Drew_AG
Drew_AG
1Password Alumni

Comments

• stewartmurrie
    stewartmurrie
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem as the OP, but the answer given (that you must use the Mac App Store version to enable iCloud syncing) cannot be entirely true. Here's my story; maybe someone can add clarification.

Yesterday, I downloaded the trial version of 1P6 from the AgileBits website, just to try it out and see if I wanted to switch from LastPass. I setup my first vault and imported my LastPass data. Then I turned on the option to sync with iCloud. This apparently worked: I can see in my iCloud account that 1P is using up just over 1MB of space.

Today, I downloaded the 1P6 trial to a different machine. During setup, instead of choosing to create a new vault, I selected the 'Already have 1P data somewhere else?' option from the startup screen. As the OP mentioned, this does not provide an option to sync with iCloud. However, if I instead go back and create a new vault on the second machine and go to the Sync preferences, there is the option to sync with iCloud. But, when I try to use it, it brings up a webpage that just says "Invalid Request" and that's as far as it goes.

So, something seems not entirely right here. Can anyone from AgileBits comment on the expected behaviour here?

Cheers,

S~

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @stewartmurrie,

The problem you described is actually a bit different than the one from the previous thread, so I've moved your message to a new discussion. I hope you don't mind!

I have the same problem as the OP, but the answer given (that you must use the Mac App Store version to enable iCloud syncing) cannot be entirely true.

Actually, back when the OP from that thread contacted us, it was true that the Mac App Store version of 1Password was required for iCloud sync. That's because we use Apple's CloudKit technology for iCloud sync, and CloudKit was previously a feature that was exclusive to apps sold from Apple's App Store. It was therefore not possible to include iCloud sync in the AgileBits Store version of 1Password, and that's why the OP from the previous thread wasn't seeing it as an option at all.

However, circumstances have changed since then, because Apple has opened up the CloudKit APIs we use for iCloud syncing, so we were able to add iCloud sync to the AgileBits Store version of 1Password 6 for Mac (which we released very recently). It sounds like it worked correctly on your first Mac, but you're having trouble on your second Mac. I'm sure we'll be able to help solve that!

Today, I downloaded the 1P6 trial to a different machine. During setup, instead of choosing to create a new vault, I selected the 'Already have 1P data somewhere else?' option from the startup screen. As the OP mentioned, this does not provide an option to sync with iCloud.

The OP from the previous thread had this problem because they were using a version of 1Password which did not support iCloud sync at all. As long as you're using 1Password 6, it definitely supports iCloud sync - however, there's a known issue where that option doesn't appear during the setup, even though it should. I apologize for the inconvenience!

While our developers work to fix that, the workaround is to set up 1Password as a new user (with a new, empty vault), using the same master password as on your other Mac, and then enable iCloud sync from the sync preferences. It sounds like that's what you did, which is good!

But, when I try to use it, it brings up a webpage that just says "Invalid Request" and that's as far as it goes.

I'm not sure why that's happening, but that's the actual issue we'll need to solve. When you enable iCloud sync in the AgileBits Store version of 1Password 6, it should take you to a site where you need to sign into your Apple ID / iCloud account. Can you please elaborate on exactly what happens on the 2nd Mac when you enable iCloud sync? It sounds like it opens a website - when that page opens, do you get an error message immediately? Or does it ask you to sign into your Apple ID? If you see the page where you sign into your Apple ID, do you get the error message after entering your Apple ID username and password? What else do you see aside from "Invalid Request"?

The more you can tell us about what happens on the 2nd Mac, the better. Thanks in advance! :)

• stewartmurrie
    stewartmurrie
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Drew!

The problem you described is actually a bit different than the one from the previous thread, so I've moved your message to a new discussion. I hope you don't mind!

Nope, totally fine! Thanks for taking a deeper look and helping me out.

...the workaround is to set up 1Password as a new user (with a new, empty vault), using the same master password as on your other Mac, and then enable iCloud sync from the sync preferences. It sounds like that's what you did, which is good!

Not quite - I didn't set up the 2nd vault with the same password (on purpose, because I didn't want to risk corrupting the original).

And, of course, since I wasn't really paying attention when I setup the 2nd vault I now don't remember the password for it >_<

So, can I trash this 2nd vault and start over?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@stewartmurrie: Absolutely! If you just want to delete the secondary vault, select it from the menu, and then go to 1Password > Delete Vault. Let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• stewartmurrie
    stewartmurrie
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty I cannot! The option is grey'd out.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @stewartmurrie,

Are you still able to unlock your Primary vault? Is that screenshot what you see with the Primary vault unlocked and selected? There's not even a "switch to vault" option in that menu so I'd guess that 1Password app only has one vault, the Primary. At this point, I think we'd be able to help you more efficiently if we could see a Diagnostics Report.

If you wouldn't mind, please create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac and email it as an attachment to support+forum@agilebits.com. Please also include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and get back to you swiftly.

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• stewartmurrie
    stewartmurrie
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Vee: No, the screenshot is from the 2nd Mac with the 2nd vault. I think the problem is that I don't remember the password for it, so I can't unlock it in order to do anything with it. There's nothing in that vault that I care about, so what I'd really like to do is just blow it away and start over. Is that possible?

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @stewartmurrie,

Absolutely! This guide should help you do that:

How do I start over with an empty vault?

And this time when you're setting up 1Password 6 from start, when creating a new vault, use the same Master Password as on your other Mac, as Drew recommended above. This won't do any harm to your existing data or vault, and most importantly, you'll remember it. :)

• stewartmurrie
    stewartmurrie
    Community Member
    Options

@Vee Done and working! After starting over and creating a new vault with the same password, I was able to get syncing with iCloud. It did crash somewhere during the process, but it seems to work fine after it restarted. Thanks for your help!

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2016
    Options

Hey @stewartmurrie,

You're welcome! And thanks for following up with the good news! We have heard some reports of a crash on first launch after installation, but restarting the Mac tends to resolve that issue.

I'm so glad it's working for you now. We're here for you if you need anything else; meanwhile, happy syncing! :)

This discussion has been closed.