Options
skippingrock
skippingrock
Community Member

Issue:
If my router is still online but it has lost its connection

This one's pretty to reproduce.
It is similar to the other post, but with one small difference

1. Pull the coax cable on my cable modem so that my wifi router is still active and connected to my cable modem.
  2. The iOS device still has a valid IP addresses from the router.
  3. In 1P browser on iOS type in the URL box: www.macworld.com
  4. 1P browser will try to load https://www.macworld.com
  5. 1P browser will eventually report that it couldn't load the page.
  6. The page doesn't load as expected.
  7. I type into the 1P browser URL box: http://www.macworld.com
  8. 1P browser will eventually come back with an error message: Failed to load page The operation couldn't be completed (NSURLDomainError error -999). OK
  9. The page doesn't load but with a very strange error.

What expected:
1. I expect that if a http:// URL is typed in but the connection between the router and the Internet is severed that I wouldn't see this error.
2. I also expect to see a message saying: Failed to load page Could not connect to server. Check your network connection. OK

1Password Version: 5.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 8.3
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @skippingrock,

Thanks for taking the time to test that and let us know! We really appreciate all the details & screenshot, it's really helpful for us. :)

Now, the "NSURLDomainError" message is actually an Apple error, so I suspect it's not something we have much control over. Out of curiosity, have you tried this same test in the mobile Safari app on your iPad? My guess is that you would have similar results, although the exact error messages might be a little different (1Browser essentially uses a "lightweight" version of Safari, so there are some small differences with things like that).

• Zebedee1
    Zebedee1
    Community Member
    Options

Hi the last two days I am getting this same domain error 999 pop up when trying to use 1Password to log in to a website,on both an iPad Air AND an iPhone6,my connections are stable nothing has been changed for ages ,up until a couple of days ago I visited this website 20+ times a day using fingerprint signin,howver since this exact same domain error has started I notice the addition from 1Password of a fingerprint has been added to the app to allow you to bypass manually entering master password,,,coincidence or what?? Please fix ASAP ,,,BTW I hate having to go through a forum procedure for a product I have paid for!
    It's laborious ,,,isn't a sure way of getting a result and why I cannot just send a tech question direct to 1Password for them to reply is annoying to say the least!
    Yes they are going to say they get loads of correspondence and steering punters through forums will reduce their workload BUT I consider this particular domain error to be serious hence the frustration,thanks.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Zebedee1,

I'm so sorry to hear that you're having trouble with 1Password! Just to explain where things are getting tangled up, 1Password version 5.4.3 used a different API for handling https/http differences than version 5.5. It turns out there are some issues with this new API that are causing the protocols to be handled incorrectly. We've filed Rdars with Apple and we're also investigating to see if we can correct this on 1Password's end. I've added your comments to the issue in our internal tracker to let the team know that a fix for this is important to you.

We appreciate your patience as we look into this.

ref: OPI-2914

• Zebedee1
    Zebedee1
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,thanks for your quick response,you have no idea how infuriating this has been for me,I wish I could have just picked up a phone and called you straight away,it was preying on my mind last night,I hate things not working and I am so used to using 1Password now across all my IOS and OSX devices and this spanner in the works and no immediate solution is going to annoy me daily! Could you e-mail me directly at all when (if) it gets fixed,what are the chances and what timeframe are we looking at? Cheers in advance

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Zebedee1,

Again, you have my sincere apologies for the frustration you experienced. It sucks when things aren't working as you expected. At this time, we are not able to offer phone support - we're a small team and we don't outsource our support - so the forums really are the quickest way to get the answers you need. Often, you'll find that your question has been asked and answered before you even need to post, and we have a wonderful team of AgileBits staff (and some generous moderators who donate their time) monitoring the forums 7 days a week to answer your questions quickly.

I've added a note to the issue in our internal tracker to update this thread when there are any changes, and I would also advise you to take a peek at our release notes when an update is available, we always list the changes and fixes there too. :)

• Zebedee1
    Zebedee1
    Community Member
    Options

Hi still struggling with constant domain error NSURLE -999 in my IOS devices,reported it to Apple as well (like they're going to take note) realistically how long do you think it's going to take before this is fixed please?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Zebedee1,

Thanks for checking in on us! I'm sorry to say that I don't have an update for you at this time, but I'll remind our team that you'd love to see a fix for this as soon as possible.

• Zebedee1
    Zebedee1
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,well it's still not fixed and I am getting sick of waiting,any sign at your end of a fix please?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2015
    Options

@Zebedee1: Indeed. I'm sorry for the inconvenience! The development team is aware of the issue and this is slated to be fixed...but we've only released a single update since this was reported, so this wasn't part of its development cycle already in progress. There's a radar filed with Apple for this issue and we hope to find a workaround for this in the mean time, but we're not able to discuss work in progress or pre-announce releases. Thanks for your patience! :)

ref: OPI-2914, JVH-25442-189

• Zebedee1
    Zebedee1
    Community Member
    Options

Ok thanks,i realise its an Apple error ,the frustration for me is in the fact that Apple would not take any notice of a private individual however many thousands of pounds I've invested in their products since migrating to OS X and IOS!
    Whereas yourselves managing to have got your 1Password integrated directly in to their Safari browser means you have more clout when it comes to rectifying a bug IMHO Lol,"hopefully" this time next year it might be fixed,until the next bug?

• skippingrock
    skippingrock
    Community Member
    Options

I'm confident that eventually this will all be sorted out.
    Perhaps this might also be something on the end of the website that you are trying to access that could help.
    As I mentioned in my initial post, this error happened for me on sites that don't have their https: server configured correctly.
    For me, I've only had this error occasionally, and under specific situations and with specific web servers. Is this issue only happening with this one site? Is it a public site that you might be able to share the URL so that others and AgileBits could test against. If it is just with one website that this is happening with, you might want to look into whether or not something has changed in the configuration of that server. Perhaps something is set up, or not set-up correctly, that is causing this error.

Anyway, I've always found this forums for AgileBits very good and they do ring true to their name of being Agile in being able to look into the matter or issues. But if this is something on Apple's side, well we are very much at the mercy of their development schedule and as you know, they've been pretty busy just working to get the new OS versions out. The fact that the error coming back is prepended with "NS" does tell you that it is a deep OS issue. NS standing for NextStep, which is the predecessor to OpenStep and base foundation for what we know as OS X, iOS, WatchOS and now tvOS. I think it is awesome that they've been able to successfully scale Steve's old company's OS into so many different forms. I am so glad that they didn't go with BeOS! Or lives I think would have been so much different. Love him or not, this was Gil Amelio's goal and why he was hired, to get Apple turned around, and he did by bringing back Steve and the NeXT crew. I doubt that iPhone and all these other devices would never exist. (Just imagine! Ugh!)

It might be interesting to see if iOS 9 and OS X 10.11 fixes these issues or if they still persist.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Lol,"hopefully" this time next year it might be fixed,until the next bug?

@Zebedee1: Fair enough, but...ouch! :lol:

As I mentioned in my initial post, this error happened for me on sites that don't have their https: server configured correctly.

@skippingrock: I think the takeaway here is that WKWebview (and therefore 1Password) is not handling this gracefully at all. That's a problem for all of us, regardless of the source, so if there's something we can do to mitigate this and make things easier for you, ourselves, and the rest of the 1Passwordusers out there, we will. :chuffed:

The fact that the error coming back is prepended with "NS" does tell you that it is a deep OS issue. NS standing for NextStep, which is the predecessor to OpenStep and base foundation for what we know as OS X, iOS, WatchOS and now tvOS. I think it is awesome that they've been able to successfully scale Steve's old company's OS into so many different forms. I am so glad that they didn't go with BeOS! Or lives I think would have been so much different. Love him or not, this was Gil Amelio's goal and why he was hired, to get Apple turned around, and he did by bringing back Steve and the NeXT crew. I doubt that iPhone and all these other devices would never exist. (Just imagine! Ugh!)

I totally nerded out reading this. Has it really been that long? :glasses:

• skippingrock
    skippingrock
    Community Member
    Options

Yup. Scary eh?
    I'm trying to make sure my sons learn and respect the history of the computer and not just take it for granted.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Good luck with that! ;)

I think it takes a certain breed of technophile to enjoy these sorts of things (perhaps akin to Civil War buffs), and you, sir, are my kind of people. :lol:

• Glanni
    Glanni
    Community Member
    Options

Any update on this?

I have same issue I guess, right?

• That would be the same issue, yes. Unfortunately I do not have further information to share at this point. If you must access sites that have an invalid SSL certificate we recommend using Safari for the time being.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Ben

• Glanni
    Glanni
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

Still no news on this?

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Glanni,

Using Safari is currently the only option.

Thanks.

Ben

• Glanni
    Glanni
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

This is still open issue, right? Apple doesnt seem to change this..?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Glanni: Indeed, we've filed a radar with Apple, and we're continuing to pursue our own solution, but so far there isn't a solution. Safari, however, is still a viable workaround. I too find it strange that there would be such a discrepancy between Safari itself and Apple's WebView. :blush:

ref: OPI-2914

This discussion has been closed.