Synching

Options
Bobbi
Bobbi
Community Member

I am running Yosemite on a Mac in my primary residence and Snow Leopard on a Mac (a 32 bit machine) in my second residence. Can I synch between the two? Do I need to buy 2 licenses, one for a legacy app and the current app? Will they work together? I cant use iCloud because cant use it with Snow Leopard so can I use iCloud for my main computer and iPhone and synch the iPhone to my legacy system by wifi when I get to my second home?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: ug:mac/requirements, ug:mac/sync-wi-fi, kb:sync-options, kb:legacy-versions, kb:license-requirements

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Bobbi,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us.

A single 1Password for Mac license covers your use of 1Password for Mac on as many Macs as you use. And a 1Password 5 for Mac license covers all previous versions of 1Password for Mac. So you are all set in that regard if you have a 1Password for Mac license.

As for syncing, I would recommend Dropbox. Only the version of 1Password from the Mac App Store supports iCloud syncing, and, as you mentioned, it won't work on the older Mac.

Syncing with Dropbox is an excellent choice. It's how I have always synced my 1Password data and still do. Wi-Fi Sync must be done with the two devices connected to the same Wi-Fi network. This means that you need to remember to sync them before you go on an adventure that separates them. Dropbox syncing is fully automatic and securely syncs your 1Password data anywhere you have Internet access. There's nothing to remember (or forget!), and I definitely consider that a win. :)

Additionally, your 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted, so with regard to security there is not a difference between syncing 1Password data with Dropbox or iCloud. 1Password simply doesn't depend on the security of either to protect your data. 1Password provides its own protection.

Dropbox also has the advantage that it can be used to share vaults with friends, family, and co-workers. It is not possible to share anything between iCloud accounts.

The 1Password for Mac User Guide can get you started if you wanted to sync with Dropbox:

1Password for Mac: Sync with Dropbox

I hope that helps. Please let me know!

This discussion has been closed.