How do I switch Dropbox accounts for sync?

Options
copentaco
copentaco
Community Member

How do I switch Dropbox accounts for sync?

1Password Version: 4.5.3
Extension Version: 4.5.3
OS Version: Android 5.1.1
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: kb:switch-to-dropbox

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Options

@copentaco

Can you explain a little more what it is your looking to do. Going out on a limb I would say you need access to another account to sync with its keychain ???
    For that you would need to use a share folder. If thats indeed what your looking for this help document will hopefully get you started.

https://support.1password.com/guides/mac/share-a-vault.html

If I have missed the question or you have other questions feel free to post back.

• copentaco
    copentaco
    Community Member
    Options

Hello and thanks for answering so quickly. We would like to switch from 1 Dropbox account to a different Dropbox account. We don't see the option anywhere in the 1password application where we can do that.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

The desktop application use's the installed Dropbox client to store the keychain and sync it.

So if you are looking to sync the keychain, you would either need to install the client and or login as that account. Or share the keychain from the first account to the second using a shared folder. If you maintain control over both accounts, or have access to both. I personally would use the shared folder to get the keychain into my personal Dropbox.

The desktop application (Dropbox) is not as simple as logging in and out to sync data. All data is local to your system and stored in the Dropbox folder on your hard drive. If you simply log out and in as the new account you could expose your personal data to the other account. (unless you want to start over and remove all Dropbox data from your device)

This is the reason to use a shared folder. It prevents you from having to switch Dropbox accounts.

I can give you directions for changing accounts, but I would like to confirm what it is your hoping to do here to prevent you some issues later on.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @copentaco,

When it comes to Dropbox thightower knows his stuff and knows it well.

It is possible to completely switch Dropbox accounts but it would mean unlinking and removing all of the first Dropbox account to then link to the next one. The reason thightower is asking is this isn't a common request so he wants to make sure this is what is required by understanding the why.

You won't see anything obvious inside of 1Password because we're merely linking to an Agile Keychain that exists on disk. We leave all the Dropbox stuff to the Dropbox service. So it isn't possible to log into multiple Dropbox accounts from inside 1Password and sync with Agile Keychains in various accounts. Instead you would want to investigate sharing of folders which thightower also mentions.

I'm confident we can resolve this once we better understand each other :smile:

This discussion has been closed.