Will my old backup of data on pc and iPad override on the newer data on my iphone ?

I haven't synced my data on the iPhone to my iPad or to my PC for a long time. Both these devices have very old data on them. I would like the new data on my iPhone to override the old data that is stored on the PC and on the iPad. I am hoping that syncing will not duplicate ,or include of my old data since so many new passwords have been entered.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb-search:Sync data, kb-search:Does old data override new when syncing, kb-search:Sync Does old data override new when syncing, kb:remove-multiple-apps

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@m48730_gmail_com: The newer version should be kept. That said, if it's really been that long since you've sync'd that could cause some conflicts, so I encourage you to make a fresh backup of your data on each device first:

1Password backup and restore

Especially if you've been syncing and adding a lot of other data in the mean time, it's possible that the sync state would be a bit confused, so having a backup will allow you to avoid being stuck in that situation.

One method that might be better would be to sync the iOS data into a new vault on your PC. That way you can take a look at it first, and export specific items to import into your main vault if needed. These can also be copied and pasted from one vault to another (excluding attachments). Let me know what you think. :)

• m48730_gmail_com
    m48730_gmail_com
    Community Member

Could I delete the main vault on my PC or delete the whole program and start over? the data from the ipad and the pc were merged with my iphone a long time ago (over a year). so I really don't need to save it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@m48730_gmail_com: If you'd like to start over on the iPad, all you need to do is delete the app, as that will remove its data as well. If you'd like to start over with a new vault on your PC, all you need to do is delete the vault from Windows File Explorer. Then when you open 1Password again, you'll be prompted to create a new one. Let me know if you have any questions! :)

• m48730_gmail_com
    m48730_gmail_com
    Community Member

I deleted the original vault. Now teh iphone will not sync to the PC. Error message: Sync Problem: attempted to sync with a different vault than originally configured.
    Thoughts?

• m48730_gmail_com
    m48730_gmail_com
    Community Member

What do I do now? I deleted the original vault. Now the iphone will not sync to the PC. Error message: Sync Problem: attempted to sync with a different vault than originally configured.

• m48730_gmail_com
    m48730_gmail_com
    Community Member

I restored the vault I deleted. Then deleted the data in that original vault. Then synced the data in my phone, which had all new data and passwords (over 100) to the emptied vault. Upon syncing, all the data in my phone IS LOST. Only the original data in the original vault now is on my phone. Useless. Can I restore the overridden data in my phone???????????????

• m48730_gmail_com
    m48730_gmail_com
    Community Member

I think I found the pre-sync backup files in the 1Password agilekeychain data file on my windows pc. Each entry has a series of numbers and letters and each is listed as a ".1password" file. Can I export this data to my phone or transfer it to a different vault? When I have tried to transfer the data by export or import, the data file I select when prompted shows that the folder is empty and all the files gone. Help please!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2015

I restored the vault I deleted. Then deleted the data in that original vault. Then synced the data in my phone, which had all new data and passwords (over 100) to the emptied vault.

@m48730_gmail_com: Sorry for the confusion. That's why I suggested syncing the old data from your iPhone to a new vault on your PC to triage before you you merge them prematurely, since it sounds like you're not sure that you want all of the old data from the iPhone. Can you do that? Then we can work on getting the specific items you actually want to keep into your current vault.

Upon syncing, all the data in my phone IS LOST. Only the original data in the original vault now is on my phone. Useless. Can I restore the overridden data in my phone???????????????

Sure! Your data isn't lost after all, since you made a backup. Just restore from the backup you made prior to overwriting the data and we'll go from there.

• m48730_gmail_com
    m48730_gmail_com
    Community Member

I cannot import the backup file to the old vault or to a new one. How do I restore from the files on my computer?

• m48730_gmail_com
    m48730_gmail_com
    Community Member

I see how to restore from backup. Having done that from my earlier backup I still have only a limited number of entries.

• m48730_gmail_com
    m48730_gmail_com
    Community Member

When I first tried to restore backup new data from my iphone, I chose the option "restore to this new one". Having done so all my data on the phone reverted to a very old backup. Did I choose the wrong option? Now my backup from Dec 1, 2015 which I try to restore from has only the old data.

• m48730_gmail_com
    m48730_gmail_com
    Community Member

History: i had lots of New passwords in iphone to back up . Handnt backed up data in 1 year.
    Went to sync new data via wi fi. Couldn't sync to new vault. Error mssg said data was associated with original vault. Tried to sync to new vault several times. same message.
    Then opened original vault and deleted all old data.
    Then tried to sync new data on iphone to orig vault but had to enter secret number from original vault before doing so.
    Then All new passwords lost. New data overridden completely.
    If I enter old secret number will I find old data? if so how do i find old secret number?

1Password Version: 4
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Windows 7
    Sync Type: wi fi
    Referrer: kb-search:restore backup data to 1password, kb:ios-itunes-backups, kb-search:restore backup data to 1password, kb:starting-over

• Hi @m48730_gmail_com,

First, please use this guide to generate the 1Password diagnostic report on your PC to email to us and, in the email, also include the link to this thread along with your forum username.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can look for it, and confirm we got the email.

In the meantime, please do not do anything that we didn't tell you to do. Wait for us, so we can tell you the correct steps.

• m48730_gmail_com
    m48730_gmail_com
    Community Member

Diagnostics Report SENT

• Thanks, we got the email and we will reply as soon as possible.

ref: MNM-19576-138

This discussion has been closed.