No Logins auto-captured anywhere

I am using the Mac App store version of 1P and Chrome 46.0.2490.86 (64-bit) and 1P does not automatically capture any new logins anywhere. For instance. I tried to sign up for Spotify today and I was not automatically prompted to save a new login. I have checked that the option to automatically capture new logins is turned on in the 1P app. Does anyone know how to fix this issue?

1Password Version: 5.4
Extension Version: 4.4.3.90
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @marsianbuddy,

Can I ask a couple of questions please.

1. Are you on a login page or a registration page when you expect 1Password to ask to save?
    2. Do you use the Password Generator inside of 1Password mini to create and fill the passwords into the page?

We are aware of certain bugs that need to be addressed. These questions will help us understand if one of these bugs is affecting your experience of 1Password.

• marsianbuddy
    marsianbuddy
    Community Member

Hi littlebobbytables,
    1) I am on a registration page when I'm expecting 1P to ask to save.
    2) I'm using the password generator in the extension in the browser to create and fill passwords on the page.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @marsianbuddy,

We're actively working on these as we sadly have to acknowledge there are bugs present - the current experience is not good.

Once working there is one thing to note. If we save a new Login item on a registration page it will be recording how to fill out the registration page and not the login page. For a while I did believe we did this on purpose because what you really want is 1Password to record what the login page looks like, not the registration page. I was wrong but it does mean that if when recording the details of the registration page we don't correctly guess which field is the username (the password is usually easy) then filling on the login page will fail until the item is altered. On a similar note if the login page requires more than two fields filled then the Login item must be created in the browser on that specific page.

I'm hopeful we're finally making some progress here. Fingers crossed!

ref: OPX-1049

• oyvindbo
    oyvindbo
    Community Member
    edited December 2015

I'm having similar problems. When I use the password generator when registering on a new service, 1password never prompts to save my password and I have to do this manually.

I have checked my settings, re-installed the plugin and even tried to re-install 1password.

This issue occurs on every page. Even when registering to the agilebits forum. It does not prompt me when I change the password or when I'm logging in to a service or page where I haven't saved my password yet.

Also it would be quite useful if 1password automagically detected that you are on a registration page, but I understand this is quite difficult to actually build. (file this is under feature requests...)

1Password
    Version 5.4 (540046)
    Mac App Store

Chrome Version 48.0.2564.23 beta (64-bit)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @oyvindbo,

We're not there yet but I do hope I have some good news sooner rather than later regarding this. I will be very happy when I can say this is fixed.

Just to make sure I correctly understand your feature request, when you say have 1Password automatically detect that you're on a registration page, do you mean to have 1Password ask to save the details or do you mean to have 1Password behave in a different way because it knows it's on a registration page. I just want to make sure I correctly understand before filing it. What I will say is once we've fixed the bug relating to use of the Password Generator and not asking to save 1Password will ask to save on registration pages I believe.

• oyvindbo
    oyvindbo
    Community Member

oh nice! Looking forward to this beeing fixed!

Yes, I would like 1password to detect that it is on a registration page, and give me an option to just save as a login. For the moment I have turned auto-submit off because it caused to much trouble. (I usually save my login when registering for a site.)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @oyvindbo,

Ideally that's what we want, 1Password to recognise which fields are required for the actual login and which are merely for registration and I don't envy the developers as I don't see that as an easy task at all, not given the myriad of forms and and approaches. Is a site asking for your first name and email address with the email address to be used as the username or is it asking for a username and email address? Let's say I look forward to seeing what they come up with.

• oyvindbo
    oyvindbo
    Community Member

Thank you again @littlebobbytables !

I'm a developer myself, so I know how difficult this can be. Appreciate your work on this, and looking forward to seeing the solution.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

As do I :lol:

This discussion has been closed.