1password 5 extension won't appear in Firefox browser

Options
davshev
davshev
Community Member

I'm using 1password 5.4.1, but it won't show the 4.5.1 extension in my Firefox browser. It appears in other browsers, but not Firefox 43.0.2
The extension appears in the list of my Firefox extensions. I've tried uninstalling both 1password and Firefox, but that doesn't help.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS 10.10.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @davshev,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry that you are having some trouble.

Do you happen to have Avast Web Shield installed/enabled on your Mac?

• davshev
    davshev
    Community Member
    Options

No

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@davshev,

It sounds like you may just need to put the button back in the toolbar. If the extension is installed and otherwise functional (try using the ⌘\ keyboard shortcut on a site where you know you have a saved Login), you should be able to just follow the steps here:

The 1Password button is missing from my browser: Firefox

Please let me know how it goes.

• davshev
    davshev
    Community Member
    Options

It's not possible to do that. The extension icon does not appear under the "customize" list in Firefox. It is only listed amoung the add-ons manager.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

The screenshot you shared is helpful, @davshev. It shows that the extension is definitely installed. Could you also post a screenshot of what you see when you are trying to customize the toolbar? Here is my own as an example:

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks so much for that, @davshev. Quite the conundrum.

The next thing I would try — if you haven't already — is to completely uninstall the 1Password extension from Firefox. Then reinstall it:

https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions

If that doesn't work, I've seen a couple cases where the extension icon cannot be added back to the toolbar due to a corrupt profile. For some reason it only seems to happen in Firefox not other browsers. If you are flexible in your browser choice, you may want to consider Safari (or Chrome).

But you should be able to get things working by creating a new profile in Firefox. We can migrate your bookmarks from your old profile is necessary, but you can create a new profile just to test to see if it works:

1. Start the Firefox Profile Manager
    2. Create a new profile in Firefox
    3. Install the 1Password extension

Are things working in the new profile? Or did reinstalling the extension work?

• davshev
    davshev
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, the new profile worked!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's great news! Thanks for letting me know that did the trick. :)

Do let me know if you have any other questions, or if anything else comes up.

Have a great rest of your week and a lovely New Year!

• davshev
    davshev
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:+1:

• bennygman
    bennygman
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I seem to have a similar problem. I cannot instal the firefox extension. I am running 1Password 5.1 and firefox 43.0.4. The extension does not seem to download. Yes I do have Avast running. Any help would be great. Cheers

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bennygman,

If you completely disable Avast and then try to download the extension does it work?

I know from another query very recently that an Avast user couldn't access our webpage at all. When we disabled Avast everything was fine and I believe it was because Avast was interfering with the certificate chain which is important when your browser needs to ensure that the site you're connecting to is the site it claims to be. I will be curious if you too find that with Avast disabled if Firefox will now allow the extension to be installed.

• bennygman
    bennygman
    Community Member
    Options

Hey, have tried that but no luck. Try to instal, it downloads, looks like it is installing but nothing is hapening...

• @bennygman Do you happen to have a copy of the extension installed already? You can check by clicking the Tools menu and clicking Add-Ons. If there is one, click Remove before installing the extension again. If there isn't, here are a few other things to check:

• Did you disable the Avast app in addition to the Firefox extension it has?
    • Do you have any other extensions installed that may interfere with things? Feel free to list the extensions.
    • Does the extension work properly in your other browsers, like Safari or Chrome?
  • bennygman
    bennygman
    Community Member
    Options

Boom!!! Got it. Schol boy error. Simply went into the tools and clicked "enable". Thanks very much for your help.

• @bennygman Spectacular! Always happy to help out. :) Old-school stuff is the best. If you ever need anything else, feel free to pop in and let us know.

This discussion has been closed.