Network activity on Android

Options
FunKing
FunKing
Community Member

Hi there!

== INTRODUCTION ==

I've been using password managers for more than 10 years on mobile devices (starting with a Palm IIIxe), and now I'm looking for a good app on Android. I liked some of 1password's features (doesn't require an online account, is relatively small, the desktop app can import from many formats), and also liked the amount of information available on its website (including privacy details, forums and so on). Unfortunately, i noticed some unexplained network activity while using the app.

== PROBLEM ==

I have disabled Rich Icons in the app settings and also disabled Sync. Yet, I notice that 1Password for Android seems to try to connect to the Internet when I perform almost any operation, such as after entering my master password, creating/editing/deleting an entry or folder, and also when I do something as simple as (un)marking an entry as a favourite.

I've read the network activity page, but it doesn't say if that information applies to desktop and/or mobile apps. Anyway, it doesn't provide any explanation for the app to try to connect to the Internet right after any of the cited operations.

Maybe I'm missing something, so please let me know if there is a good reason for the app to perform this way, or if there is something to prevent this behavior.

Thanks!

1Password Version: 4.5.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 5.1.1
Sync Type: None

Comments

• saad
    Options

Hi, there! 1Password uses the network for Dropbox and Wi-Fi sync, downloading Rich Icons and using functionalities of the built-in web browser. While in trial mode, 1Password also periodically check for your purchase of the Premium Features using Google Play Services.

The Premium Features is an in-app purchase that gives you the ability to add items, edit existing items and organize your items into folders. Once you have purchased the Premium Features, all of your other Android devices using the same Google account will also get the Premium Features unlocked. After the free trial period ends, these features will not be available without a purchase and 1Password will only allow viewing your items.

When you first install 1Password, the Premium Features are available to you in trial mode. Features such as favouriting items, adding new items, and editing existing items are part of the premium features, so 1Password needs to validate you are in trial mode, and if you are, it may do a check with Google Play Services whether you have purchased a license on a different Android device. It sounds like this is what might be happening on your device!

I hope that helps! Please let us know if you have any other questions. :)

This discussion has been closed.