Forbes site content blocker issue

Options
wkleem
wkleem
Community Member

There are reports of the Forbes website alerting users to disable content blockers and then serving malware upon revisiting the site, say from a Google link or a direct link.

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkleem: Yuck. I know there were reports of this last year, and it's a shame if it's a problem again. Fortunately, there's an easy way to avoid becoming a victim in cases like this: don't accept anything being offered unless you've sought it out yourself.

For example, in this case (much like with other phony "update Flash" popups), just dismiss it and close the window, rather than downloading (or running) the malware to allow it to gain a foothold in your system. :sunglasses:

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

@Brenty I didn't provide a link, but if you must look, here it is:
    extremetech.com/internet/220696-forbes-forces-readers-to-turn-off-ad-blockers-promptly-serves-malware

Otherwise, :(

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

There is a duplication of posts @brenty. The second one of yours is empty when I clicked on it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkleem: Sorry about that. If memory serves I posted in the wrong thread originally and deleted it to avoid confusion...though it appears I may have caused even more! :dizzy:

That was also one of the stories I had read about the Forbes issue. This unfortunately happens to many high-profile sites, who always have a big target on them. And while I can sort of "forgive" it when it happens the first time, the fact that they don't seem to have learned from previous attacks is disheartening. :(

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

I can understand the confusion. Happened to me a number of times. I pressed send and 3 identical threads appear! I thought you were having one of those moments that @Stephen_C . the community moderator would step in to clean after us. :(

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No, just my own unique brand of silliness. Thanks for being patient with me. :lol:

This discussion has been closed.