Different Chrome users, 1password mini shows the same vault in both

Options

I just ported my wife to 1password. (yay)
She usually uses her own macbook air, but sometimes she sits on my dekstop mac.

For that reason, she has a different chrome profile. That syncs all extensions.

So it turns out, that the 1password extension on her chrome profile on a mac where my 1P entity exists, shows my passwords, and offers to save my passwords.

Is there any workaround on this? Deleting the chrome extension, will remove it from other browsers (like her mac) and I'm not even sure what I can do to make 1password diffrentiate between the two.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @altryne,

Your best option is a second user account on your Mac just for your wife and to use fast user switching. She could set up 1Password to sync her vault between her MacBook Air and her new account on your Mac and then the two should not interfere with each other.

Both Windows and Mac have good solid support for multiple users at the operating system level so we assume this. As a result 1Password isn't a multi-user application, like how you use the profiles in Chrome. We assume a single user per account which is why her Chrome profile is showing your vault. The extension communicates locally with 1Password mini and uses the vaults that are present.

If you wish to stay with a single OS X user account then sadly the best we can do is show you how to stop Chrome synchronising extensions. Your wife can instruct Google not to sync extensions so that she can have the 1Password extension on her MacBook Air without it being present when she pops onto your Mac. This Google page, Why sign in to Chrome will help guide you to where you choose what gets synced.

Hopefully this is useful and sorry we don't have a way of having two instances of 1Password in a single user account.

• altryne
    altryne
    Community Member
    Options

Oh, well, nothing can be pefrect. I know about user support, it's not a great solution unfortunately, as it's something else I need to to sell her on.
    I figured there wasn't an easy baked solution, but I tried to ask anyway :)

Thanks

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @altryne,

Sorry I couldn't have offered a more promising solution on this occasion. Hopefully the next time you have a question we can bring a more positive experience to your forum visit.

• altryne
    altryne
    Community Member
    Options

hey @littlebobbytables , I just updated the beta and saw this :

Improved 1Password's interactions with multiple profiles in Chrome. {OPX-647}

Can you elaborate on what changed in that regard?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @altryne,

The new beta won't help at all I'm afraid. That entry was for another bug where people who use multiple Chrome profiles found 1Password mini was popping up when they filled using the keyboard shortcut ⌘\. The issue was two copies of the extension getting confused with one not realising it wasn't meant to be paying attention. The fix is to stop 1Password mini appearing when it shouldn't. The extension still assumes that it should be talking to a single running copy of 1Password mini though.

I apologise if we got your hopes up there.

This discussion has been closed.