Feature Request - Store 1password data on agilebits server like LastPass

Options
photoreel
photoreel
Community Member

I love 1password, but I'm having to switch to LastPass because where I work I have to use my employer's computers and installing my 1password and Dropbox on my work computer is not possible. Also, 1password Anywhere is not a viable solution for me as it is bit cumbersome (log into dropbox, then log into my vault, manually reveal/copy passwords, etc). It would be great if 1password gave me the option of saving my password data on agilebit's servers and then allowed me to access that data with only my 1password browser extension, like LastPass. I really like 1password and it's a drag that I'm having to switch to LastPass!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@photoreel I appreciate everyone will have different views about this but I suspect you'll find many 1Password users use 1Password precisely because AgileBits doesn't store their data on its servers. That's certainly a huge attraction of 1Password for me.

While I also appreciate that not everyone has mobile devices I'm guessing that many do these days—and that many 1Password users sync their 1P data between their computer and their mobile device(s). That's what I do and it's the mobile device(s) on which I rely when I travel.

All of that said, you might possibly be interested in the ideas behind the recently introduced beta of 1Password for Teams.

Stephen

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@photoreel: Indeed, it sounds like 1Password for Teams may be right up your alley. Just keep in mind that you may be fighting a losing battle when it comes to your company, as they could just as easily prevent you from installing 1Password — or block the 1Password for Teams website. Let's hope it doesn't come to that! :lol:

You can find more information i the knowledgebase link Stephen_C provided, as well as our main 1Password for Teams website, where you can learn more and sign up:

1Password for Teams

I hope this helps. Be sure to let us know if you have any questions! :)

• photoreel
    photoreel
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty @Stephen_C Thanks for pointing out 1Password for Teams to me. That might work, though it would be a bit expensive (1Password for Teams $60/year vs LastPass $12/year vs Dashlane $40/year)

I do still think it would be great if 1Password (not the teams version) offered an option for users to store their vaults on agilebits' server. I'm sure there are some folks who don't want to deal with Dropbox or storing their vaults locally and are willing to make the security / convenience trade-off. I started out more concerned about security (which is why I went with 1Password) but now I find myself more concerned with convenience.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@photoreel: To be clear, pricing hasn't been decided yet. We especially want to have good options for families and individuals, but we're not there yet.

I do still think it would be great if 1Password (not the teams version) offered an option for users to store their vaults on agilebits' server. I'm sure there are some folks who don't want to deal with Dropbox or storing their vaults locally and are willing to make the security / convenience trade-off. I started out more concerned about security (which is why I went with 1Password) but now I find myself more concerned with convenience.

I couldn't agree more. While we're primarily focused on the "Teams" in 1Password for Teams at this stage, that's definitely something that's on our mind, which we'll be able to look at more closely in the future. And I think you'll find that we've put a lot of effort into making it secure without sacrificing convenience — quite the contrary, especially with the web interface. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.