Feature Request: Add the ability to scan your credit cards to save it in 1Password

Ed0217
Ed0217
Community Member
edited October 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

The inability to directly import credit card data using image/scan is a real limitation. Apple Pay is the model to use here. It gets all the data correct with one scan. Then you would add other text data as needed.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Ed0217,

I do agree, it would be absolutely amazing for us to handle credit cards the same way. However, Apple's method is their own and they do not share that with everyone to use as an API as far as I am aware.

It is not that simple to take a picture, perform optical character recognition on it and get the data correct on the first try. This alone would take a lot of our resources if we have to do it ourselves and we have no plans to do this. If we find an open source library with a license that can allow our products to use it, we might investigate and see if we can do the same thing. It is possible that 1Password on your smartphone is required to scan the card and then sync it to 1Password app on your desktops.

Thanks for letting us know that this would be useful for you.

• ccdavies
    ccdavies
    Community Member

I strongly support his enhancement request! I am a very long time 1P owner I was very surprised to find that this feature is missing from the IOS app. At the very least you could make it easy to capture images of credit cards into the IOS app as many times it is valuable to have more than just the number. OCR of the card number/CCV would be a logical and competitive step as well as the phone number for the company. A useful comparison is the free Goodreads IOS app. It uses the camera to scan book barcodes (yes, that may be easier) and load them into your database. Can you access the Siri API's to let us read the info in to you?

• Hi @ccdavies,

At the very least you could make it easy to capture images of credit cards into the IOS app as many times it is valuable to have more than just the number.

Capturing images with the camera and adding attachments are something we do want to add to 1Password in the future, we just need to finish something else first before this support can be added.

Can you access the Siri API's to let us read the info in to you?

I'm not sure what you mean by this, can you clarify what you expect Siri to do here? Do you mean speak the credit card numbers into 1Password with the voice dictation?

• ccdavies
    ccdavies
    Community Member
    edited November 2015

Yes. Would it be possible to add the microphone icon to the keyboard when in 1P so I could dictate info into 1P as opposed to typing it in? OCR would be best, but I will take the incremental improvements you can support.

• I can see how that might be useful, @ccdavies and you can use the Siri dictation feature to add information whereever the regular keyboard is available in 1Password.
    For credit cards and other numbers-only fields we use the iOS number pad because it makes typing in numbers much more comfortable and less error prone.

We'll take you request into consideration, though :)

• christianjul
    christianjul
    Community Member

PayPal has an open source SDK for exactly that; https://www.card.io/

Get coding ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@christianjul: Awesome! I wasn't aware of that. Thank you! :chuffed:

ref: OPI-2284

This discussion has been closed.