Download link for the Android app (Not Play Store)

Options
rsgill
rsgill
Community Member

Here's the use case:

• Use 1Password to create a complex password for Google account.
  • Let's say the password is 25 characters long with 10 digits and 5 special characters.
  • Upgrade to a new Android phone.
  • Setup the new phone but skip the Google login (1Password generated password is too complex to remember).
  • Since there is no way to login into Google, how is 1Password to be downloaded from the Play Store to retrieve the Google account password?

I understand that the password could be retrieved on a desktop. However, it can be difficult to enter a long, complex password into a phone with the phone's keyboard (especially if the password is masked the whole time).

If there is a solution to this use case, I apologize.
A download link for the Android 1Password app was not available on the download page.

1Password Version: All versions
Extension Version: N/A
OS Version: Android
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hi @rsgill. Thanks for getting in touch with us and for your support of 1Password. :)

You bring up an important point--how to gain access to 1Password when your device passwords and possible sync service passwords are saved in 1Password.

As Jeff Goldberg explains in this blog post, "I love the idea that 1Password allows me to just remember one password, my 1Password Master Password. But some of us may actually want to remember a couple more."

For instance, since I have a vault synced with Dropbox, that's one of the passwords I remember. That way, when I sync a new device, I'm able to connect it to Dropbox without first having to look it up on another synced device. My Google password is another that I remember, for the reasons you've described.

That said, 1Password 4 for Android is available exclusively through the Play Store, so you will need Play Store services in order to install the app on any device. There are no direct download links.

Let us know if you have any further questions!

• bigmac999
    bigmac999
    Community Member
    Options

Just do a search in any search engine for 1password.apk you will then get what you desire.

• rsgill
    rsgill
    Community Member
    Options

bigmac999. I appreciate your suggestion but I feel that it would open me up to potential malware.

• bigmac999
    bigmac999
    Community Member
    Options

Another solution is to create another Google account and then download the app.

• Please do not download 1Password for Android from an unknown source. Downloading 1Password outside of the Play Store can put your data at risk and can possibly leak your information. It is also likely the copy of the app has been altered and some things may not work correctly.

With that said, I understand your use case @bigmac999. As Peri already mentioned, we do not provide the release version of 1Password for Android outside of Google Play. I’ll bring up your suggestion to the team, but in the meantime, you may need to use another device to access your vault and manually enter the password for your Google account. Sorry for the inconvenience!

• bigmac999
    bigmac999
    Community Member
    Options

My second comment was that a second google play store account be created and then download the app, from the store! I do appreciate the comment re modifications, but the play store is very hit and miss re your program.

• That works too! :) Let us know if you have any other questions.

This discussion has been closed.