Transfer 1Password from old iPhone 5s to new iPhone 6s

Options
pjxchange
pjxchange
Community Member

Hello,
I'm unable to restore my backup of 1Password to my new iPhone.
I did an iTunes back up to my Mac (OS X 10.11.2) of 1Password from my old phone, an iPhone 5s (iOS 7) using 1Password ver. 4.5.3.

Now i'm trying to restore that 1Password back up to my new iPhone 6s. The app backed up just fine, but none of the data came with it.

How can I restore the data that is still on my Laptop? I tried restoring from the iCloud back up as well as the backup to the laptop, but neither one is bringing in my data. What should I do? I'm fine with a w-fi transfer if necessary, but can't figure that out either.

1Password Version: 4.5.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.2
Sync Type: iCloud, or over Wi-Fi
Referrer: kb-search:how to restore from icloud, kb:ios-itunes-backups

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @pjxchange,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry that you are having some trouble.

I think maybe you already said this, but can you confirm that you have 1Password installed on your Mac with all of your data in it? If so, it should be pretty straightforward to sync the data to 1Password on your iPhone.

• pjxchange
    pjxchange
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Khad!!
    Yes that's right I still have my old iphone and I backed up all the data. (Both to computer AND to iCloud)

The restore attempt restored just the app not the data, because when I open 1Password up in my new iPhone 6s Plus, your App is asking me if:
    "Welcome to password vault, would you like to sync with an existing vault or create a new one?."

Then it gives me the three options:
    Create a new vault.
    Sync with an existing vault.
    Sign into teams account

Help, I'm freaking out

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No worries, @pjxchange. We can get it sorted out.

The easiest way to do it would probably be to set up Dropbox syncing. That way, whenever you get a new phone in the future, you can just sync the data over from Dropbox without going through all this again.

You will need to create a free Dropbox account if you don't already have one: https://www.dropbox.com/

But you don't need to installed the Dropbox app on either iPhone. The 1Password app has built-in support for syncing with Dropbox on iOS.

On your old phone, enable Dropbox syncing by opening the 1Password app and going to Settings > Sync

The steps should be similar in that old version of 1Password you have on the old phone, but it's been a couple years since I last used it myself. The app should walk you through it. You can see the steps for the current version to get an idea:

https://support.1password.com/guides/ios/sync-with-dropbox.html

Then, once the data is synced to Dropbox, you can choose the "Sync with an existing vault" option in 1Password on your new phone.

If you are stuck on any part, please let me know. I'm happy to provide further assistance.

Cheers!

• pjxchange
    pjxchange
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Khad,
    Drop box worries me because of the security issue. Hackers can get at drop box accounts, and then what? I'm screwed. Will it be encrypted? The truth now. :-)

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Good question, @pjxchange. It is great that you are thinking about these things. As you might imagine, we think about them ourselves — quite a bit actually. :)

Syncing with Dropbox is an excellent choice. It's how I have always synced my 1Password data and still do. Your 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted, so with regard to security there is not a difference between syncing 1Password data with Dropbox or iCloud. 1Password simply doesn't depend on the security of either to protect your data. 1Password provides its own protection.

What is end-to-end encryption? How does that protect my data?

Your 1Password data is encrypted on your device and remains encrypted when syncing, so you are not relying on the security of any other service to keep your data safe.

• pjxchange
    pjxchange
    Community Member
    Options

The transfer went well, but now I have a bigger problem. I lost two of my old iPhones during my Christmas travel. How can i delete the 1password files from Dropbox?? I know they are encrypted, but I just want them off the public domain.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @pjxchange,

As long as you have your vaults on a device that is still under your control then you can log into your Dropbox account and their interface will allow you to delete anything that resides in your Dropbox folder. If you're very concerned you would want to show deleted files and then right click to permanently delete them.

If you're still concerned you would want to start changing passwords starting with Dropbox and then onto your more critical sites.

If 1Password is still syncing to Dropbox the deletion of the Agile Keychain from Dropbox's servers will cause each copy to complain about the missing Agile Keychain but don't worry, 1Password simply disables syncing and the message is merely to let you know.

Does that help at all?

I have no idea if it will allay your fears at all but almost everybody here at AgileBits uses Dropbox. Dave Teare himself uses it extensively and I trust him when it comes to being safe.

• pjxchange
    pjxchange
    Community Member
    Options

No worries. I just deleted them from Dropbox. (of course, nothing is ever 100% deleted on the internet.)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @pjxchange,

So far I haven't seen any reference to 1Password for Mac. If you do use it then you could avoid Dropbox by using Wi-Fi Sync which allows a single copy of 1Password for Mac to sync to one or more iOS devices. You're right, you have to trust Dropbox when they say permanently delete but if you don't believe they do you may want to not have an account with them at all.

It sounds like things are currently under control though but if you have any other queries or issues please do contact us :smile:

• pjxchange
    pjxchange
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. You're right I probably should have used Wi-Fi Sync, but I couldn't figure it out. So I used Dropbox and it worked fine, but i was so concerned about my privacy, I went and spent about 12 hours yesterday, changing all my old passwords in 1Password on my new iPhone 6s+. It's the only way to ensure absolute security.

Supposedly, according to agilebits, the Dropbox files were encrypted, but still I wasn't going to take any chances with all that access to bank accounts, and government portals, and shopping sites. Hell no.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @pjxchange,

You have your reasons and I will respect them but just to say I know that almost everybody here at AgileBits entrusts Dropbox with all of that kind of data.

Now if you want to revisit Wi-Fi Sync please let us know as I use it myself (I did say almost everybody :wink:) and between a single Mac and multiple iOS devices it normally works fine and will work fine in the next stable release of 1Password for iOS as we've got a bug to fix after we introduced the new All Vault view. I still use it though but I also keep certain data in Dropbox and lots of stuff in our own Team vault too. I don't claim to trust AgileBits because I'm part of the team, I'm part of the team because they liked me when I was just a customer that loved and trusted them with all my data :smile:

This discussion has been closed.