Chromebook support

Options
lucidtruism
lucidtruism
Community Member

I have seen several posts on people asking you about Chromebook support and am disappointed at your lack of support for this OS. For those of us that run our businesses off of Chromebooks it is a disappointment to say the least. I am required to remember (aka word or google doc) all passwords and usernames and then when I get home put them into my personal desktop windows machine 1Password app because when I work out of my home I use a Chromebook. Using the excuse of "we are unsure about the future of Chromebooks because they may merge with Android" is poor and honestly not accurate since Google itself has said they will continue to support Chrome OS after any Android and Chrome merger - http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/30/9641952/google-chrome-os-not-dead-hiroshi-lockheimer . You already have a fully functioning Chrome extension. The only limitation is that you require a local dropbox account, this is the disconnect for Chromebooks. (Your app is the only reason I even use dropbox anymore as I have moved everything to Google Drive.) If you added an online function for dropbox like you do in your android app (since the dropbox android app cannot store dropbox files locally you already know how to implement this feature) or added support for Google Drive (something that anyone on Chrome or with a Chromebook will already have) then you will have access to your .js file in the cloud at all times. No local sync needed. There are several apps that already use this feature in the chrome store to sync content across Chrome browsers on all platforms so this is not a new concept.

Please create something viable for your users across all major platforms. It is clear that you have many users begging for this feature.

I will give you a few more months in hope that a chrome extension will emerge since I have already paid for your product on a few different platforms but if this is not added soon I will be moving to LastPass. I don't like the idea of the subscription-based service of LastPass (which is why I chose you to begin with) but at least it works on all modern operating systems. At least they are up to date with current technology trends.

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You already have a fully functioning Chrome extension. The only limitation is that you require a local dropbox account, this is the disconnect for Chromebooks.

@lucidtruism: Not at all. The extensions are just a way for the 1Password app (which does all of the actual work) to integrate with browsers. The Chrome extension absolutely cannot stand on its own, and would need to be essentially created from scratch to be self-contained. The fact that extensions don't have access to the filesystem (and therefore the Dropbox folder) is really pretty minor, comparatively speaking.

Please create something viable for your users across all major platforms. It is clear that you have many users begging for this feature.

We are. Definitely check out 1Password for Teams, which has a real web interface you can actually use right now in Chrome on nearly any platform. Developing a second Chrome extension doesn't do any good for folks running other browsers, so that's definitely not going to satisfy your 'across all major platforms' criterion.

I will give you a few more months in hope that a chrome extension will emerge since I have already paid for your product on a few different platforms but if this is not added soon I will be moving to LastPass. I don't like the idea of the subscription-based service of LastPass (which is why I chose you to begin with) but at least it works on all modern operating systems. At least they are up to date with current technology trends.

We don't currently have any plans to create a brand new extension for ChromeOS, that would need to be maintained separately from all of the other extensions. We're not ruling it out entirely for the future, but I also don't want to get your hopes up. We're a small team, and we're not going to take on something unless we can give it our all and commit to it. As a point of reference, most of our competitors have more bodies on their sales/marketing teams than we have on our roster. We're growing, but we're not in a hurry; and we make the products we do because we love them, not to keep up with trends.

That said, it will definitely be interesting to see what happens with ChromAndrOS. Who knows? That may change the landscape entirely. :)

This discussion has been closed.