How to set up for 50 users in multiple departments?

CTYankee
CTYankee
Community Member
edited December 2015 in Business and Teams

I have been using 1Password for years and have considered buying licenses for users in my company. Teams looks like an even better option. However I'm not sure how to set this up. We have different departments that would all need their own Vault/Team: Personnel, Finance, IT, Creative, Project 1, Project 2, etc.

Would it be better to have one company "Team" and create groups and vaults within that? Or would it be better to create a new Team for each of these departments and projects and then have the main Admin be the same person (me) and share it with another admin for that team?

Something that may make it more complex, is some people could be members of multiple teams. Is pricing per team member per team or per user and they can access multiple teams?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @CTYankee,

Thank you for supporting 1Password all these years, and for your interest in 1Password for Teams! We wouldn't be here without awesome people like you :)

You raise a very interesting question. In some ways it would be better to create multiple teams as that would help keep things smaller and easier to manage. Where it gets tricky is when people need to belong to multiple teams. In the future we plan on providing federation of teams so you easily manage all your teams and people can signup to multiple teams without needing to register individually to each one, but this feature is a ways off.

I would suggest you create a single team and invite everyone to it. That way your team members only need to signup once and you can manage their access from a single Admin Console.

In your example, you would create vaults for Personnel, Finance, IT, Creative, Project 1, Project 2, etc, and then assign the individual users to those vaults as needed. We currently do not have support for Groups, but this is something we're considering adding so it would be great to know if this would be something you want or not.

By the way, out of curiosity, how big is your team?

Take care,

++dave;

• CTYankee
    CTYankee
    Community Member

One team is probably the best way to go. I have been experimenting with it a bit more and reading other forum posts and it seems one Team offers the most convenience and least complexity.

Groups is an interesting idea and I use that quite a bit for other services. In Office 365 it is very nice to have security groups and assign people permissions based on that. However the needs of Office 365 are very different than 1Password. I have thought about how I would use groups and I'm not sure. 1Password is about logins and security. The less sharing that goes on the better. Some Vaults may have shared logins, but for the most part our users would have their own logins and use their personal vault most of the time. I'll need to experiment with it some more to see if Groups would be a feature I would use.

Our organization is a bit complicated so its hard to say how many are part of our team. We have about 200 Office 365 licenses, but many of those are role based accounts or minimal users. Our core 'team' is probably close to 100 people. However I really don't know that all of them would use 1Password, that is why I stated 50. That represents our main operational teams and primary projects. The other 50 are more silo'd in their work or just not technically savvy and prefer to use sticky notes. :angry:

Thanks for making one of the best products I've ever used. I tell people all the time, its an essential. This could be the tool that helps me make it a part of all our staff's workflow. At least thats is the long term ideal goal.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

One team is probably the best way to go. I have been experimenting with it a bit more and reading other forum posts and it seems one Team offers the most convenience and least complexity.

@CTYankee: Obviously what works for us might not work for someone else, but I tend to agree. Having everyone in the same team makes managing everything much easier. However, for those who might need to manage multiple teams, it's easy to open separate browser windows or tabs with each. The main obstacle is human cognition, I think. :lol:

The less sharing that goes on the better. Some Vaults may have shared logins, but for the most part our users would have their own logins and use their personal vault most of the time.

That's a great point! It depends on the situation, but I feel like for the most part, people should have their own set of logins, and then in cases where certain ones need to be shared, those can go in a group vault. This probably grows exponentially over time (much like my vault itself), but I suspect that our individual logins will almost always outpace the number of shared logins.

Our core 'team' is probably close to 100 people. However I really don't know that all of them would use 1Password, that is why I stated 50. That represents our main operational teams and primary projects. The other 50 are more silo'd in their work or just not technically savvy and prefer to use sticky notes. :angry:

In time, 1Password for Teams should help un-sticky-fy these folks. Let's make that a goal! :sunglasses:

Thanks for making one of the best products I've ever used. I tell people all the time, its an essential. This could be the tool that helps me make it a part of all our staff's workflow. At least thats is the long term ideal goal.

:love:

You beat me to it!

Seriously, I read that after my remarks above. Thanks so much for your kind words, and helping us make 1Password for Teams the best it can be! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.