Can you talk me through setting up a bank login that won't allow a password to be pasted in?

Options

My bank doesn't allow a password to be copied and pasted into the field where the password is and also may times requires me to receive a text with a 4 digit code that needs to be put in before i can go to the site. There are also a few security questions that pop up occasionally.

1Password Version: 5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: kb:share-vault

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Kathy_Allen,

Banks are difficult. They find inventive ways of asking their customers to log in and they're also the hardest for us to test because unless somebody at AgileBits has an account there is the distinct chance that we won't be able to see any second (or third) page in the login sequence.

If your bank request the full password each time then there is a reasonable chance that using a Login item to fill the password will work. The reason is we don't use copy and paste but alter the web page directly. As way of a test I would say the next time you log into your bank's online portal try creating a Login item using our How to manually save a Login guide and see if that Login works when trying to fill with it.

There will be a streamlined approach that we can devise but to determine what this would be we would need an idea of the sequence of actions required. For example are you always asked for your username on the first page, password on the second and then either a 4 digit code that was sent or the answer to a security question or on the password page are you sometimes asked for extra information there? I would also be curious to know, has you bank disabled copying and pasting when they ask for the answers to your security questions?

The reason for the last question is whenever I'm asked to set up security questions I use a custom section with custom fields (this link to Add custom fields may be of use) where I use the label for the security question and the field holds the answer. By setting the field type to password I also have it where it isn't displayed. I find this useful as whenever I'm asked for the answer I click on the field to copy the response to the clipboard and then paste into the field. If you can paste into the security question fields this might be of use to you as well.

As we learn a little about how you log into your bank's site I'm sure we can optimise this and have 1Password do as much as we can get it to :smile:

• mcuk
    mcuk
    Community Member
    Options

Hi - it would be great if we could get 1password to handle the common second phase security where a number of characters from a passphrase are requested. It is quite laborious having to count the characters three or four times to complete the action and requires the password to be revealed.

One method would simply be to provide a feature in the context menu where the required characters can be set - and then auto-complete the fields based on the user input.. or perhaps simpler, just provide a slider or spinner widget to select one character at a time from any password field...

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mcuk,

For the moment what we have is something called Large Type. It is manual but I find it works quite well when I use it both for my bank and 3D Secure or Verified by Visa.

When I'm on the page that requires the x, y & z characters from a password I open 1Password mini and find the relevant Login item or Credit Card item. I anchor the item to my screen using the keyboard shortcut ⌘O and you can learn a bit more about anchoring from the Anchors Aweigh section of our 1Password mini page.

Next I use the large type option like this

and this will result in the following on the screen.

Each character has its index labelled and focus will still be on the field on the web page. So far what I find is it allows me to fairly easily locate the correct character and type it without jumping backwards and forwards. Of course, it isn't something you would want to use in a public area given it's clearly displaying your password in a large font but you might find it an improvement over any previous workaround you've been using.

I'll be interested in your thoughts on this as I've found it quite handy and I altered by various items to remove the workarounds I'd employed so that I now fully rely on it.

This discussion has been closed.