i cannot launch 1 Password; when i click on the icon, a question mark appears in the icon

Options
cnmurphy
cnmurphy
Community Member

1Password will not launch; a question mark appears in the icon, but nothing else happens.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS 10.11.2
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:I cannot bring up 1Password; when i click on the icon, a question mark appears inside the icon

Comments

• cnmurphy
    cnmurphy
    Community Member
    Options

i cannot launch 1Password; when i click on the icon, a question mark appears within the icon, but the app will not launch.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

@cnmurphy - Did you, by any chance, recently upgrade from an older version? Usually that icon with the question mark means that the shortcut to the application in your Application folder cannot locate the application to open it. If you open your Applications folder in Finder, what do you see for 1Password? Can you launch it directly from the Applications folder? If you can do that, I'd recommend dragging the question mark icon up out of the dock and letting go on the desktop to delete the inoperative shortcut. Then from the Applications folder, drag the working application to the dock and put it where you want. That will create a new shortcut to 1Passwordshould work.

Let us know that goes.

• cnmurphy
    cnmurphy
    Community Member
    Options

ok . . i foolishly forgot to check my applications folder before dragging the question mark icon out of the dock and letting go on the desktop to delete it. i went to applications folder and found only the files shown in the pic below. i went through the folders and found no "working application" to drag to the dock. (i also have 1P for my iPhone and iPad.) what would you suggest? btw, i sincerely appreciate your help.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @cnmurphy,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry that you are having some trouble. Thanks also for photo of your screen. It is super helpful! It indicates that 1Password for Mac may not actually be installed on your Mac.

I don't see a license for 1Password for Mac associated with the email address you used to sign up for this forum. That could mean you purchased 1Password for Mac on the Mac App Store, or you purchased it under a different email address, or you simply haven't purchased a 1Password for mac license yet.

Note that 1Password for Mac is licensed separately from 1Password for iOS.

If you purchased 1Password for Mac on the Mac App Store, you can download a fresh copy of it from the Purchased tab in the Mac App Store:

If you purchased from our website (AgileBits Store) or have not yet purchased a 1Password for Mac license, you can download a copy of 1Password for Mac here:

Download 1Password for Mac

If you have a license, be sure to apply it:

How do I add my license to 1Password?

Otherwise, you can use the free 30 day trial to decide whether or not you wish to purchase a license. :)

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help.

Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.