

Hopefully this helps, but if you have more questions or need anything else, just let us know! :)

• fleetwoodmax
    fleetwoodmax
    Community Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

Hi Drew, I can only find licenses for 1PW 2 and 3 but not 4. How could I have been using 4 all this time w/o a license? Here's what you sent.

Key: [redacted]

1Password 3 for Mac
    Single License
    Name: JESS A JOSEPH
    Key: [redacted]
    Download: https://agilebits.com/downloads
    Register: Select 1Password > License… and paste the above information.

• @fleetwoodmax Since this is a public forum, I've removed your license key. It does indeed look like you have a license for 1Password 3, but not for version 5. However, I also noticed you mentioned iCloud earlier in this thread. Did you happen to have the Mac App Store version of 1Password at some point? If you did, you can simply download it from the App Store once again.

If not, the good news is you can upgrade to 1Password 5 at a discounted price using your current license. Just head over to our upgrade page and input the license key to get started. You can then follow our upgrade guide to get all your data moved to the latest version of 1Password on your Mac. Let us know if you have any questions. :)

This discussion has been closed.