Move vault to thumb drive?

Options
staufferandsons
staufferandsons
Community Member

I want to create a vault that is COMPLETELY separate from the one I have on my computer, that only runs on my thumb drive, which is encrypted. I'm running Mac OSX 10.11.2. How do I do this? I do not want to use the "sync" feature where I can switch back and forth between vaults in 1Password—I need the separation between the two. I can't figure out how to do this. Can you help?

1Password Version: 5.4
Extension Version: 540046
OS Version: 10.11.2
Sync Type: Local
Referrer: forum-search:move vault to thumb drive

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @staufferandsons,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us.

1Password will always store it's data locally. At this time, there is not a way to only store a vault on a USB flash drive. It sounds like you are already familiar with it, but the Folder Sync feature does allow you to sync a copy of the local data to a USB flash drive. However, as you noted, the local copy remains.

I'm wondering if 1Password for Teams could play a role in the solution here. But I am most interested to know the use case. I'll be able to provide a solution if I know your goals, requirements, and the reasons for them. I'm sure we can find a good solution with some more details from you. :)

• staufferandsons
    staufferandsons
    Community Member
    Options

Hmm. This seems like a very basic request—I'm surprised there's no quick solution for it. I want a 1Password vault that only lives on a hard drive. You're saying that's not possible? The idea is an air-gapped thumb drive of sorts that can be accessed from any machine but keeps all its data just on the drive.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@staufferandsons,

It is not possible at this time. 1Password stores its data locally for a few different reasons. One of them is to provide tight integration with browsers. This integration offers increased security through direct filling rather than copying/pasting.

Another reason for the local storage is data availability, a critical (and often overlooked) aspect of security. Where would the backup for such a vault reside? Would you be manually making such a backup? 1Password provides automatic daily backups of your data, so you can roll back to a previous version whenever you need to.

These are things that, as a commercial product for users of all levels of computer (and infosec) literacy, we need to take into consideration.

I'm not saying it would be impossible to do what you are requesting in the future, but there are reasons 1Password was not designed with that as a primary use case.

The only thing I can think of at the moment would be to add the vault to 1Password for Mac, and then delete the vault when you are done.

• julie-tx
    julie-tx
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@staufferandsons -

I'd like to better understand the scenarios in which you'd use this stand-alone vault, as well as the risks you are protecting against. There may be other methods to achieve the result you're seeking or mitigate the risks you're attempting to avoid.

I have been looking at disaster recovery scenarios where stand-alone storage may be a requirement and I don't want to miss any use cases you have in mind.

• staufferandsons
    staufferandsons
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the help. I'll just use a flat file instead. Didn't know it would be so complicated. I appreciate you looking into it though.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@staufferandsons,

We really would love to better understand the scenario. As Julie mentioned, there may be other methods to achieve the result you're seeking or mitigate the risks you're attempting to avoid.

If you would prefer to discuss it more privately for any reason, shoot us an email: support+forum@agilebits.com

If you just don't want to discuss it, that's okay too. We can respect that.

Either way, have a great rest of your week and a lovely New Year!

This discussion has been closed.