Mac, iOS, Vaults & Dropbox

Options
Chairwalker
Chairwalker
Community Member

Using 1P on my Mac and on my iPhone, I have created a few secondary vaults since the vault feature appeared 1P. All my vaults reside on Dropbox and everything was working fine. Lately, I installed a fresh version of OS X on my Mac, reinstalled Dropbox and 1P.

My problem is simple: only my main vault appears in 1P on my Mac (I can see my other vault in my Dropbox folder). I can switch to any vault on my iPhone (everything is there).

Question: how can I make my secondary vaults reappear on 1P on my mac?

Thank you !!

1Password Version: 5.4
Extension Version: 4.4.4
OS Version: El Capitan
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Good question, @Chairwalker. :)

Additional vaults need to be added manually. The short version is "double-click them in Finder". The long version is in the very last section ("Access a shared vault") here:

1Password for Mac: Share a vault

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help.

Cheers!

• Chairwalker
    Chairwalker
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the quick answer. 1P is a great software (there a lot of that) and offers also a great customer service (great service + great service - that's rare).

When I double-click a vault in the Finder, I'm asked for the vault's password. The thing is: I don't remember the password of my other vaults.

What's weird for me is the fact that I can access all my vaults on my iPhone once I unlock 1P on that device while 1P doesn't behave the same on my Mac. Having created them with 1P on my Mac, I was expecting access to those additional vaults as I unlock my main vault.

Can you help me on this as I can access all my vaults on my iPhone?

Thank you.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Chairwalker,

Thanks for the additional information! If I understand, it sounds like you previously had all of those secondary vaults in 1Password on your Mac, but after doing the clean install of OS X, you needed to set up 1Password again and re-add each of those vaults (but cannot do that because you don't remember their master passwords).

When you created each secondary vault on your Mac, you would have chosen a master password (and hint) for each one. For your convenience, once secondary vaults have been added to 1Password for Mac (or iOS), unlocking the Primary vault will automatically unlock the secondary vaults as well. However, that can also make it easy to forget a master password for a secondary vault. When you first added/synced those vaults to 1Password on your iPhone, you would have needed to enter the master password for each one. Similarly, now that you need to re-add those vaults to 1Password on your Mac, you need to enter the master password for each one.

Maybe the hint you chose for each secondary vault will remind you what its master password is? When you double-click the vault file in Dropbox, the hint should appear after entering an incorrect master password.

If that doesn't help, and you can't figure out/remember the master password for each secondary vault, you won't be able to re-add them to 1Password on your Mac. However, there's another option: Do you have a backup of your Mac from before you did the fresh OS X installation? If so, we can help you get a copy of your 1Password backup files from the backup of your Mac, and restore 1Password to the way it was before this happened. The backup will include all of your secondary vaults, but will only require the master password from the Primary vault in order to restore everything.

Please let us know if you have a backup of your Mac, and we'll continue from there. Also, are you using the Mac App Store version or the AgileBits Store version of 1Password for Mac? Thanks!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Chairwalker,

We can also get the data from your iPhone if you have it there. It sounds like you might, but I want to confirm that in case we need to go that route.

• Chairwalker
    Chairwalker
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Guys - Thanks again for the support great support.

@Drew_AG : You're right about my storyline. I do have local backups (SupeDuper) and remote backups (Crashplan) but none one prior to my clean install (I should have known better). I use the Mac App Store version of 1P.

Unfortunately, I have a few secondary vaults and don't remember all the passwords (even with the hint). Fortunately, none of the secondary vault contains a lot of entries. A manual copy is an optional route here.

Lesson learned: take notes your secondary vaults password in my main 1P vault.

@khad : As you mentioned (We can also get the data from your iPhone if you have it there. It sounds like you might, but I want to confirm that in case we need to go that route), I'm interested to go that route. I suppose I can make copy of my main vault and empty that copy of all it's entries (assuming the passwords of my secondary vaults are still in the main vault file). From there, I can send you a link (Dropbox) to that file. Isms guess about what to do right?

Suggestion based on @Drew_AG comment (For your convenience, once secondary vaults have been added to 1Password for Mac (or iOS), unlocking the Primary vault will automatically unlock the secondary vaults as well.) : Assuming the secondary vaults passwords are hidden somewhere in the main 1P vault, why don't offer the user to create visible entries (for those passwords) in the main 1P file in the secondary vault creation dialog?

Luke

P.-S. Sorry for language, French is my mother tongue.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @Chairwalker! And don't worry about your English, I think it's fine, and your replies have been easy for me to understand. :)

First, to answer your question:

Assuming the secondary vaults passwords are hidden somewhere in the main 1P vault, why don't offer the user to create visible entries (for those passwords) in the main 1P file in the secondary vault creation dialog?

Actually, the master passwords for the secondary vaults aren't stored in the Primary vault (and neither is your Primary vault's master password). In fact, your master passwords aren't stored anywhere at all (which is part of what makes 1Password so secure).

To make a long story short, when you choose a master password for a vault, that password is used to encrypt a key, and that key encrypts the data in the vault. When you have multiple vaults in 1Password for Mac or iOS, unlocking the Primary vault automatically unlocks the secondary vaults by using their encrypted keys, not their master passwords. But the Primary vault doesn't have access to those vaults' encrypted keys until you add those vaults to 1Password (which requires entering their master passwords).

In the future, you can certainly choose to store the master passwords for other vaults in your Primary vault if you want to.

Now, getting back to solving the problem: To get the data from your iPhone, you can make a backup of that data and copy it to your Mac, then use that backup to restore all your vaults to 1Password on your Mac. You can do that by following these steps:

• Follow the steps in the "Creating manual backups" section here: Creating and restoring 1Password backups in iTunes (iOS)
    • After following those steps, you should have a backup file with a ".1p4_zip" extension on your Mac.
    • Open the 1Password app on your Mac, and go to File > Restore.
    • In the window that opens, click Find Backup.
    • Select your backup file and click the Add Backup button.
    • Select that backup (it should be the most recent one) and click the Restore button.

If all goes well, you should have all your vaults back in 1Password on your Mac, and can unlock them all by unlocking the Primary vault. You will need to re-enable Dropbox sync for each vault that syncs with your iPhone, and you'll be able to select the appropriate .agilekeychain files in Dropbox when you do that. The only problem you might run into is if you are asked for the master password for your secondary vaults when re-enabling Dropbox sync. If so, just let us know and we'll help you find another way around that.

Now, even if everything works well up to this point, please keep in mind that you still don't know the master passwords for your secondary vaults, so if you need to go through something like this again in the future, you'll run into a problem again. To avoid that problem, you may want to create new secondary vaults in 1Password on your Mac, making sure you choose master passwords that you'll remember. Then you can copy or move items from the old secondary vaults to the new ones, and finally, delete the old secondary vaults from 1Password on your Mac and iPhone (and from Dropbox). You'll be able to sync the new vaults to Dropbox from your Mac and add them to 1Password on your iPhone. If you decide to do that and need some more specific instructions, please let us know.

Let us know how it all goes and if you have questions about any of that. Thanks! :)

• Chairwalker
    Chairwalker
    Community Member
    Options

Hi !!

Problem solved !! All data recovered and syncing well across all platforms. I couldn't resist a review on the MAS:

Title: Buy and have a good night !!

There’s a lot of apps here. Only a small percentage of those apps are great and 1Password is among them. 1P is well designed and a complete solution across all platforms.

Of those great apps, only a few offer a first class and quick support: that makes 1Password a STELLAR product. At the time of this writing, there is 43 comments for the current version and those 43 reviews gave 5 stars to 1P.

Let me be no 44 !!

I also left a review on the AppStore. Hopefully, Apple will approve my reviews faster than they approve apps.

Thank you @Drew_AG .
    Thank you @khad .

Luke (from Québec 46° 48' 0" N / 71° 15' 0" W)

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Chairwalker,

On behalf of myself and Drew (who honestly did most of the work), you are quite welcome. Thank you so much for your kind words (and for sharing them with the world in your review). I'm sharing them with the whole team here now. :)

I also left a review on the AppStore. Hopefully, Apple will approve my reviews faster than they approve apps.

Haha! Have a great rest of your week and a lovely New Year, Luke!

All the best to you.

This discussion has been closed.