I have 2 different master password for my devices, what have I done wrong?

Options
INBAL
INBAL
Community Member

I download the 1password app on my iPhone, and I bought the 1password on the app store from my iMac. I opened a vault on both devices, and I think one vault (from the iPhone) is using the claud sync, so I can use it on my laptop and desktop, but the master password I created on my desktop is working only on my desktop. and the master password I created on my iPhone, work on my phone and my laptop. I don't know what I did wrong, but please help me with direction - how to fix it now?
Thank you

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @INBAL,

Just to make sure I understand: You have 1Password on your iPhone, iMac, and MacBook, and they all sync with each other via iCloud sync. 1Password can be unlocked on your iPhone and MacBook with the same master password, but it needs a different master password on your iMac. Is that correct?

If so, it sounds like this happened simply because you chose different master passwords on your iMac and iPhone when you set them up, before you synced them with each other via iCloud. As long as iCloud sync works in general (for example, changes you make to 1Password on your iPhone sync to both Macs), it's very easy to make the master password match on all three.

First, try simply unlocking 1Password on your iMac using the master password you normally use on your iPhone and MacBook. If that fails, unlock it with the master password you normally use on your iMac, then go to the menu for 1Password > Preferences, select the Security tab, and click the Change Master Password button. Change it to the same one you use on your other devices.

Hopefully this helps, but please let us know if you have any trouble with that, or if you have more questions. Thanks! :)

• INBAL
    INBAL
    Community Member
    Options

@Drew_AG Thank you very much!
    I think you understood correct. But I am not sure that is all... I put my 2 emails account into the 1password, but one of them is not sync with the other devices. Also none of the devices is asking me to enter my password anymore... I wander, Should I uninstall everything and start over? Is it possible?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @INBAL,

But I am not sure that is all... I put my 2 emails account into the 1password, but one of them is not sync with the other devices.

Ah, if we're seeing different data on various devices, then there might be something else at play here. Now, there are a few very basic things that we need to check before we get into the more detailed troubleshooting:

• Please ensure that you are logged in with the same iCloud account on all computers and devices. (If you're like me and have somehow collected several, this could be where things are getting tangled!)
    • Please ensure that you're using iOS 9 and OS X 10.11 on all computers and devices (iCloud sync changed since iOS 8 and OS X 10.10, so the latest version of both operating systems is required for iCloud sync.)

If those items check out, let's run a test and see where things are getting tripped up:

• Create a test entry on your Mac ("Test, Mac") and add some data
    • Create a test entry on each of your iOS devices ("Test, iPhone/iPad") and add some data
    • Does "Test for Mac" show up on either of your iOS devices?
    • Does "Test for iPhone" and/or "Test for iPad" show up on your Mac?

Also none of the devices is asking me to enter my password anymore

You can configure 1Password's lock settings to fit your needs - in some cases you might not need to enter your Master Password every time you view the app. On your Mac, you'll configure these settings in 1Password's Preferences > Security. In 1Password for iOS, those preferences are in Settings > Security.

Should I uninstall everything and start over? Is it possible?

If you'd prefer, it is definitely possible to start fresh. Please let me know if this is the path you want to take, and we can give you the instructions that you need.

This discussion has been closed.