No fingerprint unlock for keyboard?

ntimo
ntimo
Community Member
edited January 2016 in Android

Hello,

why can't I unlock the 1pw keyboard with the new fingerprint function? Instead I have to enter my master password. This is kind of un convinient. :) I hope this is just a bug :D

Because in my understanding the fingerprint unlock is to make life more easyer and take away the typing of a long and complicated Masterpassword every time we try to access our vault data. So why not on the keyboard where it would be needed most?

1Password Version: 1PW for Android 5.0 Beta 1
_Extension Version:
Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• EnerJi
    EnerJi
    Community Member

I'm also experiencing the same issue, and also hope it's just a bug. I'm using a Nexus 5X running 6.01 and the January security updates.

• Hey @ntimo,

I hope you are enjoying the new beta!

We are absolutely planning on being able to unlock the 1Password keyboard with the fingerprint function. In fact it is one of the features that I am looking forward to the most as it will make the experience so incredibly much nicer.

We had a ton of new features and improvements go into our first beta release, but a few of the features we are still working on and did not quite make the cut. Now that the first beta has been released we are going to have regular beta updates and you will see both fixes and new features added pretty quickly. The fingerprint keyboard unlock is very near the top of that list, so it shouldn't be too long.

Thanks
    -Jeff

• faisal233
    faisal233
    Community Member

@Jeff Shiner

Let's go over what's actually in the beta.

Material design: New icons, slide out menu. Pretty tame ui update but better than nothing.

Finger print support: I didnt know it would be possible to add fingerprint support and make 1password a worse experience, but here it is. Fingerprint disables pin code (which is fine), doesn't work with the keyboard (wtf?) and now I have to type in my master password every time. No thanks, I'll stick with the pin.

Teams: I don't care, and non of your Android users care. You guys obviously do so you can monitize your app further but I'm not paying you a dime more after the miserable experience on Android. For me, 1password is a damaged brand.

Look man, we aren't even asking for feature parity with ios. Proper fingerprint, universal search, multiple vault (not teams) and opvault support are the most requested and entirely reasonable set of feature request that agilebits should have delivered by now since they spent the last year not updating the Android app. We got told "wait for the beta!" as an answer to our complaints and the beta can only be described as lipstick on a pig.

Do you or any of your team even use Android as a daily driver? Maybe you should and then you'll realize what a poor user experience 1password really is.

And I'm especially tired of your dev teams repeated insinuation that 1password Android is free. Your Android users didn't just download a free app and then start complaining, we all spent $50-$70 on 1password licences and then realized that our most used computing platform isn't really supported. You advertise Android support because you realize that Android users wouldn't pay for 1password desktop without phone support, its time to make a real effort on Android or go back to being an apple shop.

• EnerJi
    EnerJi
    Community Member

@faisal233 @Jeff Shiner

Finger print support: I didnt know it would be possible to add fingerprint support and make 1password a worse experience, but here it is. Fingerprint disables pin code (which is fine), doesn't work with the keyboard (wtf?) and now I have to type in my master password every time. No thanks, I'll stick with the pin.

WOW. I enabled pin last night after encountering the "master password required to fill from keyboard" issue, and thought fine, not ideal, but I'll use fingerprint to unlock the app, and Pin when filling from the keyboard. I never realized that one disables the other. Ridiculous. You're absolutely right, it's probably best to stick with the Pin code for now. How depressing.

You guys obviously do so you can monitize your app further but I'm not paying you a dime more after the miserable experience on Android.

Proper fingerprint, universal search, multiple vault (not teams) and opvault support are the most requested and entirely reasonable set of feature request that agilebits should have delivered by now since they spent the last year not updating the Android app.

And I'm especially tired of your dev teams repeated insinuation that 1password Android is free. Your Android users didn't just download a free app and then start complaining, we all spent $50-$70 on 1password licences and then realized that our most used computing platform isn't really supported.

Completely, 100% agree with all of the comments from @faisal233 above.

I'm sure the Android team has worked very hard and kudos to them for releasing what appears to be a stable beta. It seems pretty obvious, however, that the Android team continues to be underfunded compared to the other platforms Agile supports. To wit:

Fingerprint support (albeit probably hacked together) was demonstrated in May of last year. The last feature release (WiFi sync) was released over six months ago, with the previous feature release (keyboard fill) was released three months prior to that (over 9 months ago).

With six months since the last feature release (more than twice as long as the break between the last feature release), and over 8 months since the Google I/O fingerprint demo, I am incredulous that all we have is a partial implementation of fingerprint support and a Material Design "redesign" that does nothing to address the #1 usability issue of the old design, which is the buried search functionality, let alone any of the other very significant backlogged features noted above!

I am beyond dismayed. I had been waiting for this beta to determine whether it made sense to kick the tires on 1Password for Teams, really dig into the 1Password for Teams Security Whitepaper, etc. and this Android release (accompanied by only vague assurances of new betas coming faster in the future) makes me feel as if my time would be better spent searching for another password platform altogether.

• zendnez
    zendnez
    Community Member

+1 to the comments made by @ntimo, @EnerJi, @faisal233

@Jeff Shiner

This beta is a swing and a miss. More relevant to me, personally, it's like the first half of the Seahawks vs. Panthers game last week. Watching the first half of that game was painful - you know the team can play much better but they're just not bringing it.

I can't believe that this release fails to deliver OPVault support. The first thing I did, years ago, when I installed 1Password was to explore the data format. I was one of the early voices asking for you guys to address the data leakage issues AgileKeychain. At the time, the team spent way too many calories in forums and elsewhere trying to justify leaking URLs and titles as an ok thing. It's now been a very long time since you announced that you were going to address it with OPVault + DropBox. But we're still left out in the cold. Why is that not the #1 feature in this release since you're claiming a version jump from 4.x - 6.x? Same for Windows.

I've used 1Password on iOS extensively. You certainly got TouchID support right for that platform. Reading the comments above in this thread just leave me baffled. You don't have the feature unless you have something that works end-to-end across a scenario. You guys are putting the IQ into figuring out how to make great end-to-end experiences on Mac and iOS. You're just not doing it on Android and Windows.

I think we all get the monetization situation you're in. You're trying to do something noble and keep the base 1Password apps at the buy-once model. You came to the obvious conclusion that you need recurring monetization in the form of subscription in order to sustain or grow. Teams is the big bet. We get it. I personally get it. With a family of 4 including a teenager and near teen, I'd love to be a Team user (assuming your upcoming family pricing is compelling - for example, if I could give you $100 a year vs. $5/family member/month). To convince me to do that, though, you have to have a great offering on Mac/Windows/Android/iOS because my family is on all of those platforms. It's even more of a requirement at work where the BYOD model dominates (but you better get serious about MDM if you ever want to be taken seriously as a front-door solution).

Anyone taking the time to show up here, in your forum, is by definition one of your most passionate users. I'm in that bucket. What I'd love from this upcoming release is:

OPVault support

End-to-end fingerprint support. I'm ok entering my master password once after a reboot. Not again after that until the next reboot. Use the Android cred APIs if you're not already. You'll get hardware protection for keys. I'm sure you know that.

Material design and usability improvements. Sounds like you got this one nailed. That's awesome.

Improved support for entering creds into apps without the need of a custom keyboard. I think I'm probably out of luck on this one given that you haven't said anything about it yet. I can live with that but would like to see it soon.

Thanks for your time.

• Xaelias
    Xaelias
    Community Member

I'm actually surprised people use the keyboard. This is the worst part of the app yet. And that's ok, I'm not expecting 1password to be a keyboard. That's not why I bought it.

• I couldn't agree more, @zendnez:

Anyone taking the time to show up here, in your forum, is by definition one of your most passionate users.

We <3 you guys for that. We are always looking to enhance 1Password, and love hearing what our users want.

There is tremendous amount of work that went into the 1Password 6.0 beta and we are really happy to be able to share it with our users! Of course, there is room for improvements and new features.. and these are the things we are going through right now.

We don't directly discuss our future plans, but there are a few changes that have been confirmed to be coming in a future beta. Fingerprint Unlock for the filling keyboard and quicker access to search are both targeted for an upcoming beta. I think the best way for us to show you is to do it, so that's what we are going to do!

We appreciate your feedback and we love to hear more on newer beta releases. Thanks for helping make 1Password for Android better. :)

• nickjbedford
    nickjbedford
    Community Member
    edited January 2016

Am I the only one who updated into the beta program only to find that it was basically the same application with Material Design?

There are literally no more features except Teams than the ghastly old version on the normal store. Do I need Android Marshmallow to get extra features or something? I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S6 edge on Android 5.1.1.

It feels like there's about one person working on the Android version while everyone is smashing away on iOS/Mac versions. Android isn't exactly a small marketshare!

I love the Mac and iOS versions but 6b1 is still barely usable :(

• Xaelias
    Xaelias
    Community Member

@nickjbedford Well that and fingerprint :-)

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member

@nickjbedford you will need Android 6.0 on your s6 to use the fingerprint function. Because 1pw uses the new API's provided into Android 6.0 for Fingerprint.

• BXIA
    BXIA
    Community Member

I'm a little bit curious about if the dev team members is really using Android cellphones as their daily basis. I was excited about this beta, but seems it's still barely usable. At least add fingerprint support to the keyboard ASAP please, I'm tired of typing master password every time.

• Xaelias
    Xaelias
    Community Member

@BXIA I'm surprised you are not tired of using the keyboard!

• BXIA
    BXIA
    Community Member

By the way, is there any third-party client for Android? Thank you.

• BXIA
    BXIA
    Community Member

@Xaelias The keyboard is OK for me, personally I can't figure out other ways to support in-app filling. The iOS version requires developer to add their API, but the Android version even don't have one. So I think maybe it's the only way to do it.
    Switching between keyboards it not something unacceptable (but it's annoying for sure), but typing master password every time is like a killer… We can't push them too hard, otherwise I'm afraid of they just abandon the platform.

• Xaelias
    Xaelias
    Community Member

@BXIA There are other ways, since other application like Dashlane, Last Pass or whatever the names are, do it without a keyboard.
    I really wished it worked as in iOS...

• saad
    edited January 2016

@BXIA I know how much of a convenience Fingerprint Unlock is! It’s hard to go back to typing the master password, especially given how quick the Nexus 6P recognizes my fingerprint. We are working on bringing it to the filling keyboard very soon. :)

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member

@saad best news of the day!

• It is good news indeed! :)

• SteBae
    SteBae
    Community Member

Can't wait! :)

• BXIA
    BXIA
    Community Member

@Xaelias I don't know how other password managers figure it out. Can you tell me a bit more?

• zendnez
    zendnez
    Community Member

@BXIA @Xaelias

@Xaelias I don't know how other password managers figure it out. Can you tell me a bit more?

Out of respect for AgileBits, I I won't mention specific competitors by name - I'll just explain what they do.

At least two of the other leaders in password management category use Android's extensible Accessibility framework to simplify entry of username/password into applications. Android's Accessibility framework is intended to allow developers to build software to help users with sight, physical, etc. challenges. The password folks figured out that they could use this framework to read and control password entry.

One of the apps I played with draws their app's icon on the screen when they think you might have credentials to enter. Another one pops up an Android alert which you tap on to indicate that you want to enter your info.

1Password has an accessibility service but they only use it for the Auto Filling thing which I haven't had much success with.

For what it's worth, I personally want to see fingerprint and opvault support completed before they tackle new input methods.

• BXIA
    BXIA
    Community Member

@zendnez Thank you for your detailed information. Now it looks like AgileBits has a long way to go. Good luck dev guys!

• Xaelias
    Xaelias
    Community Member

@zendnez For me fingerprint is tackled, because nobody should have to use the keyboard to enter their logins. Although I guess I also want they include the fingerprint for this. Opvault is certainly another priority. But hey, it's not like I call the shots here ^^

• zendnez
    zendnez
    Community Member

@Xaelias Well...it's hard to consider anything "tackled" that's still in beta :) On the keyboard thing - I frequently run a few financial apps that love to boot my login after 15 minutes of inactivity. As annoying as the custom keyboard is, it's still better than switching to 1Password, searching for the right login, copying the password, switching back to the app, and pasting it in.

• As I mentioned in a different thread, we will certainly review other suggestions to filling but right now we are focused on making our filling keyboard better!

• Arm
    Arm
    Community Member

@saad any estimate on when we'll be able to use your keyboard to autofill with fingerprint?

• Hey @Arm. Our developers are working on this one currently, and we have it planned for an upcoming beta. :)

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member

@peri Nice, can't wait for this beta. Do you have any idea for an realese data?

• We plan to have a new beta this week, but it's unlikely we will see Fingerprint Unlock for the filling keyboard in this build. There is still some work left to do.. but we are getting close!

This discussion has been closed.