"Failed to connect to 1Password mini"

Options
malorkus
malorkus
Community Member

I have never used 1Password before, yet I got this error on OS X after downloading and opening the latest from the AgileBits site. Any suggestions?

1Password Version: 5.4.1
Extension Version: N/A
OS Version: OS X 10.11.2
Sync Type: N/A
Referrer: kb:remove-multiple-apps, kb:error-connect-to-mini

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @malorkus,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry that you are having some trouble.

This only applies if you are using the version of 1Password from the AgileBits Store on OS X El Capitan, which you indicated that you are. If anyone else comes across this thread in the future and is using the version from the Mac App Store or an older version of OS X, please see our support article Troubleshooting “1Password failed to connect to 1Password mini”.

With that disclaimer out of the way, this should resolve things for you:

1. Make sure that 1Password 5.app is located in the Applications folder.
    2. Open Terminal (found in the Applications folder under Utilities).
    3. Copy and paste the following into Terminal on a single line:

xattr -d -r -s com.apple.quarantine /Applications/1Password\ 5.app

4. Press Return.

5. Open 1Password again.
  • malorkus
    malorkus
    Community Member
    Options

@khad Thanks for the reply, but it didn't help. As before, the app starts up, beachballs for about a minute, then quits with the "failed to connect to 1Password mini" error. I even tried completely disabling app quarantine in OS X Settings, but it made no difference. Any other ideas? I'd like to try 1Password out before buying; Is that possible via the App Store?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Apple does not allow trial versions on the App Store, but I'm sure we can resolve things for you. I see you already viewed our aforelinked support article: https://support.1password.com/error-connect-to-mini/

But be sure to follow the steps there including removing any duplicate copies of 1Password you may have.

If you are still having trouble, I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/mac.html

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and ensure that it is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• malorkus
    malorkus
    Community Member
    Options

khad, after rebooting my computer and trying again, the app appears to open without the error. If it shows up again I'll be sure to send some diagnostics your way. Thanks.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Wonderful news! Thanks for letting me know all is well, @malorkus. :)

Do be in touch if if you have any further trouble. We are always here to help!

Have a great rest of your week and a lovely New Year!

This discussion has been closed.