Feature request: YUBIKEY support

krijgsman
krijgsman
Community Member

Hi,

I know this was once unofficially supported, then removed. Some people have requested it in the past but not in the last few years. So here I go again.

I've been using 1Password since version 3 and loved it. I'm using it to sync passwords and other data to all of my devices and it has enabled me to use strong, individual, passwords. However, I feel a need to increase my identity management. One password that protect them all simply is not good enough. With all the information stored in 1Password that single password is safeguarding almost all of my personal data (creditcard, bitcoin, passport) The last few months I have stopped recommending 1Password to people because of the lack of multi-authentication.

Offering support for the latest version of YubiKey will greatly enhance the security of 1Password and build my trust into using this great util for the coming years.

I'm not asking to change the name 1Password to MultiAuthenticationPassword, or MAPassword but adding an option for advanced users might be a good idea. It shouldn't be that hard as Yubico offers great API's and dev-support.

Regards,
Dirk

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb-search:YUBIKEY, kb:touch-id-faq, kb-search:YUBIKEY, kb-search:yubikey

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @krijgsman,

Thanks so much for the suggestion. You're certainly not the first person to request such a feature, and I'm happy to pass your thoughts along to our development team.

Since you mention authentication, I wanted to direct your attention to our support article: Authentication vs. Encryption.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns! :)

• krijgsman
    krijgsman
    Community Member

Thanks for you quick response Megan. That article is very interesting reading material. Although I still think that some form of two factor authentication can be accomplished with 1Password I do understand the technical difficulties your development team faces. It will require the vault to be encrypted using a second key. Making it impossible to open the vault when the multi-factor-device is rendered useless. I will also be required to use the multi-factor-device on all of the user-devices (like iPhone, iPads etc).

I feel a bit safer now after reading that document :-)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@krijgsman: "Classic" 1Password is intentionally designed to work completely locally and/or offline if needed, and that really precludes authentication of this kind.

However, 1Password for Teams stores data on the server, so it could theoretically be used to authenticate using various methods. Multi factor is something we're definitely looking at there, and I appreciate you letting us know that Yubikey is your factor of choice! :)

This discussion has been closed.