2 versions on same Mac. Want to consolidate.

Options
sparrow
sparrow
Community Member
edited January 2016 in Mac

I seem to have 2 versions of iPassword running.

1Password
Version:5.4
Contains 502 items
Purchased from: I think it's the Apple Store

1Password 5
Version:5.3
Contains 255 items
Purchased from: I think it's a newer purchase direct from AgileBits

Obviously I'd really like to have just 1 and can delete 1 of them but first I was hoping to merge their passwords etc

Can anyone tell me if this is possible?
Many thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb-search:2 versions

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@sparrow,

It is easy enough to export the contents of one vault via 1PIF and import it into another.

I don't believe there is a de-duping or merging facility in 1Password under these circumstances (like entries from either vault will have different internal identifiers called UUIDs).

This is a hard problem, and can't reliably be done without human intervention. For example, you have two vaults A and B. You want your items from vault A to be the master, and you want to merge and de-dup items pulling in from vault B. And you have an entry called My Login. But you've deleted a field or two in the item on B, and added a field to the item on A. Given that, what is the state of correctness now?

I've considered writing a de-dup helper as part of the converter suite of utilities. It would read the contents of two or more 1PIF files, and output a single 1PIF to be imported as the new master. It would remove absolute duplicates, and leave the conflicts data in the Notes section for you to sort out (similar to what 1Password does when it detects conflicts during syncing).

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @sparrow,

If you were to go down the route of using an exported 1PIF file which MrC mentions he's correct that there is no de-duping or merging. The reason is that when we import a 1PIF now we create brand new Universally Unique IDs (UUIDs) for each item meaning 1Password won't try to compare. I suspect MrC mentions 1PIF because he's an absolute master with them having helped hundreds of people convert from other data formats to 1PIF to allow them to import their data from other sources.

There is another way though.

1. Launch 1Password 5.app (or 1Password 6.app if you've updated).
    2. Select the file menu option File > Backup.
    3. In the preference window that opens switch to the Sync tab.
    4. If 1Password is syncing already disable it and then set 1Password to Folder Sync, pointing it to your Desktop as the location for the Agile Keychain. The button you need to click should say Create New. If it doesn't please stop.
    5. Quit 1Password using the keyboard shortcut ⌃⌘Q.
    6. Launch 1Password.app
    7. Select the file menu option File > Backup.
    8. In the preference window that opens switch to the Sync tab.
    9. If 1Password is syncing already disable it and then set 1Password to Folder Sync, pointing it to the 1Password.agilekeychain that should exist on your Desktop from step 4. 1Password will ask if you want to merge and the button should be titled Merge Existing.
    10. You may very well have a number of duplicates or conflicts that need handled afterwards but 1Password will merge as much as it can in a safe manner.

To help locate conflicts please see this post that I wrote a couple of days ago for somebody else. It will help you construct a Smart Folder that will locate all conflicts found by 1Password. You may have duplicates too and finding those won't be as easy. Probably the best way would be to order your vault by title so that any duplicates are naturally close to each other. Sometimes checking for Duplicate Passwords in the Security Audit section can help but if the issue is two items with one being out of date then they will be missed here.

Having done this you will now have a single vault containing everything in the Mac App Store version of 1Password. This will free you to delete the 1Password 5.app by moving just the application bundle to the Trash. If you had to disable sync in step 9. you would want to set sync up again so that you're properly syncing again.

Now you may very well have a few questions so please do ask before starting if you do. It's best you're happy with what's going to happen before you start rather than there being a surprise part of the way through. We've taken backups prior to doing any merging though so there isn't anything that can't be undone.

This discussion has been closed.