iCloud option for iPad

Options
sue.block
sue.block
Community Member

Mac Version OS X El Captan

IPassword version 5.4.1 (541003)

I have 1Password for my Mac and iPad

I purchased 1Password from Agilebits long before iCloud came into exisitance. I have been using dropbox to transfer information.

However, I would prefer to use the iCloud to Sync information entered into 1Password on my Mac to my 1Password on my iPad.

Does this mean I have to pay extra to achieve this?

Sue

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

@sue.block - If you bought your license more than 30 days ago, as it appears would be the case for you, the refund window from AgileBits will have expired. Apple does not give developers any way to transfer licenses to the Mac App Store, and it does not provide them any way to offer discounts to specific individuals either. So, to answer your question, if you want iCloud, you will have to buy another license from the Mac App Store. Apple also does not allow any applications they don't sell from one of their App Stores access to the protocols needed for syncing. So it's really all on Apple.

The application does go on sale periodically. Since you are an established user, perhaps waiting for the next sale would help. They are announced on Facebook, Twitter and the AgileBits blog.

Since the level of security does not depend in any way on the cloud service chosen by the user, I've been content to continue using Dropbox. It isn't worth the extra money to me to buy another license, and I too am outside the refund window. I also appreciate that Dropbox allows users to sync more than just their Primary vault and to share data with other users like a family member. iCloud does not allow either, which are limitations I don't want to live with.

I deleted your duplicate post.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Sue ( @sue.block ),

Please let me know if you have any questions after reading Hawkmoth's post! He's correct, there's no convenient mechanism for us to transfer a license from our store to the Mac App Store.

I'm curious to know why you're interested in switching to iCloud. Many of us on the AgileBits team trust Dropbox with our 1Password data, and personally, I really appreciate the flexibility in being able to create and share multiple vaults with the people I need to. :)

• sue.block
    sue.block
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan

My impression is that using iCloud would be much easier to sync information between my Mac and Ipad by just connecting the iPad to the Mac?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@sue.block:

My impression is that using iCloud would be much easier to sync information between my Mac and Ipad by just connecting the iPad to the Mac?

There's really no difference between the ease of using iCloud to sync and the ease of using Dropbox—save perhaps that you have to download the Dropbox application whereas, effectively, you already have the iCloud "application". Dropbox is quite simple to set up. Take a look at these excerpts from the user guides:

Sync with Dropbox (Mac)

Sync with Dropbox (iOS)

If you have any problems at all there are always people here to help. :)

Stephen

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @sue.block,

I hope Stephen's information was helpful for you! As he mentioned, Dropbox sync takes a few extra steps to set up than iCloud sync. However, once you do that, sync happens automatically in the background, so at that point Dropbox sync is just as easy as iCloud sync. And as Hawkmoth explained, there are some advantages to using Dropbox sync, such as syncing secondary vaults, and/or sharing vaults with others (it's not currently possible to share anything between iCloud accounts). And it's the only sync solution that works across all platforms supported by 1Password: Mac, Windows, iOS, and Android.

Hopefully this helps, but if you have more questions or need anything else, just let us know! :)

This discussion has been closed.