Safari can't install 1Password extension

peter_sutton
peter_sutton
Community Member

I have tried a number of times to install the 1Password extension including restarting Safari and rebooting the computer. I can't try solution 2 because I don't understand it and in any case is it a good idea to delete my other extensions all of which work as they should. I have just spent £39.99 on this app version 5.01 from the Apple Store to replace a previous password manager that I had installed as I thought it might be better but so far am unable to get it to work. Very disappointing. My operating system is OS X 10.10.5. Please help me.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb-search:safari says it can't install the browser extension because of an error, kb:safari-cannot-install-extension, ug:mac/, kb-search:Safari can't install 1Password extension, kb:safari-cannot-install-extension

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @peter_sutton,

I'm sorry to hear you've been unable to install the 1Password extension in Safari!

From you description, it sounds like you're referring to the problem & solutions described here: How to fix the “Safari can’t install this extension” error

Are those the steps you tried following? The error message from that article normally indicates a problem with Safari and is not specific to the 1Password extension. You mentioned you have other extensions installed and they are working, but do you happen to know if you're able to install other, new extensions? It's possible the same problem will happen if you try to install others as well. That's why the 2nd suggestion in the above article has you delete the Safari Extensions folder, as a problem with that folder can cause problems related to extensions.

If you haven't already done so, please make sure you quit and restart Safari, then try again to install the 1Password extension. If that doesn't help, try this:

• Reboot your Mac (important).
    • After the restart, open the following link in Safari: https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions
    • Click the big green Install button, and follow the steps on the new page to install the extension.

If you still can't install the 1Password extension in Safari after the restart, you can try installing it from the Safari Extensions Gallery:

• Open Safari and go to the menu for Safari > Safari Extensions...
    • If 1Password is listed at the top, click on that (if not, you can search for it in the 'Search' field).
    • Click the Install now link.

Does that work? If not, and you still get the error message, try installing another extension listed on the Safari Extensions site (it doesn't matter which one, as you're simply testing the installation process). Do you get a similar error or does it work correctly?

Please let us know how it all goes, and if it's still a problem, we'll continue from there. Thanks! :)

• peter_sutton
    peter_sutton
    Community Member

Hello Drew and many thanks for your suggestions. I am pleased to be able to tell you that after rebooting my Mac several times and also restarting safari a number of the times the problem fixed itself and I now have the 1Password extension installed. Once again thanks.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

That's great news, @peter_sutton! Thanks for the update, I'm glad that's working for you now. :)

If you run into more problems or need anything else, we're here for you!

This discussion has been closed.