Encryption and decryption data & authentication

Options
Konstadina
Konstadina
Community Member

Hello,

I have not understand exactly the way that 1Password make the user's authentication, and in what format data was saved on your servers.

Thank you in advance.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

It is important to note that 1PW is a program, not a service. That is, AgileBits does not have servers and nothing is saved on any servers unless you choose to do so (using iCloud or Dropbox), it is all held on your own devices. This makes 1PW more secure, as everything is stored locally and there are no servers to hack. It also means that if your master password is lost then AgileBits can do nothing to recover your data (unlike a server-based system, where the server owner may be able to reset the password.)

Take a look at the AgileBits blog, or some of the forum posts, and you will find long discussions of the difference between encryption and authentication.

Very roughly, the 1PW database is very strongly encrypted. This means that even if the database were stolen (for instance, by theft of an unlocked computer) it is impossible to decrypt the data. Authentication is a different process, used to prove you are entitled to access the data, and is not needed for 1PW (though it would be useful for iCloud or Dropbox if you have your data there as well as locally).

This is a very simple version of a discussion by the experts.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Konstadina: Indeed, danco is correct: we don't know who you are and don't have your data, so we're not authenticating you or storing your personal vault on an AgileBits server. You can find a lot more detail on both topic on out knowledgebase:

1Password security

1Password privacy

And of course if you do choose to sync your vault using iCloud or Dropbox, I encourage you to take advantage of their multi factor authentication options to prevent others from accessing your account. However, because your 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted, it doesn't depend on the sync service to keep your vault secure.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let us know if you have any other questions! :)

• Konstadina
    Konstadina
    Community Member
    Options

I had read the two links but i had been confused but now everything is okay.
    Thank you very much :) :) .

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Any time! And don't hesitate to reach out if you have any other questions. We're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.