Support for fingerprint unlock [released]

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Fingerprint is basic functionality and I guess I'm just waiting since 1Password for Teams gets prioritized in development to sell to the enterprise crowd, and I don't appreciate that.

@steezuschrist: It isn't. We're working on both...which is admittedly probably part of why both are taking longer. ;)

@BXIA, @BoyBlunder: We're not where we want to be with 1Password for Android yet. We would have absolutely loved to release something sooner, but we're not willing to rush it out. That wouldn't please anyone past the initial excitement. That would be sort of like if your parents let you open a Christmas present early, and it was a lump of coal (or worse). We'd rather release something we're proud of, than just get something out there that nobody's happy with, and I can't imagine that an incomplete release would be well-received.

Thanks for continuing to push us to do better. We're working hard to make sure that your patience has not been in vain. :)

• BXIA
    BXIA
    Community Member

@brenty I understand. Maybe you have your own reason for putting iOS users into priority. As a Android user I'm super excited about this release. I hope it won't disappoint us after two year's wait.

• @BXIA I'm sorry that you feel that Android isn't a priority! :( I do understand that it's difficult to see the work going into the app, but as someone with a bit of an inside scoop, I can say that one thing that we are most certainly committed to Android, and to bring feature parity to 1Password on Android.

I'm super excited for this release, too! I don't think it will disappoint. :)

• amcelwee
    amcelwee
    Community Member

@peri the disappointment is already there. You guys have been saying "soon, soon, soon" for months now. The most disappointing thing is that you guys have lost the "agile" spirit that your company name attempts to convey. Your approach to Android support is anything but that. "Agile" would be building out Material Design weeks or months, not years, after it becomes widespread. "Agile" would be implementing fingerprint support weeks or months after the 6.0 release, especially when you appear in the 6.0 release announcements and then post a "sneak peek" on the blog back in May. It's now clear that was simply a photoshop job, and your designers or product managers are better than your Android dev team . Finally, if you really want to be considered agile, these two long overdue features wouldn't be shackled together in a perpetually delayed gigantic release.

• 411pass
    411pass
    Community Member

Unfortunately Android is not the only issue. There's a long standing issue with Chrome and multiple profiles that seems to get worse and worse with each new Chrome release and there's still no fix for it:
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/51251/1password-mini-opens-after-successful-filling-with-known-issue-with-multiple-profiles-in-chrome#latest

Sad but true, the focus at Agile seems to be on Safari and iOS. I wish I knew this before I bought the Windows and Android versions.

• EnerJi
    EnerJi
    Community Member

Hear, hear, everyone. I agree with all the recent customer comments.

• If you’re interested in a summary of our progress, please have a look at Jeff’s post from yesterday. It touches on what we are working on and when you can expect a beta from us. Hope that helps with a timeline!

• trammel
    trammel
    Community Member

@peri It's not a matter of us "feel"ing that Android's not a priority, it's a self-obvious fact.

Look at https://blog.agilebits.com , in the last 6 months, at rough count, there's been 18 posts specifically about Mac/iOS features or development, and 2 specifically about Android.

It's really not "feel", it's just simple facts on the ground and what has & hasn't been outputted by Agilebits

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@trammel: While I see your point, keep in mind that there's a lot that goes on behind the scenes long before you see an app update or blog post — otherwise we'd never get to that point. Keep an eye out for both. ;)

• Xaelias
    Xaelias
    Community Member

@brenty While I see your point. I still use both windows and OSX application. And let's face it, the OSX one is far superior. And my roommate has an iphone and I own an android. And let's face it, the IOS one is much better, again.
    We never said you are not working on the android one, or not making progress. But let's be honest for a bit, mac has been the primary focus for a long time. And us waiting (again!) for updates or blog posts does not change that fact :-)

• opuntia2
    opuntia2
    Community Member
    edited January 2016

The same comments (on both sides) keep going round and round. I think this thread has run its course.

• I hear you loud and clear, @Xaelias. This next release ought to close the gap quite a bit, so that we can concentrate on awesome new features afterward. :)

• Gerrd
    Gerrd
    Community Member

Guys, January first week has officially been delayed to another SIX weeks starting from yesterday.

• Hi @Gerrd. I'm not sure where you heard that a release was scheduled for the first week of January, since we've been careful to avoid giving any ETAs. Part of the reason is we hate to promise a certain date and then not make it. However, as Jeff pointed out in this comment on the 6th, we are indeed hoping to have the next release out within the next six weeks! :)

• Einsteinno1
    Einsteinno1
    Community Member

hey @peri don't get frustated, I am waiting and I love to got one of the phones that have Android 6. And to all you guys, sorry, but fingerprint reader got its introduction one year ago, but since Android 6 it is support to be used from other Apps and be honest, how many of you got a phone with Android 6, hä, 1%. So less phones have Android 6 and be honest, it is out since months and how many apps do you know that support the fingerprint reader for anything, häää, none,,, ohhh yeah you are right. So don't screen so loud.

I got 1 Password from the first beta than on a mac years ago. I got it on my mac, imac, years before on an iphone and now on a honor 7 and I am love it every day.

Unlocking 1 Password with the fingerprintsensor on my Android is the last thing I am waiting for years, since iPhone introduced it and it will be finished anytime.

I am waiting and hey, Paypal don't have it, Skrill, my Banking App,, NOO, Facebook or damn, any other App, so just wait and be patient.

• Xaelias
    Xaelias
    Community Member

@Einsteinno1 Well I can repeat what we already said again. Maybe I don't have any other app. But really, that's the only one I really want to have it. And they PROMISED that they would have this functionality with Marshmallow's release. Which, as you stated, happened months ago. And other major password management systems do support fingerprint (I'm sure they all have other issues)...

Like peri mentioned earlier, they don't announce eta because they know they can't keep this kind of promise (not a criticism, like I totally understand, it's a fact, meeting deadline is extremely hard). BUT, they did promise that. And we are still waiting, and you stating the app is really good on OSX and iOS (which we already said. a lot), does not change that fact :-) But try again, and we can have the same discussion over again.

• SecureStuff
    SecureStuff
    Community Member

Cant wait for the 1Password Imprint to start working. My Nexus 6P is anxiously waiting.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

And they PROMISED that they would have this functionality with Marshmallow's release. Which, as you stated, happened months ago. And other major password management systems do support fingerprint (I'm sure they all have other issues)...
    Like peri mentioned earlier, they don't announce eta because they know they can't keep this kind of promise (not a criticism, like I totally understand, it's a fact, meeting deadline is extremely hard). BUT, they did promise that.

@Xaelias: Nope. We didn't promise what you seem to think we did (simultaneous launch? that would have been impossible without a launch date from Google). We said we're working on fingerprint support for Android M, and we are! The "when" has become a bit clearer of late, but we don't have a date for you yet. Not to be a tease, but we've been testing it internally, so it's a real thing and it's coming. And since Android N hasn't been announced, I'm confident saying that fingerprint support in 1Password for Android will happen first. You can quote me on that! ;)

Cant wait for the 1Password Imprint to start working. My Nexus 6P is anxiously waiting.

@SecureStuff: Yesss! Hang in there. And be sure to sign up for the beta if you're interested. We're almost there! :chuffed:

• intorid
    intorid
    Community Member

@brenty
    Nexus 6P also use your link for the beta can not go there as a link to sign up and start using the beta version of the application?
    Thank you

• Xaelias
    Xaelias
    Community Member
    edited January 2016

We will be adding support for fingerprint unlock to 1Password for Android when Android M launches later this year!

I'm sorry, in your world that means months after android M launches? And the year after it actually launches? Come on, we can be pedantic and everything, but if I tell you that you'll get paid when you actually release the feature, you kind of expect to be paid like the week after no? Not 5 months after that. Right?
    PS: don't laugh to much, the speed you are making progress on this, I might not be surprised to see the development version of Android N before you release imprint to the public...

• intorid
    intorid
    Community Member

And here's another leader appeared Enpass (Fingerprint support) today for free https://goo.gl/p2DLoe
    When will support Fingerprint in 1Password, forced to think about the transition to more flexible solutions that are timely updated

• pandanomic
    pandanomic
    Community Member

We didn't promise what you seem to think we did

I think they're implying that since you guys demoed this at Google IO, there was some reasonable expectation that you actually planned to release fingerprint support when marshmallow came out. Sure, Google didn't give a release date, but they did have several months of preview releases that you could have tested and developed against in order to be ready when it was released.

You didn't.

And here we are.

The post from the other thread yesterday was a lot of fluff that's been promised for a long time now, I think you'll find that you've alienated your users enough that the response will be "wow, they actually did it" rather than any sort of excitement.

• Sorry for the long wait, guys! :( You can expect the beta to be out within the next 5 weeks - with the addition of fingerprint unlock. Once this beta is out, we plan to move to a faster release cycle with smaller changes in each version. Cheers!

• Eluder
    Eluder
    Community Member

Wait, 5 weeks more for the beta? Then how much longer after that for the final release?
    What about the OPVault support, will that be in the same release?

• juanii
    juanii
    Community Member

What about the OPVault support, will that be in the same release?

It seems it won't :( https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/269233/#Comment_269233

• Xaelias
    Xaelias
    Community Member

Being in a company that does releases every weeks, I find this particularly funny ^^

• @Eluder We are indeed planning on getting this release out in beta within the coming weeks. The update will include fingerprint unlock for the new Nexus devices, Material Design, and 1Password for Teams, among other things. Sadly OPVault won't be in this release, but we'll be revisiting that soon. You can read a little more about what we've been working on and what to expect here.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I guess it's all a matter of perspective. Considering how long we've been working on it, it definitely feels soon for us. :blush:

• 411pass
    411pass
    Community Member

I'm sorry but it feels more like you are just starting to work on it, if the first beta is in 5 weeks. The lesson here is to never put "Agile" in the name of your company or product, you're doomed when you do.

This discussion has been closed.