Vault question with icloud

Options
rlgleason51
rlgleason51
Community Member

I know that iCloud does not sync vaults. However, what happens in this scenario:?

I want to archive some old data into a vault called 'archives". Don't know if I will do it on my Mac or iOS device, but I assume the handling will be the same.

Questions:

1- when I move (copy/delete) the record to the vault (for instance, my Mac), what happens to the record on my devices? Do they stay in place? Or does 1p assume they've been deleted and remove them? Is it different if I do the work on my iOS device?

2- for safety and back ups, I assume it is better to to do this on my Mac, correct?

Thanks

1Password Version: 6.1.2 and Mac latest
Extension Version: Latest
OS Version: 10.10.3
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rlgleason51,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us.

I know that iCloud does not sync vaults.

iCloud can certainly sync the Primary vault in 1Password for iOS as well as the version of 1Password for Mac from the Mac App Store. Perhaps you meant "secondary vaults", which is true. Only the Primary vault can be synced with iCloud.

1- when I move (copy/delete) the record to the vault (for instance, my Mac), what happens to the record on my devices? Do they stay in place? Or does 1p assume they've been deleted and remove them? Is it different if I do the work on my iOS device?

However you are syncing each vault, 1Password will keep it up to date everywhere you are syncing it. Let's use an example:

1. Primary vault - syncing with iCloud
    2. Archive vault - not syncing
    3. Family vault - syncing with Dropbox

If you move an item from Primary to Archive, then the item will be removed from the Primary vault in 1Password on all devices syncing with iCloud. The item will only exist in the Archive vault on that computer/device since the Archive vault is not syncing at all.

If you copy an item from Primary to Archive, then the item will still be syncing in the Primary vault via iCloud. A separate copy will be stored in the Archive vault.

Any item you place in the Family vault will sync to all devices running 1Password that are syncing that specific vault via Dropbox.

2- for safety and back ups, I assume it is better to to do this on my Mac, correct?

Personally, I always back up my data before a big operation in 1Password (File > Backup). 1Password creates daily backups automatically, but I like to have one right before the change, so I can easily roll back to it if I need to. And I like to move and copy items on my Mac. I'm honestly not sure if moving and copying between vaults is available on iOS yet. It is in the beta, but I can't remember if that made it to the App Store yet. But if you do it on your Mac, then it doesn't matter. :)

I hope that helps. Please let me know.

Cheers!

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member
    Options

Tells me what I want d to know. Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2016
    Options

On behalf of khad, you are most welcome! It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if you have any other questions. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.