Teams "My Vault" local backup?

Options

Is it possible to make a local backup of my team vaults, so they can be safely archived offline on USB drive? I do trust that AgileBits' servers adequately protect against data loss due to disaster, but it doesn't necessarily protect the user from themselves; all too often accidents happen, items get deleted, the trash emptied, tears shed. Monthly local backups would offer me the piece of mind that I can always look back through time... :chuffed:

I really do like the direction that 1Password is going with Teams, I prefer it to relying on 3rd party syncing services. Following the release of the latest Mac client, with many important fixes, my family and I have all moved from LastPass to 1Password. Really hoping that large family pricing will actually be affordable, otherwise I'll need to reconsider.

1Password Version: 5.5 BETA
Extension Version: 4.4.3
OS Version: 10.11.2
Sync Type: Teams

Comments

• Hi @qwrenly,

Thanks for writing in. While there's no "local backup" option, you could periodically do an Export of the vault into the 1pif format. This is an unencrypted format, so then you would be responsible for securing the data.

We're very conscious of issues like accidental deletion of items. We have some ideas that we're working through on how to make those kinds of experiences better.

Rick

• qwrenly
    qwrenly
    Community Member
    Options

@rickfillion - how would I go about exporting my team vault to the 1pif format? There doesn't seem to be a way. One of my team members just lost their whole vault during troubleshooting bizarre syncing conflicts. I've invested a whole lot of time transferring hundreds of items for my own vault, so I really need to find a way to at least get them out and backed up locally so that if the worst happens I can still open the vault and view the items offline.

• Hi @qwrenly,

Currently it's only possible to do 1pif export from the Desktop apps (i.e. 1Password for Mac). Once the vaults are added to 1Password for Mac, you can use the File > Export menu item to export one or many items out of the vault.

I hope this helps.

Rick

• qwrenly
    qwrenly
    Community Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

@rickfillion - Nope, cannot find a way to export my 1Password for Teams vaults? Which sucks because if I was able to make my own local offline backups right now then I'd have 100% confidence in using 1Password with my entire non-tech-savvy family for the time being... Right now however I'm really apprehensive and can't place much trust in it, having already seen an entire vault of 75 items disappear irreversibly. Even if the next updates do resolve the syncing issues which lead to the whole disaster, it's no protection against it happening again (never say never), nor against a member accidentally deleting and emptying their trash (habitual, thus inevitable). 1Password should work urgently to allow a user to recover any items deleted within the last 30days from within the website panel (just like LastPass does). At the same time, please focus on allowing us to export our vault to an encrypted .xml or something... (just like the LastPass firefox extension does from Advanced Tools in the dropdown menu).

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/260397/#Comment_260397

• donnywdavis
    donnywdavis
    Community Member
    Options

I just created a separate post about having an issue exporting due to setting up 1Password using only a teams account.

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/54477/bug-exporting-issue-when-using-the-teams-only-setup?new=1

• Hi @qwrenly,

Can you elaborate on your inability to export? Are you hitting the same bug that @donnywdavis did? Are you using the Teams-only setup? Are you not seeing an "Export" option in the menu? You'll need to select a specific vault for that menu to show up, as we don't allow exporting from All Vaults. Does your user have the permissions to Export for the vault you're trying to export?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Rick

• roustem
    edited December 2015
    Options

1Password for Teams provides automatic backups and it will be possible to restore items.

In fact, access to item change history is now available:

This discussion has been closed.