New iPad did not download app when sync with icloud. Downloaded app itunes, no data recovered

4family
4family
Community Member

Old iPad was backed up before dying. Purchased new and synced via icloud (not drive). App did not install with sync. Downloaded on device via app store. tried sync via app to icloud. no data recovered! Please help!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 9.2
Sync Type: icloud
Referrer: kb:forgot-master-password, kb:diagnostics

Comments

• Hi @4family,

Thanks for taking the time to write in. I'm sorry to hear about the difficulty. If you backed up 1Password prior to losing access to your old device you can find instructions on restoring here:

Creating and restoring 1Password backups in iTunes (iOS)

By default 1Password only stores the data you enter into it on the device you enter it on. You can change this by backing up (using the instructions in the above link) or syncing:

Sync | 1Password for iOS

As a last resort if none of the above information helps, you may be able to restore a device backup. Unfortunately these have not proven to be very reliable, which is part of the reason we've built a backup mechanism into 1Password itself. Instructions on restoring a device backup can be found from Apple here, but are to be followed at your own risk (I'd recommend making a fresh backup first):

Restore your device from an iCloud or iTunes backup - Apple Support

How to back up your devices using iCloud or iTunes - Apple Support

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• 4family
    4family
    Community Member

Old ipad is not usable (can't create any new backup). I did not backup to iTunes prior to the device crash, only icloud. Does restore from icloud require icloud drive?

• @4family,

iCloud syncing does require iCloud Drive be turned on (though we do not directly use iCloud Drive), but also must have been set up on the device that has the data on it. If you hadn't synced the data from the old iPad to iCloud you wouldn't now be able to sync any data from iCloud to the new iPad. It wouldn't be there to sync.

Do you have any device backups from the old iPad from before it stopped working? If so you may be able to use the instructions in my last two links to create a new backup of the new iPad, and then restore a backup of the old iPad to it...

Ben

• 4family
    4family
    Community Member

synced to icloud, but not icloud drive. does that matter?

• 4family
    4family
    Community Member
    edited December 2015

sorry, not very techy and had a TON of info on 1password that I thought was securely backed up using icloud...a bit frazzled :)
    I may have found an old itunes data file 5.1.2 Is there anyway to open and use this?

• Hi @4family,

Sorry for any confusion, but I'll attempt to clarify: unless you had explicitly made a 1Password backup or had set up syncing within 1Password (following the guides I linked above) then the only place your 1Password data would be stored would be on the old iPad.

If you have a backup of the old iPad you can try restoring that to the new iPad, which would hopefully bring 1Password's data with it. Before attempting such a thing I'd recommend backing up the new iPad.

1. Backup the new iPad
    2. Restore the old iPad's backup to the new iPad

Again of course this will only work if you actually had a backup of the old iPad from which you could restore.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.